Ford Inventory Discussion

36 minutes ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

It's time to tell Microsoft to go away and take it's attempt at an infotainment OS with them!

Microsoft hasn't had any part of sync since sync 2. It's been QNX since then. And now that I think of it, the new sync 4 may have been done in house. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

Is it any surprise that Ford is managing to...  lose money at the same time?

They haven't actually lost money on an annual basis in YEARS. The first 1/2 of last year sucked but that was 100% due to the entire company being shut down due to covid and the Explorer/Aviator launch fiasco. This is all very easily found with a simple google search. 

• Like 1

Back to the topic of inventory shortage, I was watching this link today which is an excellent broader discussion of the state of the economy, inflation, government fiscal/monetary policy, and the world of finance. But go to 4:30-5:15 and he recounts his recent truck buying experience. The whole thing is worth watching, but those 45 seconds are illuminating.

https://www.realclearmarkets.com/video/2021/05/14/theres_reasons_to_be_worried_about_inflation_777301.html

• Like 1

fuzzymoomoo, The #vanlife trend has always been there since the 70s when young people realized the incredible value and versatility vans represented and adopted them en masse... Todays young people are making the same realization as well as "retreads" like myself, ran the wheels off a 1st generation Econoline in my youth and now coming back to #vanlife with a Transit Connect. Ford is the leader in vans and should be capturing this trend, but we need to fix little details like the big Transit's being about 2" too tall for garages, etc..

My apologies to Microsoft for continuing to blame them for Sync, though it probably still carries some of their failed legacy.

As for Ford's occasional profit, a company reportedly worth $150 to 260 billion should be producing a better return on investment. Management does insane things, like a year ago when they were selling bonds at 9% so they could offer  0% financing... If Ford would have offered me 9% off for a cash purchase I would have gladly given them a Transit Connect's worth of cheap capital, might have even gone upmarket a bit. But under "mark to market" accounting standards, that might have been admitting that Ford was technically bankrupt...

11 minutes ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

fuzzymoomoo, The #vanlife trend has always been there since the 70s when young people realized the incredible value and versatility vans represented and adopted them en masse... Todays young people are making the same realization as well as "retreads" like myself, ran the wheels off a 1st generation Econoline in my youth and now coming back to #vanlife with a Transit Connect. Ford is the leader in vans and should be capturing this trend, but we need to fix little details like the big Transit's being about 2" too tall for garages, etc..

My apologies to Microsoft for continuing to blame them for Sync, though it probably still carries some of their failed legacy.

As for Ford's occasional profit, a company reportedly worth $150 to 260 billion should be producing a better return on investment. Management does insane things, like a year ago when they were selling bonds at 9% so they could offer  0% financing... If Ford would have offered me 9% off for a cash purchase I would have gladly given them a Transit Connect's worth of cheap capital, might have even gone upmarket a bit. But under "mark to market" accounting standards, that might have been admitting that Ford was technically bankrupt...

Troll! Troll! Troll! There's just no end to it with your misinformation and lack of factual information. No matter what Ford does it's not good enough and/or overpriced. Ford should change the Transit Connect specifications to suit the limited potential of a very small market segment (#vanlife) for a niche vehicle that can't be justified for such a low volume vehicle line. Even regarding SYNC, you falsely assume that the current generation of SYNC includes Microsoft content. And your market assessment of Ford's capitalization or worth is greatly exaggerated compared to actual, recognized market values.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

But they seem to be missing a lot of trends like the popularity of the Transit Connect with motorcyclists (tall enough inside for a bike) and wheelchair users (low floor and seat height for easy transfers or ramp access).

I can't think of anything I'd rather NOT do than drive around with a motorcycle inside my passenger compartment, not to mention the non-DOT gas cans transporting fuel.  I'd have a headache from the fumes before I got out of the driveway.

HRG

Ford-Transit-Connect-Moto-Van-4-1200x962.jpg

A few changes to the standard and optional interior trims is not a major change, especially since the parts already exist. I wouldn't discount young customers buying vans, Ford made that mistake four decades ago and let Chrysler have that market. The sync "brand" was forever trashed by Microsoft, even if they're no longer involved. The asset valuation of $150 billion came from Schwab and $260 billion from Ford themselves.

Edited by GearheadGrrrl
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

I can't think of anything I'd rather NOT do than drive around with a motorcycle inside my passenger compartment, not to mention the non-DOT gas cans transporting fuel.  I'd have a headache from the fumes before I got out of the driveway.

HRG

Ford-Transit-Connect-Moto-Van-4-1200x962.jpg

Done it a couple times from Minnesota to Florida and back with a Mopar Minivan, I drained all the fuel and refilled it at my destination.

1 hour ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

I don't believe Microsoft has been involved since the original SYNC, which was well received.  I have it still and it's always worked well.

6 minutes ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

A few changes to the standard and optional interior trims is not a major change, especially since the parts already exist. I wouldn't discount young customers buying vans, Ford made that mistake four decades ago and let Chrysler have that market. The sync "brand" was forever trashed by Microsoft, even if they're no longer involved. The asset valuation of $150 billion came from Schwab and $260 billion from Ford themselves.

Ford's market capitalization was $46B as of yesterday. Get your numbers straight. And the latest SYNC versions have been well received and not associated with Microsoft's version years ago. 

Your nonsense arguments will stop soon. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Ford's market capitalization was $46B as of yesterday. Get your numbers straight. And the latest SYNC versions have been well received and not associated with Microsoft's version years ago. 

Your nonsense arguments will stop soon. Promise!

6 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Your nonsense arguments will stop soon. 

Correct, for roughly seven years now Sync 3 has been based on BlackBerry QNX.

Our friend does not understand the huge transformation going on at Ford, let alone the $3 billion profit in Q1,

we all know why Q2 will be dreadful for most players but at least Ford is trying to contain losses by selling

down its inventory......if all those inventory builds were as bad as our friend implies, Ford wouldn’t be staring

at a quickly emptying cupboard.

• Like 1

Regarding the inventory situation, Cox Automotive reported recently that the vast majority of retail new car shoppers expect higher prices and fewer sales incentives, and 2 out 5 are willing to pay above MSRP! This is for all brands, not just Ford. U.S. New-Vehicle Shoppers Expect Limited Choices, High Prices - Cox Automotive Inc. (coxautoinc.com)

"The Kelley Blue Book research shows that 87% of consumers recognize the issue is impacting both domestic and import nameplates. As the issue is industry-wide, 73% of consumers are expecting to face higher prices at the dealerships, and nearly 60% believe they will find lower incentives. Four out of ten consumers are willing to pay above the manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP)"

Edited by rperez817

That’s not surprising considering that the chip shortage has been going on most of this year, people trying to buy new cars this year have been living with the reality that a specific order may be months away and grabbing something close in dealer inventory is really their best choice for now. 

How weird is this, dealers asking full price for almost anything they have yet seeing sales evaporate as supply of vehicles dries up,

some would be wondering what  next.....

Mullinax Ford is now dropping below 600 new vehicles when about 3,000 is normal. They do get in new vehicles every week, but daily sales outnumber anything coming in. F150 numbers are really getting low....down to 80. New Escapes and Bronco Sports come in most weeks, but overall those numbers drop too. And hybrids don't last long. The Fusion hybrids are gone and Escape hybrids go as fast as they come in. Ditto for F150 hybrids. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, jpd80 said:

That’s not surprising considering that the chip shortage has been going on most of this year, people trying to buy new cars this year have been living with the reality that a specific order may be months away and grabbing something close in dealer inventory is really their best choice for now. 

How weird is this, dealers asking full price for almost anything they have yet seeing sales evaporate as supply of vehicles dries up,

some would be wondering what  next.....

….its coming....but go ahead...shop for that extra $100...LMAO....

1 hour ago, Deanh said:

….its coming....but go ahead...shop for that extra $100...LMAO....

Yep, this is definitely one of those periods where customers don’t call the shots on “lower price or I’ll  go elsewhere”.

Obviously, buyers are unaccustomed to being told that the price is the price.......what trim levels are now available?

I’m sensing that it’s mostly mid and upper level but accept that mightn’t be true as a blanket statement....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Yep, this is definitely one of those periods where customers don’t call the shots on “lower price or I’ll  go elsewhere”.

Obviously, buyers are unaccustomed to being told that the price is the price.......what trim levels are now available?

I’m sensing that it’s mostly mid and upper level but accept that mightn’t be true as a blanket statement....

High end F-150's are impossible to find! My dealership has a total of FIVE F-150's on the lot. One 502A Lariat Powerboost 2WD and four XLT's.

12 minutes ago, mpcmotorsports said:

High end F-150's are impossible to find! My dealership has a total of FIVE F-150's on the lot. One 502A Lariat Powerboost 2WD and four XLT's.

It’s probably different going from dealer to dealer but no one would be interested in trading stock

just found out that close to 70% of F150 dealer inventory nationally are XL and XLT

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

theres basically not much inventory regardless...and we have been told its going to get worse...uh oh....guess Ill be making minimum payments on everything rather than doubling up...

38 minutes ago, Deanh said:

theres basically not much inventory regardless...and we have been told its going to get worse...uh oh....guess Ill be making minimum payments on everything rather than doubling up...

I feel for you and other sales staff, this is the last thing everyone needs.

Had my first Astra Zeneca shot on Saturday, being a bit older fart with diabetes, I was on the list but holy crap my arm was sore Sunday from elbow to armpit an a no show for work Monday......I must be getting soft.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mpcmotorsports said:

Virtually impossible to dealer trade anything in our market. When we can, we try to get an F-150.

Two eco sports  and a vehicle to be named later for an F150 today.

I read that customers are starting to face the reality of paying what the dealer is asking or someone else will buy the vehicle similar to the housing market.  Not a buyers market.  I’d wager that was is left of inventory more than a month or two old are unpopular trims/options/colors.