How about a larger fuel tank?

TrentM

I am surprised that a big perfect road trip cruiser Navigator has such a small fuel tank.  23 gallons does not make sense to me. Out west  there are a lotta back road areas with many miles in between gas stations.  Most of my last Ford trucks had 36 gallon tanks. Except my Excursion which had a 42 gallon diesel tank. Used to cost me $200 to fill it up!  I have been searching without results to find out if a larger after market fuel tank is available for our Navigators. Service manager is no help. Anyone have any ideas about this subject? Or is everyone happy with 23 gallons.?  Thoughts and suggestions please!   

Well it would be if this machine got 20 miles to the gallon. Mine does not.  When I fill up it usually says 320 miles to empty.  Out here the speed limit is 80 on the freeway.  Which means we are all doing 90 to 95. Back country dirt roads that go on for miles also make me nervous about no gas available. I do not check my mileage  because I don't care what it gets,,, just so it runs like I want it to.  Headed to the Tetons and Yellowstone again next week. I will be in areas where 4 x 4 will be needed.  Even worse mileage then.  I think a 28 to 30 gallon  tank would be nice.  I am glad to hear from a Ford moderator on this!  Do you know if a larger tank will fit under there.?  I cannot tell by climbing under it.   One thing my wife pointed out that as we get older, we have to make more frequent bathroom stops anyway.  Maybe just need to get used to filling the Navigator tank when I stop to empty my own tank!  lol

• Like 1

My L came with a 28 gallon tank, we never have an issue with it.  I believe a 23 gallon tank is pretty standard in a short wheelbase truck and in line with GM trucks.  At normal speeds there is quite a bit of range.  You can't blame them for you driving exceptionally fast...

Not blaming anyone for anything. And this is not a gm truck thankfully as I would never own a gm product. And out here we do not drive at normal speeds. I am only musing about such a small fuel tank on a flagship road trip cruiser. Different people have different needs. I don't just crawl around town or drive on congested 55 mph freeways.    My Gator will be driven on a lot of remote dirt roads and be in 4WD in a lot of areas.  Ya ever been out west? Across the back roads of Nevada,  Wyoming, the Dakotas, Idaho, or Montana, ?  The Navigator is only 1 foot shorter than an F-150. which has a 36 gallon tank.  They could have easily fit a 28 or 30 gallon tank under there. It would just be helpful in some remote areas. Might be able to correct it,  might not.  If not, I will happily live with what I got. We love our new Gator.!

• Like 1

You can't compare a Nav to an F150 because you are forgetting about the 3rd row.  A pickup is dead flat out back whereas that depression where your feet and folding seats go sits right over the tank necessitating it shrinking.  Just think about this logically - where would you put 13 one gallon milk jugs under the truck and keep them safe?  There is only so much room under there between the frame rails, in front of the axle, away from the driveshaft, exhaust and structure.  I mention GM trucks because they are the main competition and are right in line.  The last Escalade/Tahoe had a 26 gallon tank but when they resigned it with an independent rear like the Nav they shrunk it to 24 gallons because of the space.  This isn't something you can fix, it's just not possible.  I do prefer a larger tank because frankly I hate getting gas.  The extra space, better ride quality and larger gas tank has had me buy ESV's and my Nav L.  If it really means that much to you trade in for an L...

• Like 1

Unfortunately, with how these are designed, theres no possible way to include a bigger tank.  The best way to go is extended version, as the fe is negligible but has 5 extra gallons.  Also, if rumors are correct, 22my will add a hybrid, which will extend the range. Even the bigger wagoneer will only have an extra gallon compared to what you have now.

7 hours ago, Emilner said:

You can't compare a Nav to an F150 because you are forgetting about the 3rd row.  A pickup is dead flat out back whereas that depression where your feet and folding seats go sits right over the tank necessitating it shrinking.  Just think about this logically - where would you put 13 one gallon milk jugs under the truck and keep them safe?  There is only so much room under there between the frame rails, in front of the axle, away from the driveshaft, exhaust and structure.  I mention GM trucks because they are the main competition and are right in line.  The last Escalade/Tahoe had a 26 gallon tank but when they resigned it with an independent rear like the Nav they shrunk it to 24 gallons because of the space.  This isn't something you can fix, it's just not possible.  I do prefer a larger tank because frankly I hate getting gas.  The extra space, better ride quality and larger gas tank has had me buy ESV's and my Nav L.  If it really means that much to you trade in for an L...

This is what I was thinking. A few more gallons or the leg room in the back? I hear that get touted, not how big fuel tanks are. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TrentM said:

Good point about the 3rd row.  Not trading in my BL for an L.  The 23 gallon will be fine.  Just gotta get used to it as I have had much larger tanks for so many years.  I will live.

It's difficult, but drop ur speed to 70mph and enjoy the smooth ride and excellent sound system.  The 18 expy I had would religiously do over 500 miles on extended road trips, with over 550 in perfect conditions (65mph flat no traffic).

Edited by Dlcorbett
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dlcorbett said:

It's difficult, but drop ur speed to 70mph and enjoy the smooth ride and excellent sound system.  The 18 expy I had would religiously do over 500 miles on extended road trips, with over 550 in perfect conditions (65mph flat no traffic).

Even at 80mph my L gets over 20mpg.  I've done 90+ in my truck and it just shouldn't be a regular thing- in no way shape or form is the truck stabile at those speeds.  

• Like 1

Ha Ha!!  If you do 70 to 80 out here you will get run off the road and I enjoy the ride just fine at 90. I do 90 to 95 in my Raptor all the time. It is perfectly stable at those speeds.  And I took those 22" wheels and crappy highway tires off my Nav. Now has 10 ply all-terrain tires. Very very stable at high speeds and off road.  There are not flat glass smooth roads out here like there are in Florida where I bought it.

• Like 1

Yeah, I agree and understand that alright.  I may not be in the average Navigator buyer category lol.  You should have seen the faces at the dealership in Naples when I told them I was gonna drive it home to Idaho and turn it into an off-road friendly exploration / road trip cruiser. My Raptor works fine if it was just me, but my wife has some physical issues that need to be addressed and the Raptor does not meet  them. The Gator does because it is so comfortable for an all day 12 hour adventure.    She loves it!   If I cannot figure something out, it will be fine.  Just have to stop more often for gas.  

• Like 3

Yeah that has gotta be tough when towing something!  .  I did find out that there are several companies that will custom fabricate a second tank for any vehicle ya want.  The catch is it has to go where the spare tire is.  So if you want more fuel capacity in a Navigator ya gotta give up having a spare tire. Unless you carry it on a roof rack! Ha Ha!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TrentM said:

Yeah that has gotta be tough when towing something!  .  I did find out that there are several companies that will custom fabricate a second tank for any vehicle ya want.  The catch is it has to go where the spare tire is.  So if you want more fuel capacity in a Navigator ya gotta give up having a spare tire. Unless you carry it on a roof rack! Ha Ha!!

PM sent