Review: Motorcraft Super Duty BRSD brake pads

JustMeInUSA

I own a 2019 Lincoln MKT "Town Car" which is basically a heavy duty made for livery use of the original MKT.  It uses many of the same parts as the Ford Police Utility to include the same 3.7 liter engine, brakes and heavy duty transmission.  The semi-metallic brake pads which come stock with the vehicle are the same as on the Police Utility.

Ive gone through quite a few brake pads in my time.  Driven with some of the more aggressive ones like Wagner OEX, Raysbestos, etc.  I must say these Motorcraft Super Duty brake pads are the absolute best I have ever tried hands down.  While I can offer up no instrumented testing I can say the pedal feel was very firm and didnt feel like the usual spongey Akebono ceramics put stock on most cars.  The pads were silent and I recently even had to panic stop on the highway as a vehicle had hit its brakes suddenly in front of me.  In fact, the performance of these pads were so good it felt like the braking system had been upgraded. 

Right out of the box the pads looked very professionally made.  I had zero problems with the fit to rotor/caliper.  The blue paint was a nice touch to the pads..  

If your vehicle comes with the usual Akebono ceramic setup and you desire more performance these pads are the way to go.  One warning...I have not tested the durability of the setup.  Sometimes more aggressive pads will warp the rotors eventually or they simply will not last as long as ceramics.  Akebono standard ceramic pads do last a long time with no drama but they do feel like braking with a sponge.  These Motorcraft Super Duty will increase the performance of your braking system in a way that you can tell when you first hit the brakes...

Attached is a zip file which has photos of the pads, box, pamphlet and how they look on the rotors.

attachments (6).zip

I have included a picture so those that are loath to click on a zip file attachment (like me) from an unverified source (no offense) can see them without having to do a google search. However, with that said, your description and "seat of the pants" review of these pads has me including them for consideration on my next brake job.

image.png.222024a82bc499a24263d6e072bae0ef.png

Edited by twintornados

One thing I wanted to add to the review is these pads dust heavily.  I would guess you will need to keep wheel cleaner or degreaser on hand and wipe the wheels every few days.

There is no free lunch when it comes to pads.  The no drama Akebono standard and sport ceramics are simply not the best at braking IMHO.  However the Akebonos excel at being drama free meaning no noise...no dust...and last long without warping the rotors.  On the other hand semi-metallics like the Super Duty pads do the best job at stopping the car...

• Thanks 1