SYNC 4/4A NAVIGATION - Vehicle Line Offering

5 hours ago, ScottK1 said:

Where does 2022 Super Duty fit on this chart?  I assume its Sync 4A.

SYNC 4 per the 2022 Super Duty Pick-Up Order Guide.

SYNC® 4 with 12” LCD Capacitive Touchscreen – standard on Lariat, King Ranch®, Platinum and Limited

For some reason the 2022MY Super Duty wasn't included in the chart that was just released.

15 hours ago, ice-capades said:

SYNC 4 per the 2022 Super Duty Pick-Up Order Guide.

SYNC® 4 with 12” LCD Capacitive Touchscreen – standard on Lariat, King Ranch®, Platinum and Limited

For some reason the 2022MY Super Duty wasn't included in the chart that was just released.

On page 2 of the order guide I see that it does say Sync 4 with enhanced voice recognition (under Lariat / Functional).   A bit of inconsistency in the materials...

So if you pay for the connected navigation and then your 3 years is up, what happens? It says “reverts to embedded navigation with no connected navigation services.” What does that mean? What does the connected navigation give you that embedded navigation doesn’t? $80/yr seems a bit ridiculous for something that is free on every cell phone out there.

5 hours ago, T-dubz said:

So if you pay for the connected navigation and then your 3 years is up, what happens? It says “reverts to embedded navigation with no connected navigation services.” What does that mean? What does the connected navigation give you that embedded navigation doesn’t? $80/yr seems a bit ridiculous for something that is free on every cell phone out there.

Just what it says. 

4 minutes ago, pictor said:

No more ridiculous then the map update Ford keeps trying to sell me for the Escape. I just use google maps. Makes we wonder how many people actually buy the map update for the 250 bucks.

Understood. First you pay for the factory navigation system and then you're told that after the initial period you have to pay for a subscription to maintain the service. It's not like the navigation option is cheap in the first place and now Ford wants you to pay for a subscription so you can provide them with a new revenue/profit stream. I'd have to think that it would be a matter of need for the latest updates and/or additional services for those that use the navigation services extensively to justify the expense.  

Sounds like there is no up front cost for the connected navigation - only the $80/yr subscription which gets you the additional features and frequent map updates.  But it only works with cell service.  

Built in navigation is the current system where you do pay up front but with the option of the extra services.  It will work without cell service.  

With the current navigation system you have to subscribe to SiriusXM travel link for the extra features.  I think it’s at least $60/yr.  so $80/yr which also includes map updates sounds like a good deal.

2 hours ago, pictor said:

No more ridiculous then the map update Ford keeps trying to sell me for the Escape. I just use google maps. Makes we wonder how many people actually buy the map update for the 250 bucks.

We sell one or two every year to our older clients who don't want to bother with a smart phone.   The "updated" maps are also woefully outdated when you receive them.  

11 hours ago, T-dubz said:

Basically sounds like you'll get map updates and real time traffic info for "connected", whereas built in is just your "regular" nav system without that, and with whatever maps it has stored (no updates).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Basically sounds like you'll get map updates and real time traffic info for "connected", whereas built in is just your "regular" nav system without that, and with whatever maps it has stored (no updates).

I don't understand why automakers even bother with nav systems anymore.  I have them in some cars and never use it.  It's so much better to just use Google Maps.  If I could have ordered without the nav on the 2022 Super Duty, I would have.  I also would ditch the SiriusXM, but that wasn't an option any longer for 2022.  Again, cell phone, when you want it.  I hate those antennas on top of the car.

51 minutes ago, ScottK1 said:

I don't understand why automakers even bother with nav systems anymore.  I have them in some cars and never use it.  It's so much better to just use Google Maps.  If I could have ordered without the nav on the 2022 Super Duty, I would have.  I also would ditch the SiriusXM, but that wasn't an option any longer for 2022.  Again, cell phone, when you want it.  I hate those antennas on top of the car.

I think the additional antenna pods have more to do with the coming self driving stuff than nav.

9 hours ago, ScottK1 said:

1. Convenience.  Many people like it built in, and not having to connect their phone.

2. Cell coverage.  When traveling in some remote areas or rural interstates, cell coverage (with data) can be spotty or non-existent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flying68 said:

1. Convenience.  Many people like it built in, and not having to connect their phone.

2. Cell coverage.  When traveling in some remote areas or rural interstates, cell coverage (with data) can be spotty or non-existent.

This.

Also some people don't like using Carplay or AA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flying68 said:

Convenience? Absolutely! I've always used the factory navigation system and like it much better than using a cell phone and/or 3rd party application. I no longer use the navigation system as often and don't want to pay extra for data usage on my cell phone plan. 

• Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 4:21 AM, pictor said:

Check what version your SD card is for you navigation (Ex: A7). You can find the new year cards on amazon for about $60-70.  

2 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

The Ford navigation systems haven't used SD cards for years. 

There are still tons of vehicles with them though. If you have a slightly older vehicle you can get updated maps for cheap. Notice he has a 2015 Escape per his signature. The A11 card from Ford has 2020 road updates...

https://www.amazon.com/Navigation-Card-Ford-Sync2-GM5T-19H449-AE/dp/B08KVZP9N4/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3BYC04KZ92RS3&dchild=1&keywords=ford+navigation+sd+card&qid=1617984835&sprefix=ford+navigation+sd%2Caps%2C239&sr=8-3

1 hour ago, akirby said:

This.

Also some people don't like using Carplay or AA.

I find carplay overrated.  Sure it's nice, I guess especially if you don't have the built-in features, but otherwise overrated.

I like the integrated systems, but also use carplay sometimes.

I would like to see Ford jump on the map in the gauge cluster bandwagon.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I find carplay overrated.  Sure it's nice, I guess especially if you don't have the built-in features, but otherwise overrated.

I like the integrated systems, but also use carplay sometimes.

I would like to see Ford jump on the map in the gauge cluster bandwagon.

Agreed on all points.   I prefer using Sync 3 for my music and I also prefer the built in nav.   But I could easily switch to Carplay and google maps or waze if needed.

• 8 months later...