Is Lincoln Navigator effected by plant shutdowns?

My Navigator still has NOT been delivered.  Been told it was released by the plant.  

Am I being unreasonable by getting angry over a 6 month wait from order to delivery???  Whats the point of options and upgrade features if it takes this long to get a vehicle?

I cant imagine a prosperous future for Ford if this is going to be the way its going to be.  Their system seems broken.  Folks back in the 50s and 60s could get a car faster than this.

50 minutes ago, JustMeInUSA said:

My Navigator still has NOT been delivered.  Been told it was released by the plant.  

Am I being unreasonable by getting angry over a 6 month wait from order to delivery???  Whats the point of options and upgrade features if it takes this long to get a vehicle?

I cant imagine a prosperous future for Ford if this is going to be the way its going to be.  Their system seems broken.  Folks back in the 50s and 60s could get a car faster than this.

These are not normal times thanks to COVID-19 and the microchip shortage which is causing plant shutdowns throughout the industry and interrupting the normal inventory flow. Add to it the pent up demand and low inventory. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustMeInUSA said:

Try ordering furniture or appliances.  You’ll wait AT LEAST 6 months, sometimes longer.  Blame Covid not Ford.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, akirby said:

Try ordering furniture or appliances.  You’ll wait AT LEAST 6 months, sometimes longer.  Blame Covid not Ford.

I tried doing business with a longstanding local business to replace all the kitchen appliances and the experience was horrible. There was no customer service, insisted that they got no status updates from the manufacturer, couldn't track orders and wouldn't know anything until the appliances showed up. Four months later I cancelled the entire order, placed my order with Home Depot and had everything delivered and installed 2.5 weeks later! 

Well...at no point in my life has it ever been "normal times".  Ive seen and been through a lot of crisis to include economic crashes and hurricanes.  My expectation for Ford is to have people in place who can manage through hard times.  Im sure the people who work at Ford are not young kids.  Seeing how they mismanaged through crisis tells me they need to find a new line of work and a search should be started for people who can do the job.

As a business owner who has seen a lot of crisis I dont buy the "This is not normal times" excuse.  You telling me you cant manage through crisis when crisis have become a norm rather than an exception.  I got a laugh at factories shuttering because of wind...come on now...

Edited by JustMeInUSA

2 hours ago, JustMeInUSA said:

Well...at no point in my life has it ever been "normal times".  Ive seen and been through a lot of crisis to include economic crashes and hurricanes.  My expectation for Ford is to have people in place who can manage through hard times.  Im sure the people who work at Ford are not young kids.  Seeing how they mismanaged through crisis tells me they need to find a new line of work and a search should be started for people who can do the job.

As a business owner who has seen a lot of crisis I dont buy the "This is not normal times" excuse.  You telling me you cant manage through crisis when crisis have become a norm rather than an exception.  I got a laugh at factories shuttering because of wind...come on now...

Well I guess you’re just smarter than every other business out there.  

• Like 2

I am certainly not a billion dollar company with Ivy League grads at my disposal nor has my company been in business for over 100 years like Ford.  I expect a lot more out of these guys and what Im getting is excuses.

I know this is a challenging situation but they are supposed to have the experience, money and manpower to solve the issues.  Isnt there any planning or risk management? 

3 hours ago, JustMeInUSA said:

I am certainly not a billion dollar company with Ivy League grads at my disposal nor has my company been in business for over 100 years like Ford.  I expect a lot more out of these guys and what Im getting is excuses.

I know this is a challenging situation but they are supposed to have the experience, money and manpower to solve the issues.  Isnt there any planning or risk management? 

Nobody plans for a year plus pandemic leading to microchip, worker and supplier shortages (which Ford was managing fairly well) followed by a microchip supplier fire.  Some businesses are more complicated than others.

• Like 4

Yeah, enough with the BS Covid excuses. Nothing normal about it. Total BS. 

The whole response to this virus has been BS, and now we are all suffering, even those of us with no underlying conditions. Ridiculous. 

Edited by Black Label

I dont think you are seeing what Im talking about.  

As an individual situations like COVID come as a surprise and shock...just like a tornado or a fire.  A company such as Ford should be actively planning for every disaster scenario.  Its called "risk management".  In this case the semi conductor shortage did not just come about like a tornado but it was months in the making.  Back in 2020 this outcome should have been predicted and projected.  All these analysts and executives sitting at their "home office" had lots of time on their hands to see this coming.

So it cant be expected for you as an individual to manage and predict but a company like Ford should have projected this semi shortage.  This is management failure.  If they cant predict these outcomes months out whats the sense in them being employed by Ford.

Edited by JustMeInUSA
  • Like 1

A friend of mine works at a grocery store doing customer service. An irate customer came up to her recently upset that a particular product was out of stock. That product has had very restrictive supply for some time thanks to the impact government covid policies have had on supply chains. My friend said, "we have 100 on order but last week we only received 20, which is about the most we've been able to get for some time. Most weeks we don't get any." With arms waving, the customer replied, "you should have ordered more!"

Edited by Gurgeh

Well, I am having my Lincoln re-acquired by Lincoln because of the crap software they built into it. Now, because off the crap handling of the virus, we are now all waiting excess time for new vehicles while we wait on the very crap chips needed to build them. 

So, forgive me while I don't sit here and shed a tear for Ford, the other car manufacturers, and the semiconductor chip ,manufacturers. 

As stated, perhaps they could have been forward thinking and figured out how to avoid this. They figured out how to go along with all the virus nonsense and retool factories to make ventilators, not out of the goodness of their hearts, mind you. So, it seems they could have figured out how to get back to making cars and trucks. 

Of course, I am open to reasonable discussion here, and having said that, I realize my comment last night was a bit harsh. My apologies for that, and, as usual, I will be happy to acknowledge that Forde et al could not have foreseen this and avoided it if anyone has really good information and documentation to that effect. 

Still makes it hard to sit and wait for a new vehicle. 

?

Edit: Phenomenal vehicle, my Navigator. Just the software issues have been a head scratcher. 

Edited by Black Label

38 minutes ago, Black Label said:

the crap software they built into it. Now, because off the crap handling of the virus, we are now all waiting excess time for new vehicles while we wait on the very crap chips needed to build them. 

software is not the same as hardware. Please don't confuse the two. The hardware is not your problem. 

Second, the chip shortage, once again, is not Ford (or any auto company's fault). When things shut down last year they cancelled orders from suppliers across the board anticipating demand being lower than before the shutdown. Those suppliers then sold their new-found unsold inventory to other industries that were still operational. Absolutely nobody saw auto sales being stronger than before March 2020. We're seeing near record sales numbers and it would be even better than what it is if they were able to get units out to dealers like normal. Chip suppliers are now at maximum production capacity and it will take a very long time for them to catch up. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JustMeInUSA said:

I dont think you are seeing what Im talking about.  

As an individual situations like COVID come as a surprise and shock...just like a tornado or a fire.  A company such as Ford should be actively planning for every disaster scenario.  Its called "risk management".  In this case the semi conductor shortage did not just come about like a tornado but it was months in the making.  Back in 2020 this outcome should have been predicted and projected.  All these analysts and executives sitting at their "home office" had lots of time on their hands to see this coming.

So it cant be expected for you as an individual to manage and predict but a company like Ford should have projected this semi shortage.  This is management failure.  If they cant predict these outcomes months out whats the sense in them being employed by Ford.

Poor planning or not they’re doing everything possible now.  It is what it is so deal with it.

16 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

software is not the same as hardware. Please don't confuse the two. The hardware is not your problem. 

Second, the chip shortage, once again, is not Ford (or any auto company's fault). When things shut down last year they cancelled orders from suppliers across the board anticipating demand being lower than before the shutdown. Those suppliers then sold their new-found unsold inventory to other industries that were still operational. Absolutely nobody saw auto sales being stronger than before March 2020. We're seeing near record sales numbers and it would be even better than what it is if they were able to get units out to dealers like normal. Chip suppliers are now at maximum production capacity and it will take a very long time for them to catch up. 

Makes sense. Thank you. 

Did I mention just a little frustrated?  ?

• Like 1

The dealer just received my Navigator and Im happy.  You have to understand my frustration when a billion dollar company which has been in the business a long time has these supply issues.  5 months from order time to delivery is too long.  Imagine the people ordering one now.

In order to get the better options you have to order one otherwise you stuck with the in stock base models.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustMeInUSA said:

The dealer just received my Navigator and Im happy.  You have to understand my frustration when a billion dollar company which has been in the business a long time has these supply issues.  5 months from order time to delivery is too long.  Imagine the people ordering one now.

In order to get the better options you have to order one otherwise you stuck with the in stock base models.  

Congratulations!!!, you probably now have the most recently built Navigator!

• 1 month later...

I wanted to add when I got the vehicle there was a loose plastic access panel behind the navigation lcd.  I clicked it back into place.

I dont know but Im assuming it was waiting for chips and those chips probably went where that access panel opened to.