What am I missing F350 vs F250 w/ HCTT?

What am I missing?  We are on the edge of ordering a SD.  It's my understanding there is no functional difference between an F350 and an F250 with the high capacity trailer towing package.  

As I understand, the HCTT package adds the F350 larger differential and heavier springs to a F250.  The price difference is minimal but, in some states the registration and insurance is more with the F350.

31 minutes ago, Rivercityjeff said:

What am I missing?  We are on the edge of ordering a SD.  It's my understanding there is no functional difference between an F350 and an F250 with the high capacity trailer towing package.  

As I understand, the HCTT package adds the F350 larger differential and heavier springs to a F250.  The price difference is minimal but, in some states the registration and insurance is more with the F350.

Is your state only considering the model # designation, or are they looking at the GCWR # ?  The 250 w/HCTT should have an higher GCWR #, same as the 350.  Looking at the information supplied in the RV/Towing guide.

HRG

• Like 1

In Texas, initial registration is 6.25% of vehicle cost/fair market value.  With disabled vet plates, the yearly renewal is $50.  Same for an F250 or an F350.

Our main concern is the payload capacity pulling a 5th wheel or bumper pull trailer.  With a 5th wheel pin weight of 2000-2500 pounds, a loaded diesel F250 is really close to max payload or over it.  

The F250 GCWR jumps from 23500 to 30,000 with the HCTT package 535.  The F350 GCWR is 30,000 unless you opt for the 10,000 GVWR package.  The actual payload is on the door Safety Compliance Sticker and not published in the Ford Towing guide.  

Edited by Rivercityjeff

25 minutes ago, Rivercityjeff said:

With a 5th wheel pin weight of 2000-2500 pounds, a loaded diesel F250 is really close to max payload or over it. 

So what are you seeing for the max payload number on a F-250 with.HCTT vs a F-350 SRW?  That's what your real concern is, right?  The plate registration costs that you brought up don't apply, or there is a minimal difference as you stated.

HRG

Edited by HotRunrGuy

HotRunrGuy, that's the problem.  The payload varies based on the options of each truck.  Best I can research, a 2022 F250 LariatCC 4x4 shortbed  w/ HCTT SRW 6.7 should have a payload of about 3300 pounds?  The F350 is close to that number.  The Chevy 2500HD LTZ is 3100-3300 and the Ram 2500 Laramie is 2400ish. 

Edited by Rivercityjeff
AggieDad had better information

8 hours ago, Rivercityjeff said:

If helpful, I just moments ago returned home from picking up my F350 CCSB Platinum with the 6.7L TD.    I left the dealer and drove straight to the CAT Scales and with full fuel, DEF and my wife and me in the truck, here are my numbers.

Per the CAT Ticket:

Steer Axle - 4940 lbs

Drive Axle - 3300 lbs

Total Weight - 8240 lbs

Per door stickers:

Payload - 3397 lbs

Front GAWR - 5200 lbs

Rear GAWR - 7230 lbs

GVWR - 11500 lbs

Per Fleet guide:

GCWR - 30000 lbs

How those stack up to your hypothetical F250 with HCTT, I don't know.   I'm only offering my experience in the hope it's helpful.    3 months and 2 days ago, I was in your exact place.

• Thanks 1

What I gathered from the tow guide is F250 HCTTP is 10,800 GVWR and F350 is 11,400 GVWR.  They are both rated to tow 20k conventional and F250 19,100 5th wheel with F350 22,000.  This is comparing crew cab diesel with 160” wheel base.

My ‘21 Lariat Ultimate, CC, 6.7, 160” with HCTTP has a payload of 2754.

If you haven’t seen this yet it’s pretty cool if you have a vin:

https://fordfleetlive.com/#/VinCalculator

Edited by pig9r
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

might help info

my door sticker is gvwr of 10,000 lbs

but loading data plate lists 5 seating capacity and combined weight of passengers and payload of 2205lbs.. which would indicate empty is 7700lbs give or take. i will weigh it later this week

i have trailer package and 3.31 axle ELD  4x4 crew cab short box. 

Front axle GAWR is 5200lbs and Rear axle GAWR is 6340lbs

not sure how a 30k gcvwr is achieved. 

• Like 1