Ford Inventory Discussion

6 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

As the weeks go by, one can certainly conclude that Ford was hurt far more by the chip shortage  than any other auto maker by a significant margin.

For example, LAP has been closed for about 6 weeks and will only be open at reduced capacity later this month. I know Mullinax has 0 Bronco Sports this month. These 2 are big volume sellers for Ford dealers. You would think Ford would at least be able to keep up with FSeries production, but even there it's down to drips.

I'm beginning to think Ford production is down more than 50% with GM down about 30% and looks like Stellantis is about same. 

It’s difficult to say because of that preferential treatment of highly profitable product over those of marginal support, we’re also looking at past production events as opposed to current supply of chips to enable F Series sales to rise, things will get a little better as we get to fall.

11 hours ago, akirby said:

That was obvious when Ford reduced the jag AJV8 stroke by 1mm which dropped the displacement from 4.0 to 3.9.  And no supercharged version.  That was a sweet engine but relatively underpowered by today’s standards.

I meant that the tell tale of it not being a joint development was that the Ford MOD V8 could not

be installed from underneath on the production line, DEW was clearly a premium JLR developed

platform funded by Ford who then wanted access to it for Lincoln and JLR opposed at every turn…

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

I meant that the tell tale of it not being a joint development was that the Ford MOD V8 could not

be installed from underneath on the production line, DEW was clearly a premium JLR developed

platform funded by Ford who then wanted access to it for Lincoln and JLR opposed at every turn…

Agreed

30 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Such a shame that Ford waited so long to develop CD6, ten years ago it  might have been

just the ticket for Lincoln and Ford to be more expansive…….. but I digress from the topic.

Problem is 10 years ago was 2011 and to be funding a new platform would have been a huge capital expenditure right after a total collapse of the economy, and if it was launching it would have been that the program started in 06-07 when the company was on the brink of bankruptcy and funded though the collapse. 

No one saw governments and forcing the market to electric as fast as they did. CD6 was good, just wrong in where the market went. 

48 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

Problem is 10 years ago was 2011 and to be funding a new platform would have been a huge capital expenditure right after a total collapse of the economy, and if it was launching it would have been that the program started in 06-07 when the company was on the brink of bankruptcy and funded though the collapse. 

No one saw governments and forcing the market to electric as fast as they did. CD6 was good, just wrong in where the market went. 

You’re forgetting that GRWD based on amalgamation of FoA’s then new RWD products, FG Falcon, Fairlane

and Territory, combined with Mustang would have achieved much at little price, Mulally nixed the whole thing.

While you’re thinking about that, remember that MKR concept’s length and wheelbase were eerily close to Falcon

even though the two weren’t related, much to the chagrin of the CEO……

By 2011, Ford was in recovery mode and could have easily supported a wider  US roll out of those

products  as well as the then brand new T6 Ranger, considering that over AU$600 million (Falcon)

and over AU$500 million (Territory) and ~$1 billion (Ranger) had already been spent on their development,

a point often completely missed in the discussion of North American Rationalisation plans.

All water under the bridge now…….sorry for hijacking thread.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 3

But at the same time without a completely new platform, I don’t think the Australian based RWD products would have been successful in NA going by their GM Equivalents. By 2011 the market was already leaning towards SUVs and not sedans. 

if Ford could have done it back in 2006 or so, it might have been more successful.  

28 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

But at the same time without a completely new platform, I don’t think the Australian based RWD products would have been successful in NA going by their GM Equivalents. By 2011 the market was already leaning towards SUVs and not sedans. 

if Ford could have done it back in 2006 or so, it might have been more successful.  

Of course and  the  Territory was a Utility, based on a variation of Falcon architecture,

it debuted in Australia in 2005 as replacement for Explorer……..

The Holden based zeta had much more capability baked in that was killed by GMNA,

a dedicated top hat planned to replace impala as early as 2008 never materialised,

there was also to be a 120” wheelbase utility to replace utilities like Traverse…….

Edited by jpd80

I went on a 1200 mile run thru the central midwest on a 'retrieval mission' of Ford parts and products, and was surprised that each Ford dealer in every little town between Canada and Lincoln had a half dozen or so new Pickups on their lots...... the further one got south, the more there were. One dealer north of Lincoln a ways had over 50. I didn't venture into the lot ( I was pulling an 18 foot trailer with my Super Duty ) but it was an oasis of new trucks, a few Broncos, and several Mustangs. Used inventory appeared strong.

Is there some rhyme or reason for this ? Are the smaller rural areas less affected than metro areas for new car delivery ?

Guys, something just occurred to me regarding chips to complete F Series,

there’s about 67k total inventory but only about 10k of that at dealerships.

Its a big jump but maybe there’s over 55k of trucks now being completed

and ready to ship……could this be the signal that things will get better soon?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Guys, something just occurred to me regarding chips to complete F Series,

there’s about 67k total inventory but only about 10k of that at dealerships.

Its a big jump but maybe there’s over 55k of trucks now being completed

and ready to ship……could this be the signal that things will get better soon?

I saw a fully loaded hauler full of F-150s heading south on I-75 coming from The Rouge yesterday 

• Like 1

Ford has approximately 45,000 F-Series built but awaiting chips / modules  (27,000 F-150 / 18,000 Super Duty).  Shipments expected through early October  (July 18,000 / August 15,000 / September 11,000 / October 1,000).   All of the F-150's were (partially) assembled at DTP.    Dealers reportedly are receiving units without chips / modules and are to install locally at a later date.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WillSD said:

Dealers reportedly are receiving units without chips / modules and are to install locally at a later date.

I haven't seen any communications from Ford about incomplete vehicles being shipped for microchip installations to be done at dealerships. Deanh may be able to confirm or provide information on this quicker than I can. 

21 hours ago, ice-capades said:

I haven't seen any communications from Ford about incomplete vehicles being shipped for microchip installations to be done at dealerships. Deanh may be able to confirm or provide information on this quicker than I can. 

I haven't seen any come sans chips...however there were a couple of F-150s come through which would NOT link up to FORDPASS and had to be serviced at the Dealership level...I don't  think thatwas chip related...but the fix was needed as the units modem could not be accessed...

• Like 1

Autonews is saying that Ford is dropping diesel in F150 due to poor sales,

dealers will stop taking orders after July 16, deliveries may take to ens of year.

Good thing that Global Ranger will use the V6 diesel otherwise it would be toast.

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Autonews is saying that Ford is dropping diesel in F150 due to poor sales,

dealers will stop taking orders after July 16, deliveries may take to ens of year.

Good thing that Global Ranger will use the V6 diesel otherwise it would be toast.

Im honestly surprised they bothered to roll it into the new truck TBH. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Im honestly surprised they bothered to roll it into the new truck TBH. 

The people who wanted a diesel in F150 got their wish but unfortunately,

very few buyers chose one over an Ecoboost.

IMO, the 2.7 EB did a good enough job as an efficient cruiser with plenty

of power in reserve, Americans love horsepower.

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I'm honestly surprised they bothered to roll it into the new truck TBH. 

Agreed. I think the F-150 Diesel was added just to have a diesel and be competitive. There was price resistance which I though was overblown and availability was limited to the higher trim models. Then factor in the low sales for the diesel and the introduction of the new F-150 PowerBoost Hybrid with its performance and there was just little reason to continue offering the diesel option. 

• Like 2

On 7/10/2021 at 12:54 PM, mrgreenjeans said:

I went on a 1200 mile run thru the central midwest on a 'retrieval mission' of Ford parts and products, and was surprised that each Ford dealer in every little town between Canada and Lincoln had a half dozen or so new Pickups on their lots...... the further one got south, the more there were. One dealer north of Lincoln a ways had over 50. I didn't venture into the lot ( I was pulling an 18 foot trailer with my Super Duty ) but it was an oasis of new trucks, a few Broncos, and several Mustangs. Used inventory appeared strong.

Is there some rhyme or reason for this ? Are the smaller rural areas less affected than metro areas for new car delivery ?

Interesting.  There is still virtually no inventory at dealers in Eastern Iowa.  

1 hour ago, tbone said:

Interesting.  There is still virtually no inventory at dealers in Eastern Iowa.  

Looks to me like a dribble of new trucks shipping to dealers, not a gusher. Mullinax for example gets in maybe 20 trucks a week, and Mullinax is one of the biggest selling thousands of trucks/year. Last year Mullinax had hundreds of trucks lined up ready to go to commercial users like Duke Energy. 

I live in Minneapolis,MN and when I went to order a truck at one of my local dealership there was on only one 2021 F-150 Lariat and this was in March. To this day the same dealership only has one Lariat and maybe 4 to five XLT's. If Ford is pumping out new trucks with the new chip supply that they got since the beginning of July how is that this dealership lot is empty. Of this includes my truck that still has an ETA of 10/31. I would think with all the trucks and other vehicles already partially built that Ford would just complete those and not worry about build new ones.   

14 minutes ago, frenchs_33 said:

If Ford is pumping out new trucks with the new chip supply that they got since the beginning of July how is that this dealership lot is empty?

Because they’ve been selling every one they get in?  You can’t go by just what is on the lot at any given time.  They may only have 5 but may have sold 25 that you never saw.

• Haha 1