Ford to Launch More Sub-Brands?

It is interesting. Ford (or at least the design department) has being toying with this idea for years. I remember reading around 1999-2001 that designers in wanted to create a KA sub-brand with the basic city car, the SportKA/StreetKa (which happened), and a Ka wagon/CUV (which didn't). I thought that was a good idea at the time. Also, remember the 24/7 Concepts? Those cars were HATED by the automotive press but actually were really accurate looks into our future. They had touchscreen controls, connectivity to the internet, and two of them were essentially tall hatchbacks/CUVs, and another was a mini-truck. 

Other than a Mustang Family (coupe/convertible, CUV, 4dr-sedan) and Bronco (Sport, 2/4dr, Truck, Bronco Max)...what else could Ford do? I always liked the idea of the "Model-E" name (it annoyed me years ago when Tesla co-opted the 'Model' prefix) and perhaps that could turn into an affordable range of small EVs in various bodystyles.

• Like 1

So, this article blurred the line between trims and sub-brands.

Obviously Ford has made Mustang and Bronco into sub-brands.  F-series and Transit already were.   But them talking about "Raptor" becoming a sub-brand is inaccurate - it's a trim level, not a model on its own.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Andrew L said:

*Mercury sits in the corner crying*

Mercury was the original "up-market" car created by Edsel Ford himself. Created as a "bridge" between Ford and Lincoln. It was less a "sub-brand" and more a separate marquee that at the end of it's span became nothing more than a Ford with a different grille.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, twintornados said:

Mercury was the original "up-market" car created by Edsel Ford himself. Created as a "bridge" between Ford and Lincoln. It was less a "sub-brand" and more a separate marquee that at the end of it's span became nothing more than a Ford with a different grille.

Maybe Merkur could be considered a sub-brand of Lincoln-Mercury? ?

• Like 1

Other than Mustang, Bronco, Transit and F series, there is nothing else they have that could be a sub brand. If they didn't bungle Taurus so badly over the 3rd generation and later, that could have been a crossover brand as the wagon was a strong seller early on and could have evolved into a CUV. Then Taurus could have been a fifth.

Edited by atomcat68

21 minutes ago, atomcat68 said:

Other than Mustang, Bronco, Transit and F series, there is nothing else they have that could be a sub brand. If they didn't bungle Taurus so badly over the 3rd generation and later, that could have been a crossover brand as the wagon was a strong seller early on and could have evolved into a CUV. Then Taurus could have been a fifth.

I agree with this as well.  I mean, I guess the only other existing (in use) nameplate that could possibly justify use as a sub-brand would be Explorer, but they already have other established names for other crossover models.

Some have thought Thunderbird would've been a good EV name.

2 hours ago, atomcat68 said:

I’ve owned quite a few Fords.  I forgot about the red 1990 Taurus Wagon we had. I really liked that car.  My family out grew it and we went to an Aerostar.  But the wagon was well done. 

Edited by barney9014

I can see Ford adding more vehicles to existing sub-brands but launching new ones? Seems like we will hit a point of diminishing returns pretty fast. Will Escape sell better as Explorer Scout? Will Edge see resurrection as Explorer Sport? As some point, it is about the actual product, not the name. 

F-Series: F150/250/350/450/550/600 - seems pretty saturated. The only logical extension would be going lower... F100 but Ranger is a much stronger name on a worldwide basis

Transit: Transit, Custom, Connect, Courier - again seems pretty full line up already. 

Tourneo: Sub-sub-brand fun ?

Mustang: Mustang, Mach E - I could see a performance sedan here but that market is dying. More "same but different" theme on Mustang is more likely e.g. GT500, Mach 1, Bullit, GT350 (if it comes back) etc. 

Bronco: Bronco and Bronco Sport - seems like Ford hit pay dirt here with all the interest in Bronco. I can see a Bronco Sporttrac truck being added but not much else. Maybe a 2 door Bronco Sport which will be kind of fun but probably too small of a market. Would Ford dare use the Bronco name for EcoSport replacement? That maybe going too far.

Explorer: This used to be sub-brand when Sporttrac and Sport were sold as separate models under the Explorer sub-brand. I can see Ford going back to this idea if Edge continues to sink. For example, what if the mid size EV is launched as Explorer Sport instead of Edge (or some other name)? And instead of Mondeo Active or whatever name it was supposed to have, Ford names it Explorer Evos? I can see that working as long as Explorer Sport and Explorer Evos are good competitive vehicles like Mach E.

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, falconlover 1 said:

Taurus, Thunderbird, Fairlane...  

I love the Thunderbird name, but it’s roots are Native American. I wonder if it would give Ford pause in resurrecting it (see Cherokee). 

There’s also Falcon and Galaxie. 

Mustang

Mustang - Mach-E

Mustang - Falcon 

Would be a cool sub brand

Raptor

Ranger Raptor

Bronco Raptor 

Is a missed opportunity for one IMHO. 

Edited by sullynd

28 minutes ago, sullynd said:

Raptor

Ranger Raptor

Bronco Raptor 

Is a missed opportunity for one IMHO. 

Not sure that works as a sub brand though since those are just special models of other vehicles rather than separate vehicles.

Maybe Ranger and Maverick could be a sub brand with another variant?

17 hours ago, atomcat68 said:

Taurus was a practical alternate to SUVs of the time. Over 20 cuft of cargo space and awd. The short lived Taurus X tried to bridge the gap between wagon and SUV (ala Subaru). Failed miserably in sales. Those who bought seemed to enjoy them. BTW still own a Taurus SHO.

9 minutes ago, paintguy said:

Taurus was a practical alternate to SUVs of the time. Over 20 cuft of cargo space and awd. The short lived Taurus X tried to bridge the gap between wagon and SUV (ala Subaru). Failed miserably in sales. Those who bought seemed to enjoy them. BTW still own a Taurus SHO.

Taurus X was also a rebadged Freestyle refresh, which itself was mediocre to begin with. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Taurus X was also a rebadged Freestyle refresh, which itself was mediocre to begin with. 

Much of the trouble with Freestyle was due to the mediocre engine (200hp Duratec) and transmission (CVT). Both of these were changed in Taurus X, but you are correct, as the damage to the reputation was done. Visually not much differentiation. I recall also the 2008 Taurus auto show car, could see the buffer marks where they removed the "Five Hundred" badging.

33 minutes ago, paintguy said:

Much of the trouble with Freestyle was due to the mediocre engine (200hp Duratec) and transmission (CVT). Both of these were changed in Taurus X, but you are correct, as the damage to the reputation was done. Visually not much differentiation. I recall also the 2008 Taurus auto show car, could see the buffer marks where they removed the "Five Hundred" badging.

I will NEVER understand that move by Ford at the time.  I remember I used to get MotorTrend all the time and they had an article comparing large sedans and they said the FiveHundred would have won if it wasn't for the anemic engine.  I know the 3.5 wasn't ready but come on they were able to get more power out of the 3.0 with the LS at 232.  Granted it was RWD but still.  A couple years later the Fusion debuted with 221.  Anything would have been better than 200.  I think the most they ever got out of the 3.0 was 240.

• Like 2