External Radio Antenna

ScottK1

1 hour ago, ScottK1 said:

Why is Ford still using external radio antennas?  I can barely remember the last time I had a vehicle that didn't have the antenna integrated into the windows.

It helps with reception in remote areas where more folks drive pickups.  

• Like 5

On 4/10/2021 at 11:09 AM, ScottK1 said:

Why is Ford still using external radio antennas?  I can barely remember the last time I had a vehicle that didn't have the antenna integrated into the windows.

Cost. An external, fender/mast mounted whip antenna is much cheaper for Ford than more modern designs such as sharkfin on the top of the cab, or window integrated.

Among full size HD pickup trucks, only the latest generation Ram Heavy Duty has done away with the fender mounted whip antenna. Ram uses a sharkfin design that combines the antennas for AM/FM radio, satellite radio, and telematics.

2020_RamHD_antenna.jpg

Edited by rperez817

31 minutes ago, road turtle said:

is there a replacement stubby antenna that could be put on the truck?  There has a couple of reports of people having the antenna ripped right off the fender in car washes.  I can't remember the last time I listened to either AM or FM.

I don't think you can blame the manufacturer because people have had antennas ripped off in the car wash. Most car washes remove those antennas before the vehicle goes through. 

45 minutes ago, road turtle said:

is there a replacement stubby antenna that could be put on the truck?  There has a couple of reports of people having the antenna ripped right off the fender in car washes.  I can't remember the last time I listened to either AM or FM.

Cravenspeed seems to have a good reputation for its stubby antenna replacement. Bullet Style Stubby Antenna for 2009-2021 Ford F-150 (cravenspeed.com)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Cost. An external, fender/mast mounted whip antenna is much cheaper for Ford than more modern designs such as sharkfin on the top of the cab, or window integrated.

So you think Ford went with the cheapest option on the vehicles with the highest MSRP and highest profit while opting for the most expensive option on their least expensive and lowest profit margin vehicles.

Your logic makes no sense.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

So you think Ford went with the cheapest option on the vehicles with the highest MSRP and highest profit while opting for the most expensive option on their least expensive and lowest profit margin vehicles.

Your logic makes no sense.

Why is F-Series SD "highest profit"? Because Ford aggressively keeps product development and manufacturing costs low and selling prices high on that product.

The only reason Ford still uses an old fashioned whip antenna for F-Series is that it's cheap compared to alternative designs. That's all there is to it.

Also - the 2021 F150 has 2 sharkfin antennas (one for SiriusXM and one for the embedded modem) AND the am/fm mast.  So how can that possibly be cheaper than just putting it in one of the sharkfins?

The answer is reception in remote areas and/or a roof height warning system.

21 minutes ago, akirby said:

Also - the 2021 F150 has 2 sharkfin antennas (one for SiriusXM and one for the embedded modem) AND the am/fm mast.  So how can that possibly be cheaper than just putting it in one of the sharkfins?

A properly designed amplified AM/FM radio antenna that integrates into a sharkfin setup will provide better S/N compared to a whip antenna, but the components are much more expensive.

38 minutes ago, akirby said:

So explain why they don’t use it on Ecosport or the old Fiesta where margins were razor thin?

Ford couldn't cut costs as aggressively on those two vehicles, which are global products in very competitive segments, compared to what they could do with F-Series SD.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Guys the easiest solution is a shorter aftermarket antenna. I replaced them on my last 2 F-series. I have a ‘21 F-350 and have had really good reception with the Spartan FFD2-15 ($22 on Amazon). You should remove it for an automatic car wash but it’s an easy twist. 

Just my opinion. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gadget said:

I don't even know why this is issue.  Does no one go to autoparts stores anymore.  They sell shorty rubber whip antennas and have for the last 30 years. 

Some people aren’t happy unless they have something to bitch about.

• Like 9

On 6/9/2021 at 11:16 PM, pig9r said:

Came across this article the other day. Seems fitting:

https://jalopnik.com/why-does-a-modern-truck-like-the-2022-ford-f-150-lightn-1846955635

The author of the article is correct. I used to work in a factory that made transmitters for broadcast radio stations. Our smaller 5KW and down units sold very well. I found out that 2/3 of all radio stations in the US are mom and pop owned low wattage "sundowner" stations that have local news and county/western music.

You'll need a whip antenna beyond the city limits to hear them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2021 at 1:13 PM, cmk1981 said:

Have used a stubby on my F150 for years and have not had any reception issues.  The range may be limited, but most of the time I'm listening to bluetooth, so not much of an issue for me.

Same here!  I've had a Cravenspeed "stubby" on my last two trucks, and it's going on my 22 when I eventually get it.   It's range is limited, but, I rarely listen to the radio just Bluetooth Pandora. 

• Like 2