Ford to start on site Covid-19 Vaccinations

For the record I just had my 2nd Moderna shot this morning.   I think it's great that they're offering the vaccines to make it more convenient for employees, as long as it's not mandated.

I say let everyone who wants the vaccine get it, then open everything back up and let people decide for themselves whether or not to get it.  Just like the flu vaccine.

• Like 11

This onsite vaccination program is a great collaboration between Ford and UAW. Here is the official Ford press release. Ford and the UAW Providing On-Site COVID-19 Vaccines for Employees in Southeast Michigan, Ohio and Missouri | Ford Media Center

Ford plants offering onsite Covid-19 vaccination through June 2021.

• Michigan. Flat Rock, Rouge, Van Dyke, Rawsonville
  • Missouri. Kansas City
  • Ohio.  Lima

48 minutes ago, akirby said:

For the record I just had my 2nd Moderna shot this morning.   I think it's great that they're offering the vaccines to make it more convenient for employees, as long as it's not mandated.

I say let everyone who wants the vaccine get it, then open everything back up and let people decide for themselves whether or not to get it.  Just like the flu vaccine.

Great news, but in my world every Ford employee should be required to be vaccinated to continue employment. Only exceptions would be some medical problem. Ford can't have continued virus spread when it can be mitigated with life saving vaccine. Ditto for flying on commercial aircraft or cruise ship. You are not FREE to infect others with Covid.

As for me, I received my second Phizer shot last month and consider it my civic duty and will get the booster shot. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

You can't force anyone to get a vaccine.  Assuming a large percentage of workers are vaccinated the risk of the other workers missing work because of Covid is extremely small, especially for younger workers.   It should be far less impactful than a regular flu outbreak.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, akirby said:

You can't force anyone to get a vaccine.  Assuming a large percentage of workers are vaccinated the risk of the other workers missing work because of Covid is extremely small, especially for younger workers.   It should be far less impactful than a regular flu outbreak.

That's true but a private business can. I believe when the cruise ship industry gets the OK, customers will have to be vaccinated to get on ship. If not, I know I would not get on the ship. You don't have the freedom to yell fire in a crowded theater, so therefore you don't have the right to infect people in a plant, a cruise ship, or a commercial aircraft.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

That's true but a private business can. I believe when the cruise ship industry gets the OK, customers will have to be vaccinated to get on ship. If not, I know I would not get on the ship. You don't have the freedom to yell fire in a crowded theater, so therefore you don't have the right to infect people in a plant, a cruise ship, or a commercial aircraft.

The thing is the vaccine isn't going to stop you from possibly passing it on to someone else or not getting it period...all its doing is making so you don't die from it.

I had it back in December and I'm getting my first shot Friday...

2 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Big difference between employees and customers.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

25 million vs 350 Million plus

One still has to wonder why America leads the world in Covid cases and death. Both India and China have a lot more population than U.S. And we lead the world in gun violence also. Maybe dysfunctional Brazil will eventually pass us in Covid deaths, but for now we lead the world.

16 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

One still has to wonder why America leads the world in Covid cases and death. Both India and China have a lot more population than U.S. And we lead the world in gun violence also. Maybe dysfunctional Brazil will eventually pass us in Covid deaths, but for now we lead the world.

Did you ever stop to think that Americans have more underlying conditions that lead to death than other countries?  Certainly more obesity.  At least half the deaths came from assisted living facilities - do other countries have as many elderly in those types of facilities?

• Like 6

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

The thing is the vaccine isn't going to stop you from possibly passing it on to someone else or not getting it period...all its doing is making so you don't die from it.

I had it back in December and I'm getting my first shot Friday...

Correct, very effective in preventing hospitalisation and about 70% effective in preventing you being infected,

that’s the thing people don’t understand, you can still get COVID and become silent carriers spreading the virus.

Rand Paul didn’t get that in his exchange with Fauchi, the vaccines are a fragile defence until you have 60-70% 

of people vaccinated and infected people quarantined.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Did you ever stop to think that Americans have more underlying conditions that lead to death than other countries?  Certainly more obesity.  At least half the deaths came from assisted living facilities - do other countries have as many elderly in those types of facilities?

There is that but I think the US was highly infected by the time that States like New York got moving and realised how bad it was. The constant down playing of circumstances didn’t help, telling people it would all go away in the summer was just nonsense.

Edited by jpd80

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Big difference between employees and customers.

Depends on the workplace environment. The higher the likelihood that non-vaccinated employees put other employees, customers, visitors, or the general public at risk, the more likely that vaccination mandates will apply across the board to employees, customers, and visitors alike.

You can't force someone to get a vaccine under the current EUA approval process (Emergency Use Authorization) however as soon as the vaccine becomes approved by the FDA under normal review an Employer, School or Sports league could force you to get one. Pfizer is submitted to BLA the approval in this quarter which means approval should take place in Q4 this year. 

While those groups couldn't technically force you to get one, they can say you can't play in games, are not allowed in the office or at in person meetings or must continue to remote learn and are not allowed on campus.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, jpd80 said:

There is that but I think the US was highly infected by the time that States like New York got moving and realised how bad it was. The constant down playing of circumstances didn’t help, telling people it would all go away in the summer was just nonsense.

NY was also packing nursing homes with elderly people who are the most vulnerable to it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56091682

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/08/nyregion/nursing-homes-deaths-coronavirus.html

Then I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that COVID deaths might have been over reported due to way our healthcare system works-You could have had a heart attack and a COVID test was administered and you where postive…they would say you died of COVID. The amount of flu deaths this past flu season was super low or was never reported (at least from what I've seen, but I haven't dug into it at all)

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

You can't force someone to get a vaccine under the current EUA approval process (Emergency Use Authorization) however as soon as the vaccine becomes approved by the FDA under normal review an Employer, School or Sports league could force you to get one.

Ford certainly can't force bargained for workers to get one without union approval and I don't see that happening.   I don't see any business requiring employees to get it unless they experience a significant disruption to their work force.  Requiring it for optional activities is a lot different than requiring it for employment and I can see quite a few workers refusing and potential lawsuits.

Honestly I don't see all that being necessary.  If 80% are vaccinated (and probably a higher percentage of the most at risk population) then outbreaks should be minor and no worse than a seasonal flu outbreak.

12 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Depends on the workplace environment. The higher the likelihood that non-vaccinated employees put other employees, customers, visitors, or the general public at risk, the more likely that vaccination mandates will apply across the board to employees, customers, and visitors alike.

Good points as usual. Getting to herd immunity is of utmost importance. That number seems to be 80%+. So requiring employees, students, and customers to be vaccinated would get us closer to that number. If that still doesn't get us there, then I would favor paying the rest to get vaccinated. Whatever it takes. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, akirby said:

Ford certainly can't force bargained for workers to get one without union approval and I don't see that happening.   I don't see any business requiring employees to get it unless they experience a significant disruption to their work force.  Requiring it for optional activities is a lot different than requiring it for employment and I can see quite a few workers refusing and potential lawsuits.

Honestly I don't see all that being necessary.  If 80% are vaccinated (and probably a higher percentage of the most at risk population) then outbreaks should be minor and no worse than a seasonal flu outbreak.

Then pay the worker a $500+ bonus to get vaccinated. It would cost Ford a lot more in downtime if plant becomes infected. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

NY was also packing nursing homes with elderly people who are the most vulnerable to it.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56091682

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/08/nyregion/nursing-homes-deaths-coronavirus.html

Then I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that COVID deaths might have been over reported due to way our healthcare system works-You could have had a heart attack and a COVID test was administered and you where postive…they would say you died of COVID. The amount of flu deaths this past flu season was super low or was never reported (at least from what I've seen, but I haven't dug into it at all)

I would think the opposite.....many more cases and deaths than reported plus millions of "long haulers" still suffering from the disease. Many never got tested and many never went to the hospital and died at home. The estimates I have heard concerning unreported deaths is 50,000+. Worldwide, over 1 million.

8 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Then pay the worker a $500+ bonus to get vaccinated. It would cost Ford a lot more in downtime if plant becomes infected. 

Good suggestion FordBuyer sir. Hopefully UAW and Ford can work out a program like this pretty quickly without running into contract issues.