Used truck values are insane

I am amazed by truck resale values right now.

My brother sold his 2014 Ram 1500 Crew to Carvana for $18k (82k miles and few options) and they turned around and sold it instantly after for almost $24k.

I monitor my truck's value over time and my 2019 Ranger SCrew is actually worth more today than it was worth in the fall of 2019 (with 12k more miles).

As inventory shrinks, the values are going to be inflated like this.  Not a good time to be in the market for a truck (but a great time to be selling one)!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good discussion topic, thank you Anthony sir. As a 2019 Ford Ranger owner also, everything that you mentioned matches with what I've seen in the pickup truck market.

I'm not selling the Ranger though, as it's an essential tool for my family's lawn care and landscaping business. And business so far this spring is the best it's ever been for us!

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After driving nothing but new Mustang GT's for many years as my company car, I've been driving a 2020 Ford EcoSport SE w/Navigation that I did a 24 lease on in August 2020. It has very few miles on it and I paid off the lease 6 months ahead of schedule. Right now, I'll probably just buy the vehicle at the end of the lease because it'll make the most sense financially because of the lease residual and contract. Because of the incredible low mileage and the lease terms, it'll be like buying a new vehicle at half price. The other option, which I won't have to decide until then, is to buy the vehicle, then sell it for a profit if market conditions stay like they are now. If so, the question will be what vehicle to acquire next based on the options available, Ford or otherwise.  

Carmax is offering me $6500 less than I paid for it new 1.5 years ago for my Pacifica Hybrid van with 40k (overestimate)  miles on it. That's like $361/month rent.

I realize this thread is about used trucks but it's what I have until my 350 is delivered. 

Edited by 4thTimer

• 4 weeks later...

I'm giving less for my ordered 2022 F450 Platinum than a two-year-old one.... but I had to wait for 7 months.  Supply and demand and Amazon timing at its best!  Many folks want what they want and they want it now.  Wanting it now costs money.

-J