Exhaust Regens

DonHoll

Hello all,

I am new to the super duty truck coming from a Ram 1500 Eco Diesel.  The baby Diesel did a phenomenal job for me and I still have and love that truck I put 145K miles on her in a little less than 5 years.  That being said, I upgraded to a 2021 F-250 with the 6.7 diesel and I love it so far, only 1700 miles to this point.  My question is this, do these trucks tell you when they do an exhaust regeneration like the Ram did?  I never turn the truck off and always "drive it out" when that message comes up on the RAM.  Just curious what the freqency was and if I would see an indication  anywhere that it was going on.  

Looking forward to a very long time with the super duty and learning all I can about this amazing rig.  Thanks guys and gals for your input.

6 hours ago, DonHoll said:

Hello all,

I am new to the super duty truck coming from a Ram 1500 Eco Diesel.  The baby Diesel did a phenomenal job for me and I still have and love that truck I put 145K miles on her in a little less than 5 years.  That being said, I upgraded to a 2021 F-250 with the 6.7 diesel and I love it so far, only 1700 miles to this point.  My question is this, do these trucks tell you when they do an exhaust regeneration like the Ram did?  I never turn the truck off and always "drive it out" when that message comes up on the RAM.  Just curious what the freqency was and if I would see an indication  anywhere that it was going on.  

Looking forward to a very long time with the super duty and learning all I can about this amazing rig.  Thanks guys and gals for your input.

The frequency depends on idling and if you take more back roads or highway. Also depends if you do a lot of stop and go. I don’t think they display when it goes into regeneration anymore unless your exhaust is getting clogged then it will warn you. The dealer can activate operator regeneration if you do idle a lot, that is where you start a regeneration when idling. 

• Like 1

I am coming up on 3000 miles on my ‘21.  I do a mix of city and highway driving and have found it goes into regen about every 500-750 miles.  When the DPF gets to 75% it will do an active regen.  It takes under 10 minutes to go from 75% to 0%.  When towing it will do a passive regen from any % to 0% if there is enough load.  I have read that if it doesn’t get a chance to complete a regen, it will tell you to drive to clean DPF. I enabled the DPF % screen with Forscan.  You can also enable the ability to turn off auto regen with Forscan.  Without watching the DPF % screen I would not have any idea it was in regen otherwise.  It will regen at any speed as long as engine temp is up to normal.  I pulled into my driveway with 20% left on a regen and it completed it while idling in my drive.

Edited by pig9r
  • Like 1