'21 March Sales/Chart

11 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Strange that they reverted to monthly charts, and then release a Q1 chart instead of March results.

Glad I've kept up with my charts then.   I'll input these Q1 numbers and come up with March results for everyone shortly.....

Also the YTD column is totally redundant. 

Will be interesting to see if the March numbers look worse than Q1.   That might explain it.

15 minutes ago, akirby said:

Also the YTD column is totally redundant. 

Will be interesting to see if the March numbers look worse than Q1.   That might explain it.

Well, that's because it's Q1 - it's no different than the yearly column for January.

Unless my math is off, Escape YTD sales went from 23,043 at the end of Feb to 40,990 at the end of March which means March Escape sales were 17,947!

Meanwhile Bronco Sport sold 9780 in March.

That's combined sales of 27,727 and Bronco Sport and Escape hybrids aren't even fully ramped up yet.

Tell me again why they should have killed Escape.......

Lots of good news in that Ford press release for 1Q 2021 U.S. sales.

• Sales to real retail customers up 23.1% for Ford Motor Co. overall
  • Retail market share up
  • Substantial decrease in fleet sales
  • Electrified vehicle sales up 74%
  • 70% of Mustang Mach-E customers are new to Ford

4 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Lots of good news in that Ford press release for 1Q 2021 U.S. sales.

• Sales to real retail customers up 23.1% for Ford Motor Co. overall
  • Retail market share up
  • Substantial decrease in fleet sales
  • Electrified vehicle sales up 74%
  • 70% of Mustang Mach-E customers are new to Ford

Considering the low inventory and production cuts due to the microchip situation, it's looks like a positive report. As usual with any company's reports of this type there's always a creative, positive spin presented. It's hard not to be able to report a 74% increase in electrified vehicles when both the Mustang Mach-E and F-150 PowerBoost Hybrid are so new to the market. It is interesting and important that 70% of the Mustang Mach-E sales are to conquest customers new to Ford. With both the Mach-E and the upcoming Bronco later this year, Ford finally has products that will produce conquest sales in strong numbers. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

As usual with any company's reports of this type there's always a creative, positive spin presented. 

Good point ice-capades sir, I agree. Ford PR people are just as good now in doing the creative, positive spin for their sales releases as they have ever been. But if Ford is able to sustain some of the positive trends mentioned in the Q1 2021 report (increased retail market share, cutback in fleet sales, increased focus on electrified vehicles especially BEV, and ability to attract customers who previously would not have considered a Ford product), the company may have a bright future ahead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ice-capades said:

I just looked again at the FMCDealer.com portal and the Ford Media site but they still haven't released the March sales figures even though the media is reporting the March results.

https://fordauthority.com/2021/04/ford-motor-company-sales-numbers-figures-results-march-2021/

I feel like they may not release March-specific numbers, and just went with overall Q1 numbers.

I was able to extrapolate them from subtracting the January and February total from the provided Q1 numbers.  These other places probably did the same.

Edited by rmc523

Ford's March report was up briefly last nite:

Over 17,000 Escapes

Over 9,000 Bronco Sports

Over 80,000 F-Series

Over 11,000 Rangers

Over 9,000 Expeditions

0ver 1,700 Navigators

Over 2,500 Mach Es

Over 200,000 Ford and Lincoln vehicles overall ..... sales up over 23% for March.

Now comes April with greatly reduced 2020 product and inventory of 2021 models are skimpy. For example, Mullinax should have over 3,000 vehicles in stock this spring, and is down to less than 1,200 and only 200 2020s left. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sales up 1% over last year seems positive... this is the first quarterly increase since Ford discontinued Focus and Fiesta. But don't know what other car companies are reporting so need more data to put it in context. Also, volume is down 21k or 4% vs. Q4 2020 so it's not all positive - Ford is still shrinking while Toyota and Hyundai are both growing, almost 100% at the expense of Ford... the same pattern you see in other countries. 

Edge continues to freefall through neglect but Mach E is making up some of that volume in the midsize segment. Wonder what the 25% drop in Transit is about... this is the first quarter in a long time that Transit fell below 30k. A red flag situation for Ford's fleet sales operation. Where did the volume go? Have to wait to see if Promaster and Sprinter sales went up.

Ranger sales momentum seems to stall at 100k annual volume which was the 2020 total (101k). I had expected the sales to continue to increase and for Ranger to pass the Chevy+GMC twins but that may not happen. With Nissan back in the segment I think we may see Ranger sales volume fall this year. 

14 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Sales up 1% over last year seems positive... this is the first quarterly increase since Ford discontinued Focus and Fiesta. But don't know what other car companies are reporting so need more data to put it in context. Also, volume is down 21k or 4% vs. Q4 2020 so it's not all positive - Ford is still shrinking while Toyota and Hyundai are both growing, almost 100% at the expense of Ford... the same pattern you see in other countries. 

Edge continues to freefall through neglect but Mach E is making up some of that volume in the midsize segment. Wonder what the 25% drop in Transit is about... this is the first quarter in a long time that Transit fell below 30k. A red flag situation for Ford's fleet sales operation. Where did the volume go? Have to wait to see if Promaster and Sprinter sales went up.

Ranger sales momentum seems to stall at 100k annual volume which was the 2020 total (101k). I had expected the sales to continue to increase and for Ranger to pass the Chevy+GMC twins but that may not happen. With Nissan back in the segment I think we may see Ranger sales volume fall this year. 

The Kia/Hyundai juggernaut are very scary. Hard to keep up with their new products and most offer hybrid options. And they don't seem bothered by chip shortage. Furthermore, they are still strong in sedans  and god forbid if they ever enter pickup segment. Their business model seems to be offer attractive products inside and out for less money than competition with better warranties. It's working.

15 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Sales up 1% over last year seems positive... this is the first quarterly increase since Ford discontinued Focus and Fiesta. But don't know what other car companies are reporting so need more data to put it in context.

U.S. new vehicle sales in Q1 2021 vs Q1 2020 for some automakers. Numbers are based on total sales (retail + fleet).

• Ford, up 1%
  • GM, up 4%
  • Toyota, up 21.6%
  • Honda, up 16.2%
  • Nissan, up 10.8%
  • FCA US/Stellantis, up 5%
  • Hyundai, up 28%
  • Kia, up 15.7%
  • Volkswagen, up 21%
  • Mazda, up 23%
  • BMW, up 20.1%
  • Subaru, up 22.9%

28 minutes ago, bzcat said:

66,449 Tacoma's sold in the 1st quarter of 2021.   https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-motor-north-america-reports-march-2021-u-s-sales/

HRG

• Thanks 1

Ranger incentives are relatively low at $2300 (compared to F150 at $5K - $6K normally) and I think Ford is content with current volume while the launch Bronco.

The new platform with more choices on engines and cab/bed configurations and more content should easily move that up to 150K.  Not going to catch Tacoma as long as Ranger and Bronco share one plant and not without significant fleet sales and big incentives none of which Ford wants to do.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

The Kia/Hyundai juggernaut are very scary. Hard to keep up with their new products and most offer hybrid options. And they don't seem bothered by chip shortage. Furthermore, they are still strong in sedans  and god forbid if they ever enter pickup segment. Their business model seems to be offer attractive products inside and out for less money than competition with better warranties. It's working.

They are the new value players in the market with attractive vehicles.  Margins are small but volume can be pretty big.   Not a bad model but the investment required to be a serious player in the pickup market makes it prohibitive with their normal low margin model even if they had the institutional knowledge.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, akirby said:

Ranger incentives are relatively low at $2300 (compared to F150 at $5K - $6K normally) and I think Ford is content with current volume while the launch Bronco.

The new platform with more choices on engines and cab/bed configurations and more content should easily move that up to 150K.  Not going to catch Tacoma as long as Ranger and Bronco share one plant and not without significant fleet sales and big incentives none of which Ford wants to do.

It seems to me Ford had rather modest sales goals of about 100,000 Rangers/year. Ditto for Bronco Sport. Anything over that is bonus. Explorer did over 24,000 sales in March. Now that has exceeded expectations. On the other hand, Escape sales are below expectations. 15,000/month seems to be the average. Ford was probably hoping for 20,000/month.

20 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

U.S. new vehicle sales in Q1 2021 vs Q1 2020 for some automakers. Numbers are based on total sales (retail + fleet).

• Ford, up 1%
  • GM, up 4%
  • Toyota, up 21.6%
  • Honda, up 16.2%
  • Nissan, up 10.8%
  • FCA US/Stellantis, up 5%
  • Hyundai, up 28%
  • Kia, up 15.7%
  • Volkswagen, up 21%
  • Mazda, up 23%
  • BMW, up 20.1%
  • Subaru, up 22.9%

I suspect that the extreme cold that occurred in much of the U.S. during the middle two weeks of February helped inflate everyone’s March sales, but regardless Ford’s increase looks like it was the lowest in the industry. Nice to see Escape posting better numbers in March, but even adding BS sales to Escape shows Ford way behind RAV4 (47048 March sales) and CR-V (37711). BTW Toyota and Honda sold lots of cars in March -  32541 Camry, 30908 Corolla, 19968 Accord, and 24522 Civic sales.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

Ford's March report was up briefly last nite:

Over 17,000 Escapes

Over 9,000 Bronco Sports

Over 80,000 F-Series

Over 11,000 Rangers

Over 9,000 Expeditions

0ver 1,700 Navigators

Over 2,500 Mach Es

Over 200,000 Ford and Lincoln vehicles overall ..... sales up over 23% for March.

Now comes April with greatly reduced 2020 product and inventory of 2021 models are skimpy. For example, Mullinax should have over 3,000 vehicles in stock this spring, and is down to less than 1,200 and only 200 2020s left. 

I guess if there's a positive of the inventory issues, it's that sales last year were hit hard with shutdowns, so even then numbers may still look better than last year.  ?‍♂️

53 minutes ago, bzcat said:

I know there will always be external factors, but it's hard to know what sales could have been with full production - if they're having inventory issues both themselves and vs. the competition, they're not going to offer as good of deals on things, on top of how we've heard competitors have had better deals prior to that.  So a perfect storm of decreasing inventory and fewer incentives vs. the competition can lead customers to competitors.

28 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

On the other hand, Escape sales are below expectations. 15,000/month seems to be the average. Ford was probably hoping for 20,000/month.

It’s hard to say what Ford expectations were but we know it was a package deal with both Bronco Sport and Escape appealing to different segments so there is no reason to think Escape alone would match the previous version sales wise.  Although it would be a home run if it did that in addition to Bronco Sport.  

Until the electrified Escapes and the Bronco Sports are fully stocked and available it will be hard to judge success but it looks promising.