High-Performance Ford F-150 Street Truck Under Consideration

4 minutes ago, ESP08 said:

Cybertruck had 3 powertrains announced in 2019:  single motor, dual motor and a triple-motor capable of 0-60 mph in 2.9 seconds.

You don't think Ford's choice to resurrect a legendary high-performance nameplate has anything to do with Cybertruck's top spec models?  

Absolutely not.  Mach-E already has 3 powertrains - 4 if you count the 7 motor 1400 hp prototype.   Those were also in development for years.  There is no rocket science here.  This is what Ford was planning from day one.

13 minutes ago, akirby said:

Absolutely not.  Mach-E already has 3 powertrains - 4 if you count the 7 motor 1400 hp prototype.   Those were also in development for years.  There is no rocket science here.  This is what Ford was planning from day one.

We'll see how the F-Series BEVs spec out.  If the Lightning ends up with a unique motor arrangement and a claimed 0-60 in the 3.0 second range I'd say it's safe to assume the Lightning specifically is a direct response the the triple-motor Cybertruck's 2 year old performance claims.  

Edited by ESP08

Ford has the F-Series BEV under development for a long time. It is a serious truck that can do seriously jobs and not a gimmicky caricature like Cybertruck. And frankly, given the Cybertruck is still years away, the more obvious competition is GMC Hummer truck which will start delivery in late 2021.

Lightning is probably going to look similar to GMC Hummer's spec. And the lower power F-Series BEV will probably not get the Lightning name but will also probably cost about the same as the gasoline hybrid Powerboost F-150. At least that's how I would market them. 

Hummer Edition 1 (~1000 hp tri-motor) $113k

Hummer EV2 (~625hp dual-motor) $80k

Hummer EV2X (~625hp dua-motor) $90k

Hummer EV3X (~800hp tri-motor) $100k

Difference between EV2 and EV2 is 4WS (crabwalk) and air suspension. 

I can see Ford try to price a tri-motor range-topping Lightning somewhere below Hummer EV3X. But Ford will be all in on making lower power F-150 EV as an alternative to ICE like when Ecoboost came out as an alternative to V8. I think we will see dual-motor F-150 EV with ~600hp will be similar to what you pay now for F-150 Powerboost. And Ford probably will have something in the ~400 hp range that will be priced roughly in the same price range as ICE only F-150.

Edited by bzcat

6 hours ago, ESP08 said:

Cybertruck had 3 powertrains announced in 2019:  single motor, dual motor and a triple-motor capable of 0-60 mph in 2.9 seconds.

You don't think Ford's choice to resurrect a legendary high-performance nameplate has anything to do with Cybertruck's top spec models?  

I sure hope so! I hope the Lightning Fseries is a high performance model and not just the name of the Elec Fseries line UNLESS the entire line is worthy of the name, i.e. Mach E.