Ford Inventory Discussion

On 6/12/2021 at 7:45 AM, ice-capades said:

Ford inventory at the dealership level is going to get a lot worse over the next couple of months. My dealership's inventory is now down 85% from the usual stocking level. And to make matters worse... I just saw the new wholesale numbers for July production... 10 vehicles! 1 Mustang, 5 Bronco Sport's, 3 Ranger's, 1 Transit!

I notice the same at the two local Ford dealerships closest to me; extremely low inventory. I question why more folks do not utilize internet auction sites and purchase low mile Govt. or Fleet owned trucks at near giveaway pricing during this time of craziness.

I run a small fleet of trucks and SUVs and with the exception of one purchased new ( '13 Highlander ) the rest of of the mix is broken into several F150s (old style 7700 series), more than several Super Dutys of F250, F350, E250, E350 fame, a Tundra, a Sequoia, and a PowerWagon 2500. All are set up to tow except the Highlander. Some such as the 6.2 liter SDs are gooseneck capable pullers. All were bought with lower miles and fastidious maint. records and have given flawless service to my uses. The bargains may be had if homework is done...... I truly enjoy the huge discounts former owners have given me via their two-three year depreciation schedules.

I only suggest this as a means to avoid the frustration levels of the moment, which I believe to be temporary. Capitalism and profitability have a way of rising to the surface during adversity. And, guys like myself truly enjoy the new stuff but also enjoy making prudent and slightly 'Scotch' decision making if it means black in the ledger books

b2566c22-8b16-434b-9364-acf501810c56.jpg

130045073_820205098527008_7551797128010475302_n.jpg

9702779.jpg

f0df90aa-b4d0-4f90-987f-acf5017aceaa.jpg

1 hour ago, mrgreenjeans said:

I notice the same at the two local Ford dealerships closest to me; extremely low inventory. I question why more folks do not utilize internet auction sites and purchase low mile Govt. or Fleet owned trucks at near giveaway pricing during this time of craziness.

I run a small fleet of trucks and SUVs and with the exception of one purchased new ( '13 Highlander ) the rest of of the mix is broken into several F150s (old style 7700 series), more than several Super Dutys of F250, F350, E250, E350 fame, a Tundra, a Sequoia, and a PowerWagon 2500. All are set up to tow except the Highlander. Some such as the 6.2 liter SDs are gooseneck capable pullers. All were bought with lower miles and fastidious maint. records and have given flawless service to my uses. The bargains may be had if homework is done...... I truly enjoy the huge discounts former owners have given me via their two-three year depreciation schedules.

I only suggest this as a means to avoid the frustration levels of the moment, which I believe to be temporary. Capitalism and profitability have a way of rising to the surface during adversity. And, guys like myself truly enjoy the new stuff but also enjoy making prudent and slightly 'Scotch' decision making if it means black in the ledger books

b2566c22-8b16-434b-9364-acf501810c56.jpg

130045073_820205098527008_7551797128010475302_n.jpg

9702779.jpg

f0df90aa-b4d0-4f90-987f-acf5017aceaa.jpg

Used vehicles increasing in price in response to the shortage. Noting your Minnesota tags, might be able to get Explorers with "slight" fire damage.

paintguy:

I usually never buy any vehicles from MN, BUT this was used by the state for towing rebar to jobsites in the 6 days of summer they have. Consequently it had zero rust, had low miles, and minor bumps and dents easily taken care of. I bought a blue one just like it in the same condition used by the city of Mpls.  On the door are ghost images stating Parks Dept. so that one had clean frame members, no rust in the panels, and had only traveled 50,000 miles. The interior was like new in both with only minor wear.

Yeah, I hear you on the fire damage issues. Two things I stay away from are diesels (I dislike the International engines passionately) and any of the fire related vehicles that have proven troublesome for Ford. I even park away from them when in close proximity; likewise Teslas and Fiskers. My friend had his car burned to a crisp by an electric vehicle parked next to him when it went off. 

When it comes to my vintage stuff, like the '74 in orange and white I took on our honeymoon (with my dirt bike in back), no salt or winters are allowed to be a part of it's life.

129444418_143873440505875_372658903153141557_n.jpg

abandonedcar_10.jpg

69022107_2585213928184906_4234184536574918656_o.jpg

Paint guy was referring to the Explorers that were intentionally set on fire as part of last year’s riots in Minneapolis.

I suspect the prices at auction sites will be rising along with everything else.  You can find some good deals.  One of my former coworkers would buy from the government auction sites, fix up what was wrong and resell them.  Were you able to inspect the vehicles in person before purchasing?

Yes Sir I could, and in several cases did.

The two F250s from North central California I trusted my instincts on as well as the 6.2 liter gas F250 which came from the rural Seattle area. It had been used by a Federal contractor towing a gooseneck from So. Cal. to SeaTac with Boeing Aerospace goods. 5,000 mile oil changes with Synthetic Mobil 1mean that even at 100,000 miles currently, this brilliant motor producing phenomenal power with excellent fuel mileage (14-16 at 70 mph) simply uses no oil and has never given a moments concern.

Ah yes..... THOSE Explorers.

Nationwide there had to have been quite a few needing replacement  )-;

Here are a few more Govt. units I bid on and won; not a bad one in the bunch mechanically. The silver truck is an ex-Police unit from Central California with very low mileage. Glove box was full of mug shots. A 16 valve 5.4, zero rust, perfect bed and tailgate, in fact looked unused in back. Seller's description said it was a traffic control/surveillance unit.

The old crew cab with Glasstite shell I could not pass up even if it was a MN truck. Also a 16 valve 5.4 with perfect interior and Captain Chair seating, an ex- Govt. Electrical Contractor truck. Super low mileage and bought for $1800.00; the ride is one of the best I have experienced in a Super Duty. I am confident it sold for 25- 30,000 new.

And the other low mileage F350 Stake is an ex-State Fire Control unit from central California with V-10 and auto. It had under 60,000 miles. I don't buy if they are much older than this or come with higher miles, but with proper care a so equipped unit will run 300,000 miles plus. One unit I put 534,000 on and the new owner I practically gave it to, ran it for many years/miles more before trading. 

These are the oldest in the grouping. Newest are all 6.2 liter flex fuel gassers with Ford's trouble free 'Boss engine'

118416413_3274675079289263_2463651052601770088_o.jpg

10104198.jpg

3142094_5083_160_0001.jpg

Edited by mrgreenjeans

I should also mention if they are previously Govt. owned trucks, they always arrive with new rubber mounted, fresh oil and new filters, sometimes new wiper blades, and new windshields if cracked. Trans fluid is always new and clean and coolant is usually new also. Very little has been overlooked before sending out the door. Worst one usually encounters is a marginally clean floor mat or seat surface.

95% of what I buy are Ford because I truly believe they are quality built products. If the new trucks weren't 8-10 times the money I spend on lower mileage used units, I would gladly drive all new Fords..... and stand in line putting in my new orders. And waiting.

Edited by mrgreenjeans
clarification

I used to work out of the Postal Service Vehicle Maintenance Facility in Minneapolis which is responsible for thousands of vehicles, most of which are the little LLV step vans that if they're ever retired go straight to the scrappers. Otherwise we had and sold used everything from sedans to class 8 trucks and semi tractors. Most had been well cared for, you don't get to drive even a sedan at the Postal Service until you've had a day of training and passed a road test and regular maintenance was the default. That said, vehicle mileage and condition could be all over the map- I remember two F650 4x4 gasser dumps with plows on the lot at the same time, one had been assigned in the cities and had only about 60k miles and the other had been assigned to Sioux Falls and had over 300k! A few lemons sneak through too- After I retired I went with a friend to look at at an ex-Postal Service Mack tractor, I recognized the unit number, knew it's regular drivers, and had driven it myself for a while... But the tires were mismatched and barely legal, and the inside of the exhaust stack was suspiciously oily. Called a friend that was still working at the VMF and found that they'd swapped out the good turbos on some of the trucks being sold off and replaced them with bad ones as well as swapping out the better tires. 

Also, don't assume that government fleets will automatically be selling off replaced trucks through this crisis- Back after the hurricane hit New Orleans in 2005 a lot of federal fleets suspended vehicle dispositions for a while to ensure they had enough vehicles to replace those lost to the flooding. With new vehicle deliveries delayed due to the chip shortage, sales of the old vehicles being replaced will be slowed until the new vehicles are delivered. As for any BBQ'd Explorer police cars being available in Minneapolis, that was probably a handful of vehicles in a fleet of hundreds, was a year ago, and being a hybrid the electrical issues alone will total it. Minneapolis doesn't want totaled vehicles back on the street, and they tend to auction them off in large groups to licensed recyclers only.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2021 at 2:46 AM, ice-capades said:

He needs to stop talking to the sales representative for order status information and talk directly to the sales manager. Sales staff are often unfamiliar with the ordering and scheduling process or have incorrect information. 

If the order was submitted to the USOB (Unscheduled Order Bank) he should get written confirmation that it was indeed ordered... either a screen capture from the WBDO (Web Based Dealer Ordering) system showing it in the USOB and with the appropriate Priority Code or a copy of the Vehicle Visibility Report showing it as a Clean/Unscheduled order. There is no waiting for Ford to "accept" an order. It's either a "Clean/Unscheduled" order in the USOB and available for scheduling or not. Otherwise, it's a matter of available allocation for scheduling and commodity restraints.  

After multiple conversations with "salesman," in mid-April my son was emailed that copy with a VIN and anticipated build window of the first week in June.  That date came and went and now he's being told that the weekly printout now shows projected build the first week of July, but nothing to back up the claim.   Would it be a breach of protocol for someone to run the VIN and verify?  1FTFW1E84MFB71169

A few Ford models are on the list of vehicles with the most inventory (highest number days in dealer stock before vehicle is sold) according to Cars.com. Inventory Shortage: 25 Models That Are Still Out There | News | Cars.com

More Available Models Based on Average Days on Dealer Lots

• 2020 Ford EcoSport (158)
  • 2021 Jeep Compass (129)
  • 2021 Jeep Renegade (102)
  • 2021 Hyundai Sonata (95)*
  • 2021 Buick Encore (92)
  • 2021 Acura TLX (88)
  • 2021 Buick Encore GX (85)
  • 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport (81)
  • 2021 Ram 1500 Classic (79)
  • 2021 Infiniti QX50 (79)
  • 2021 Ford EcoSport (77)
  • 2021 Nissan Altima (71)
  • 2021 Nissan Titan (71)*
  • 2021 Cadillac XT5 (68)
  • 2021 Acura ILX (66)
  • 2021 Lincoln Corsair (62)
  • 2021 Jeep Gladiator (60)
  • 2021 Mazda6 (58)
  • 2021 Acura RDX (56)
  • 2021 Volvo XC60 (54)*
  • 2021 Honda Pilot (52)
  • 2021 Nissan Rogue (52)
  • 2021 Buick Enclave (51)
  • 2021 Nissan Sentra (51)*
  • 2021 Ford Expedition (50)*

*Cars.com recommended

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

At the the moment at dealerships nationwide, there’s ~5,300 Ecosport,  ~1,000 are 2020s

~1,200 Corsairs, ~3,100 Expeditions

Crest Ford in Flat Rock had 2 EcoSports, 1 Transit Connect, 1 Edge, 1 Ranger and 1 F-150 when I drove by on my way home yesterday. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Crest Ford in Flat Rock had 2 EcoSports, 1 Transit Connect, 1 Edge, 1 Ranger and 1 F-150 when I drove by on my way home yesterday. 

Not sure if this is an update, a correction, or both 

Drove by today and they had 4 EcoSports, 1 Transit Connect and 1 of something else I don't remember at the moment. 

Per Ford Authority

https://fordauthority.com/2021/06/ford-vehicle-production-will-take-huge-hit-in-july-thanks-to-chip-shortage/

Ford vehicle production will once again take a major hit in July as the automaker plans to idle a number of its plants over the next few weeks, according to Automotive News. That list starts with the Ford Chicago Assembly Plant, which will be down the weeks of July 5th, 12th, 19th, and 26th, with a two shift schedule planned for the week of August 2nd.

Next up is the Ford Dearborn Truck Plant, which will run a two shift schedule for the weeks of July 12th, 19th, and 26th. The Ford Kansas City Assembly Plant will be down the weeks of July 12th and 19th on the Ford F-150 side, and down the week of July 19th on the Ford Transit side. The Ford Flat Rock Assembly Plant will be also down the weeks of July 12th and 19th.

The Ford Hermosillo Assembly Plant will be running one of two shifts the weeks of July 12th and 19th, while the Ford Kentucky Truck Plant will be down the week of July 12th and on a two shift schedule the weeks of July 19th, 26th, and August 2nd. The Ford Louisville Assembly Plant will operate on a reduced schedule the week of July 19th.

The Ford Oakville Assembly Plant will only build the Lincoln Nautilus the weeks of July 19th, 26th, and August 2nd. Finally, the Ford Michigan Assembly Plant will be down weeks of July 5th and 26th, but that closure is due to an unrelated parts shortage that’s not chip-related.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I wonder if Ford is sweating the F-series losing its sales crown because of the chip shortage. 

I'd imagine it'd have to be a thought in the minds at least......and it wouldn't surprise me if they pushed chips toward F-series at the expense of other models to protect that crown if they saw an issue.

Looked up a few numbers, and only have Q1 as a reference against Silverado numbers until the Q2 report comes out next week.....so obviously it remains to be seen how numbers were truly affected.

That said, as of May, YTD sales of F-series are actually UP 14k units, though were down 20k in May alone vs May of '20 - point here is there's a slight, but thinning cushion to work with there.

Sales in Q1 for F-series are "only" about 13k below 2019 levels.

Comparing to Silverado (and Sierra) - as of Q1, here's what I found:

F-Series advantage/disadvantage over GM

'21 Q1: +16,176 over Silverado + Sierra combined

'21 Q1: +79,093 over Silverado alone

'20 Q1: -10,145 under Silverado + Sierra combined

'20 Q1: +42,804 over Silverado alone

So in Q1, Ford actually had a net GAIN over Silverado+Sierra of 26,321, and a GAIN over Silverado alone of 36,289.   Point being as of Q1, there was a cushion built up to offset production shortages affecting the crown, but obviously they don't want to lose it, and it remains to be seen how badly numbers were affected in June, and thus Q2 as a whole.

6 hours ago, rmc523 said:

So in Q1, Ford actually had a net GAIN over Silverado+Sierra of 26,321, and a GAIN over Silverado alone of 36,289.   Point being as of Q1, there was a cushion built up to offset production shortages affecting the crown, but obviously they don't want to lose it, and it remains to be seen how badly numbers were affected in June, and thus Q2 as a whole.

I did a quick search after my last post and the Ram pickup is actually the second best selling vehicle behind the F-series. The F-Series still has a decent lead over it though

20 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I did a quick search after my last post and the Ram pickup is actually the second best selling vehicle behind the F-series. The F-Series still has a decent lead over it though

You know what, I completely forgot about Ram overtaking Silverado, even though it was in front of me on my color charts...

Ford had a 54,961 unit lead over Ram in Q1.  Ram had a good Q2, and I have everyone's Q2 numbers, but am awaiting Ford's results......not sure if they come tomorrow or next week?

Edited by rmc523