Lincoln Zephyr Reflection

14 minutes ago, 2005Explorer said:

That new Zephyr is beautiful. Sadly we will never see anything like it in the USA.

What's sad is that North America gives 95% of the profit and China that contributes little profit and probably our biggest enemy gets more than its lion share of new product. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mustang84isu said:

I'm in the market for a new vehicle (currently have an MKZ) and this is exactly what I am looking for.  Sadly, Ford is going to force me to look at another manufacturer because they will never bring something like this over here.

Just move to China. I hear most companies allow fully remote work now days.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Hmmm....every luxury maker selling vehicles in America has at least one sedan offering but ONE....Lincoln. 

And none of them have all of these vehicles either - Bronco, Ranger, Maverick, Mach-E, F150, Super Duty, Transit, Transit Connect.  Not to mention all the new BEVs in development.

You can't do all that at the same time without cutting something somewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

Hmmm....every luxury maker selling vehicles in America has at least one sedan offering but ONE....Lincoln. 

Lincoln is in a transition period right now, it's finally coming alive again after being a zombie brand for a long time. Maybe a sedan will be added to the Lincoln product lineup in the U.S. and other regions outside China once the brand becomes 100% electric vehicles.

9 hours ago, hbalek said:

This is a cool video of the Zephyr:

Lincoln Zephyr Reflection Concept (China Only) - YouTube

I had a 2013 MKZ 2.0 AWD in Ingot Silver. I traded it for a 2020 Explorer ST and love it but still miss the sleek sedan. This would've been an awesome evolution of that last design!

And unlike the Continental, the MKZ was a top seller for Lincoln and their only hybrid that got 40 mpg. Still waiting for hybrid Corsair. 

My wife gave up her last MKZ (Escape Limited now), and has been wanting to get back into a Lincoln sedan as she's not the biggest CUV/SUV fan.  We've found some 2020 MKZs, but I think she may be headed towards an Acura TLX/AWD . . . then I showed her the China Zephyr, and she's even more pissed she didn't keep her MKZ!  LOL!  Stinks, but that's how things roll sometimes . . . 

3 hours ago, akirby said:

Flat Rock sure seems to be available.....

That's exactly what I was thinking - they have a plant available this time that's limited to shorter vehicles.  Why not offer them here?

If there were no plant space, I'd understand more, but they have one sitting there.  Unless they just plain import them from China.

I just don't believe Ford can't put together a business plan for 100k volume for Evos and Zephyr combined to go into Flat Rock or another plant. It's mind boggling that a car company like Ford can't figure out how to make and sell cars in one of its primary market. Honda manages the business case for TLX just fine with similar volume as MKZ. The whole point of a common modular platform like C2 is so you can make multiple models on the same production line with ease and flexibility. It's crazy that Ford still can't manage that in North America. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bzcat said:

I just don't believe Ford can't put together a business plan for 100k volume for Evos and Zephyr combined to go into Flat Rock or another plant. It's mind boggling that a car company like Ford can't figure out how to make and sell cars in one of its primary market. Honda manages the business case for TLX just fine with similar volume as MKZ. The whole point of a common modular platform like C2 is so you can make multiple models on the same production line with ease and flexibility. It's crazy that Ford still can't manage that in North America. 

It has?

TLX sales:

Calendar year US sales[23]
2014 19,127
2015 47,080
2016 37,156
2017 34,846
2018 30,468
2019 26,548
2020 21,785

MKZ for comparison

Calendar
Year
U.S. sales (2005 - 2019) China[37]
Total
(gas & hybrid)
Hybrid-only Hybrid
2005 4,985[38]     N/A
2006 33,114[39]    
2007 34,363[40]    
2008 30,117[41]    
2009 22,081[42]    
2010 22,535[43] 1,192[44] 5.3%
2011 27,529[45] 5,739[46] 20.8%
2012 28,053[47] 6,067[48] 21.6%
2013 32,361[49] 7,469[50] 23.1%
2014 34,009[51] 10,033[52] 29.5%
2015 30,901[53] 8,403[54] 27.2% 2,801
2016 30,534[55] 7,219[56] 23.6% 7,325
2017 27,387[57] 5,931[58] 21.7% 12,497
2018 19,852[59]     12,560
2019 17,725[60]      
2020 12,518[61]  

The TLX is based on the Accord, which is still selling ok, but its loosing sales since 2014

2015 355,557 −8.4%
2016 345,225 −2.9%
2017 322,655 −6.5%
2018 291,071 −9.8%
2019 267,567 −8.1%
2020 199,458 −25.5%

2 hours ago, bzcat said:

I would think auto consumers are starting to get very bored seeing the same generic, CUV shape on the road with only different logos on the hood and tailgate. After awhile, we will go full circle and sedans will make a comeback. Lincoln needs a sharp, luxurious sedan priced similar to the MKZ.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

I would think auto consumers are starting to get very bored seeing the same generic, CUV shape on the road with only different logos on the hood and tailgate. After awhile, we will go full circle and sedans will make a comeback. Lincoln needs a sharp, luxurious sedan priced similar to the MKZ.

Given the way that people view cars and the expense of them, a Sedan has alot of shortcomings vs a CUV...perceived or not. 

Look at this way-with the way the costs of new car is (almost 40K) people are leaning more towards a swiss army knife approach with CUVs or Trucks. 

You can fit large objects in them without any issues nor are you dependent on having things delivered, depending on what you buy. 

Sedans are almost like coupes in most people's eyes...the only thing they can do equally as good as a CUV in most cases is carry people. 

People rather pay more for something they might need then what they actually need...we are just seeing a return the form factor of what was popular in the 1920-40s. People don't replace cars nor are they disposible products like they where 30-40 years ago. 

Edited by silvrsvt
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Given the way that people view cars and the expense of them, a Sedan has alot of shortcomings vs a CUV...perceived or not. 

I own a CUV, and it does have shortcomings....more expensive, higher center of gravity, not as good aerodynamics, more generic, poorer fuel mileage than commensurate sedan. Sedans have their place, especially in the luxury segment. Even the top BEVs are sedans like Model S, Taycan, and Aude E tron . The new Lucid sedan looks like a winner also.