Ford Authority: 2020 Q4 Lux 3-row mid-sized SUV sales

Here's an interesting cut on 2020 Q4 luxury (well, premium, with the addition of a Buick Enclave) mid-sized 3-row SUV sales in the United States. It shows that Lincoln Aviator sales pushed past the Cadillac XT6 and got close to the Audi Q7. It's impressive, but remember these are U.S. sales only. Lincoln lacks the global reach of its European and Japanese competitors, and its sales are still dwarfed by the big three: BMW X5, MB GLE and Acura MDX. Though honestly, the X5 and GLE are closer to Nautilus size than Aviator, and what percentage of them are sold as 3-rows these days?

I just wish FMC hadn't canceled the Nautilus' redesign. The second mid-cycle refresh for 2021 is nice, but it is still starting to get a little long in the tooth.

https://fordauthority.com/2021/03/lincoln-aviator-sales-numbers-figures-results-q4-2020/

Edited by Gurgeh
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

Not many X5s or Q7s have a 3rd row based on what’s around here locally at one of the largest BMW dealers in the country.

X5 is 6 inches shorter than Aviator so it seems to be one of those "only use for very small kids or as a last resort" 3rd rows like a lot of the smaller utilities.

3 hours ago, akirby said:

X5 is 6 inches shorter than Aviator so it seems to be one of those "only use for very small kids or as a last resort" 3rd rows like a lot of the smaller utilities.

Yup, for sure.  It's why they came out with the X7 to have a bigger 3rd row.

On 3/31/2021 at 8:33 AM, Gurgeh said:

Here's an interesting cut on 2020 Q4 luxury (well, premium, with the addition of a Buick Enclave) mid-sized 3-row SUV sales in the United States. It shows that Lincoln Aviator sales pushed past the Cadillac XT6 and got close to the Audi Q7. It's impressive, but remember these are U.S. sales only. Lincoln lacks the global reach of its European and Japanese competitors, and its sales are still dwarfed by the big three: BMW X5, MB GLE and Acura MDX. Though honestly, the X5 and GLE are closer to Nautilus size than Aviator, and what percentage of them are sold as 3-rows these days?

I just wish FMC hadn't canceled the Nautilus' redesign. The second mid-cycle refresh for 2021 is nice, but it is still starting to get a little long in the tooth.

https://fordauthority.com/2021/03/lincoln-aviator-sales-numbers-figures-results-q4-2020/

The Nautilus redesign was never cancelled. It’s still coming for MY2023 and the next Nautilus will be built and exported from China for global consumption. The MY2021 refresh was just meant to keep it fresh for a little longer

6 hours ago, ExplorerDude said:

The Nautilus redesign was never cancelled. It’s still coming for MY2023 and the next Nautilus will be built and exported from China for global consumption. The MY2021 refresh was just meant to keep it fresh for a little longer

Ford can keep their Chinese made Nautilus. They take it from our plant to go build it in China, THEY CAN KEEP IT! Who knows, for all we know Nautilus and Edge or that Fusion whatever it is get built in Mexico in 2023 in EV format!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Oacjay98 said:

Ford can keep their Chinese made Nautilus. They take it from our plant to go build it in China, THEY CAN KEEP IT!

But to be fair you’re getting multiple BEVs to replace them along with battery pack manufacturing which is probably more sustainable over the long run.

It does suck for those of us who would like a new Nautilus but don’t want to buy a Chinese product.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, akirby said:

But to be fair you’re getting multiple BEVs to replace them along with battery pack manufacturing which is probably more sustainable over the long run.

It does suck for those of us who would like a new Nautilus but don’t want to buy a Chinese product.

True enough but that’s a long ways away. Plans can change and I’m grateful that OAC even got future investment at a cost of 600 million CAD charge to the Canadian governments. Why would they export Nautilus when they could’ve even built it somewhere else in N/A. I believe the Nautilus may resurrect as an EV along with the Edge and or Fusion Active. 

1 hour ago, Marc D. said:

Same here. If I can help it, I skip on china stuff.

OAC down for 3 weeks starting week of April 12. A bunch of other plants are too. I hope you get you’re Nautilus sometimes soon. What did the dealer tell you about delivery??