Is Lincoln Navigator effected by plant shutdowns?

I ordered a 2021 Lincoln Navigator L back in January and the promise date was March.  Then I get a call from the dealership stating that the production of the vehicle was pushed up into April.  I obtained the vin number for the vehicle which is 5LMJJ3LT8MEL07944 and checked on ETIS to find a build date of 30.11.0002.  My understanding thats just a place holder which means the vehicle hasnt been built.

After googleing I found articles on semi shortages and plant shutdowns.  One shutdown in particular is the Kentucky Truck plant where I understand the Navigator is built.  I also understand after the current shutdown Ford may elect to extend the shutdown.  In fact, I saw an article stating they will be shuttering the plant again in May.  Ford may keep the plant shutdown for months.  

So when will I ever receive my 2021 Lincoln Navigator?  Will I be getting my 2021 in 2022?

Edited by JustMeInUSA

2 minutes ago, Black Label said:

Why are they shutting down? There is a sub forum on here where a poster will track your VIN within his rules. 

I am at the start of a reacquisition on my 2020 Nav. Was hoping to hoo out for a 2022 with Sync 4 etc. This is not good news if true. 

Because there's a major shortage of automotive microchips which is interrupting production at all the major manufacturers. 

6 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Because there's a major shortage of automotive microchips which is interrupting production at all the major manufacturers. 

Gotcha, thanks. That stinks. It is software glitches causing my reacquire, so I hope they get some more soon. 

There are several news articles on the issue.  From reading the various articles plant shutdowns will be two weeks in April and the plant Im concerned with is the Kentucky truck plant.  Im assuming my Navigator will be affected by that.  I also read there might be two more weeks of shutdown in May and management has started putting out there they will be working a lot over the summer.  However, I dont want my 2021 Navigator during the summer or fall.  Whats the sense in getting a 2021 that close to 2022?

3 hours ago, JustMeInUSA said:

There are several news articles on the issue.  From reading the various articles plant shutdowns will be two weeks in April and the plant Im concerned with is the Kentucky truck plant.  Im assuming my Navigator will be affected by that.  I also read there might be two more weeks of shutdown in May and management has started putting out there they will be working a lot over the summer.  However, I dont want my 2021 Navigator during the summer or fall.  Whats the sense in getting a 2021 that close to 2022?

FWIW,  the sales manager at a dealer near me said KY plant has not shut down. He did say they are adding shifts, etc., to make up for these issues.

Well, it will have low miles when it comes time to trade/sell if that is a concern. 

Edited by Black Label

3 hours ago, Black Label said:

FWIW,  the sales manager at a dealer near me said KY plant has not shut down. He did say they are adding shifts, etc., to make up for these issues.

Well, it will have low miles when it comes time to trade/sell if that is a concern. 

Many years ago I looked at book value on consecutive model year vehicles with the same mileage (e.g, a 2015 and 2016 Edge both with 60k miles) and the net difference was only $300 or so.  Miles seem to be more important than model year.  Haven’t looked lately but I assume that’s still the case.

• Like 1

Many components on cars are wear away items.  The more miles the more which has to be replaced.  I once bought a 10 year old Toyota for $3000.  Then had to sink another $3000 on things like catalytic converter...tires...etc and such to get it to pass inspection and ride safely.  

So yeah lower miles are better...but I would enjoy more the refreshed 2022 in 2022.  Right now not enjoying the 2021 because its not here.

The dealer told me the Navigator hasnt been effected but the news articles make it seem as if.entire.Kentucky truck plant has closed.

I have never worked at Ford but in general lets just say I have a good idea what happens at these places...

#1.  Before the shutdown everyone is demoralized and does little work.  The little work that they do is flawed and shoddy.

#2.  After the shutdown there is a period of time where things are getting back to full speed.  Since workers have been off it takes time to get back into the swing.

#3.  Ford is only guessing when the issues will be resolved.  When the plant reopens the issues might still exist.  If their analysts couldnt plan for the current issues how could they predict when it will end?  In 2 weeks will semi conductors or chips suddenly be abundant?

I was thinking of a situation where I got the vehicle in 4th quarter and at that point I would not accept delivery...

2 hours ago, JustMeInUSA said:

I have never worked at Ford but in general lets just say I have a good idea what happens at these places...

#1.  Before the shutdown everyone is demoralized and does little work.  The little work that they do is flawed and shoddy.

#2.  After the shutdown there is a period of time where things are getting back to full speed.  Since workers have been off it takes time to get back into the swing.

#3.  Ford is only guessing when the issues will be resolved.  When the plant reopens the issues might still exist.  If their analysts couldnt plan for the current issues how could they predict when it will end?  In 2 weeks will semi conductors or chips suddenly be abundant?

I was thinking of a situation where I got the vehicle in 4th quarter and at that point I would not accept delivery...

I'm in the early stages of a lemon law buyback on my 2020 Nav. Will hold out for a 2022. 

7 hours ago, JustMeInUSA said:

Whats the issue exactly?  Camphasers?  Is there a cold start noise where the engine rocks violently?  Does the engine sound like a diesel?   It might be the turbos where the wastegate failed.

I am a defacto expert on all the problems with this vehicle.

None of those. Software issues that are unresolved but had my vehicle out of service well past 30 days cumulatively. 

Mine were major engine and major transmission.  Engine opened multiple times.  At one point the dealership considered replacing the engine.  10R80 trans disintegrated while on the road.  Both turbos replaced for wastegate failure.  Fuel injector and cat converter failure.  Engine light blinking indicating major trouble.  

There were a LOT of issues in 2018 Navigator.  

I called Lincoln Concierge.  They have a lookup tool similiar to the one the Ford employee looks up the vehicle in another section of the website.  Seems like there is a record of it at the Kentucky Truck plant and the ship date is to be determined or TBD.  

Im guessing its in production but probably stuck at a point where it needs a semiconductor chip.

Based on all that Ive heard Im guessing Ford is manufacturing these vehicles to a certain point and parking them outside.  Then they will idle the plant for 2 weeks waiting for chips.

Not comforting knowing my vehicle is sitting somewhere possibly out in the open partially manufactured.

• Like 1