Potential Longer Term Battery Pack Source for OAC?

This could be good news for Canada, and Ford if it comes to pass. We need to have much more battery capacity being built in North America, using North America materials:

UK-based battery startup Britishvolt could build a second factory in Canada.

Company adviser and former Ford Motor executive Joe Bakaj said Canada is attractive "in terms of availability of renewable energy and potentially raw materials." 

A Britishvolt spokesman said the Canada plant would be similar in size to a planned 30 gigawatt-hour plant in Blyth, England, which is scheduled to start production in 2023 and reach its capacity of 30 GWh of batteries by 2027. Construction is due to start later this year.

A 30 GWh plant would be able to supply 300,000 100 kilowatt-hour battery packs a year.

The company would target automakers building vehicles in the U.S. and Canada, the spokesman said. It would still be known in Canada as Britishvolt.

If Ford can't, or won't, pull the trigger on its own joint venture, this could also be a viable option.

Full article here: https://europe.autonews.com/suppliers/britishvolt-plans-battery-factory-canada?utm_source=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20210409&utm_content=article6-headline

On 4/10/2021 at 7:10 AM, Harley Lover said:

This could be good news for Canada, and Ford if it comes to pass. We need to have much more battery capacity being built in North America, using North America materials:

If Ford can't, or won't, pull the trigger on its own joint venture, this could also be a viable option.

Full article here: https://europe.autonews.com/suppliers/britishvolt-plans-battery-factory-canada?utm_source=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20210409&utm_content=article6-headline

They’re gonna have to build some batteries up here so we will see how it all plays out. It just may be good news for Canada.

This all plays well for OAC and Canada keeping its auto manufacturing. Had Mark Fields persisted with building that new plant

at San Louis Potosi, well that was four or five plans ago but I could easily imagine all of that production going to Mexico. 

On 4/16/2021 at 6:42 PM, jpd80 said:

This all plays well for OAC and Canada keeping its auto manufacturing. Had Mark Fields persisted with building that new plant

at San Louis Potosi, well that was four or five plans ago but I could easily imagine all of that production going to Mexico. 

I always said had that 3rd Mexican plant been built OAC would’ve probably been dead in the water. This plan is all still new, I’m pretty sure things will change as they always do with Ford. I’m what way I don’t know but one day at a time with ford and their planning that’s how I’m taking it.