Ford Inventory Discussion

5 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Based on the Covid-19 impact and the more recent impact on production caused by the microchip shortage I though it might be appropriate to create a new forum dedicated to matters related to inventory in stock, shortages, etc. 

I'll bite. Here in Central FL, my Ford dealership is down to 82 new Fords when 250 is typical. Mullinax is down below 1200 when over 3000 is typical. Those numbers are worsening every week. New cars are like toilet paper...in high demand coupled with low supply.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My dealership is at about half of its normal new vehicle inventory. Only 2 Fusions left and only 2 Mustang GT Convertibles in stock. About a 30-day supply in stock of Escape, 90-day supply of Explorer but sales tend to lag the inventory, F-150 about a 30-day supply, Ranger at about a 15-day supply. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Based on the Covid-19 impact and the more recent impact on production caused by the microchip shortage I though it might be appropriate to create a new forum dedicated to matters related to inventory in stock, shortages, etc. 

I understand the shorthand, but technically the supply shortages are not due to Covid-19 impact, but to government shut-down policies intended to combat the Covid-19 outbreak but which also ended up wrecking economies, throwing people out of work, and disrupting global supply chains. It is heartening to see how fast much of the economy is coming back now that these policies are starting to be reversed, but undoing all of the supply chain damages will take time.

• Like 8

Autonation Ford Fort Worth on Bryant Irvin Road, where I bought my family's 2019 Ranger and where we'll take delivery of a Mustang Mach-E, combined with Autonation's sister store further east on Campus Drive shows the following numbers for new vehicles in stock or en-route to the dealership.

• 164 F-150
  • 115 Explorer
  • 50 F-Series SD (F-250 SRW)
  • 34 Escape
  • 25 Expedition
  • 23 Ranger
  • 21 Edge
  • 19 Bronco Sport
  • 9 F-Series SD (F-350 DRW)
  • 2 Mustang Mach-E

The numbers for pickup truck models in particular are much lower than prior to the Covid-19 impact.

Edited by rperez817

April 1

Mach E........................3,300

Bronco Sport.............17,700

Ecosport....................15,900

Edge...........................14,100

Escape.......................32,100

Explorer......................51,100

Expedition..................14,700

F Series....................123,000

Ranger........................21,200

Transit........................21,600

Transit Connect..........7,700

E Series.......................6,700

Mustang....................13,500

Fusion.........................3,900

• Thanks 1

On 4/6/2021 at 8:46 AM, rperez817 said:

23 Ranger

That's a lot. Around me if a dealer has 5 that's a lot. When I got my new car a month ago the dealer only had 1 Ranger on the lot. Went back a few weeks later for the Bronco event and they had none. Walked the entire lot looking for one. 

• Thanks 1

New vehicle inventory at my dealership, as of this morning.

• Bronco Sport        6
  • EcoSport               4
  • Edge                       9
  • Escape                   9
  • Expedition             1
  • Explorer                 14
  • F-150                      12
  • Fusion Hybrid        2
  • Mustang                 2
  • Ranger                    3
  • Super Duty             4
  • Transit                    3
  • Transit Connect    5

Inventory above includes a number of sold units that either haven't been delivered or purged from the online inventory yet. 

• Thanks 1

What Ford has as total inventory versus what dealers have nationwide for sale varies greatly

but looking at F Series, that low number must be causing the top brass a lot of heartache.

Who knows how high last months sales could have been if dealers could secure more vehicles....

9 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

In other words, if you want a deal on a vehicle, wait a year. 

No doubt about that.  I talked to my dealer yesterday.  Doesn't matter if you're talking new or used, the market in northern Michigan is HOT for everything, but especially trucks.  He only has four F-150's on the lot and no Rangers.  He's taken to buying used trucks and having them shipped to his dealers in Michigan.  Totally nuts.

As a number of knowledgeable people seem to be following this thread, I'll pose this question here.  Has F-150 production been so badly affected by Covid, the Texas freeze, chip shortages, and/or every other supply chain glitch that Ford is not accepting ordered vehicles for production.  One of our sons placed an order in mid-February for a '21 F-150 Platinum 4X4 loaded to the max.  Every time he inquires about it, his salesman keeps telling him that they're still waiting on Ford to "accept" his order.   Could the cause be that certain options  are scarce or unavailable, are dealers having allocations rationed, or?

6 hours ago, Going_Going_Gone said:

As a number of knowledgeable people seem to be following this thread, I'll pose this question here.  Has F-150 production been so badly affected by Covid, the Texas freeze, chip shortages, and/or every other supply chain glitch that Ford is not accepting ordered vehicles for production.  One of our sons placed an order in mid-February for a '21 F-150 Platinum 4X4 loaded to the max.  Every time he inquires about it, his salesman keeps telling him that they're still waiting on Ford to "accept" his order.   Could the cause be that certain options  are scarce or unavailable, are dealers having allocations rationed, or?

It could be all of the above really.

10 hours ago, Going_Going_Gone said:

He needs to stop talking to the sales representative for order status information and talk directly to the sales manager. Sales staff are often unfamiliar with the ordering and scheduling process or have incorrect information. 

If the order was submitted to the USOB (Unscheduled Order Bank) he should get written confirmation that it was indeed ordered... either a screen capture from the WBDO (Web Based Dealer Ordering) system showing it in the USOB and with the appropriate Priority Code or a copy of the Vehicle Visibility Report showing it as a Clean/Unscheduled order. There is no waiting for Ford to "accept" an order. It's either a "Clean/Unscheduled" order in the USOB and available for scheduling or not. Otherwise, it's a matter of available allocation for scheduling and commodity restraints.  

Rural farm store dealer

Couple BS's (area 51 and plain vanilla grocery runner - not impressed - cheap looking interior but area 51 was eye appealing sans horrendous puke color)

Chassis cabs

F250/350 lariets and plantinums with duals

Used trucks with little passenger car selection (as expected)

Amc heep trade-in with sprayer in the rear - most impressed....simple as hell and no crap to clog-up the works

The moment the chip shortage abates, Ford will be running plants hard and going through traditional summer breaks but until then, dealers will struggle getting replacement stock, time on lot will be short.

Edited by jpd80

Since inventory is linked to production, let’s look at what

Ford managed to produce in March

Explorer...........................32,200

Aviator...............................3,329
Mach E..............................6,709

F150 Dearborn................31,115

F150 Kansas...................30,810

F-Series Chassis...............2,860

Mustang............................9,586

Bronco Sport...................18,414

Transit..............................15,109

Super Duty........................30,611

Expedition..........................8,737

Navigator............................2,035

Escape..............................20,937

Corsair................................4,085

Bronco...................................127

Ranger..............................13,393

Ford GT...................................24

Edge..................................12,217

Nautilus...............................2,721

E Series................................4,049

Super Duty OHAP................1,749

MD F650/F750....................1,076

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Since inventory is linked to production, let’s look at what

Ford managed to produce in March

Explorer...........................32,200

Aviator...............................3,329
Mach E..............................6,709

F150 Dearborn................31,115

F150 Kansas...................30,810

F-Series Chassis...............2,860

Mustang............................9,586

Bronco Sport...................18,414

Transit..............................15,109

Super Duty........................30,611

Expedition..........................8,737

Navigator............................2,035

Escape..............................20,937

Corsair................................4,085

Bronco...................................127

Ranger..............................13,393

Ford GT...................................24

Edge..................................12,217

Nautilus...............................2,721

E Series................................4,049

Super Duty OHAP................1,749

MD F650/F750....................1,076

127 Broncos! 0 Mavericks.

On 4/10/2021 at 7:11 PM, jpd80 said:

The moment the chip shortage abates, Ford will be running plants hard and going through traditional summer breaks but until then, dealers will struggle getting replacement stock, time on lot will be short.

According to many semiconductor CEO's, the chip shortage will last into early 2023 at least. So new cars will be like toilet paper....stock up when available.