Mach E Review by Munro

• 1 month later...

I saw the “thermal nightmare” video. I understand some of what he says but this isn’t the 80s. Constant tension clamps are used on every OEM I’ve ever worked on. They don’t leak until they are moved. They are marked as replace in most manual procedures. 

Also, so instead of replacing  a defective component, making it one unit means you replace the entire assembly. I’m sure Ford did plenty of cost analysis and tried to use stuff they already have on the shelf. It’s always easy to critique someone else’s work. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Let’s see what Ford revises on it over time.  For as much attention to cost cutting as Ford does, they appear to be missing the things that save money, increase reliability, and won’t be noticed by consumers.  Tesla’s have been on the market long enough to tear apart and benchmark.  When watching the video I couldn’t stop thinking that there was some German engineering involved in the MAch E.

Maybe Ford has learned a thing or two from the Mach E and we'll see the difference in the Lightning and Maverick.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, slemke said:

Let’s see what Ford revises on it over time.  For as much attention to cost cutting as Ford does, they appear to be missing the things that save money, increase reliability, and won’t be noticed by consumers.  Tesla’s have been on the market long enough to tear apart and benchmark.  When watching the video I couldn’t stop thinking that there was some German engineering involved in the MAch E.

Maybe Ford has learned a thing or two from the Mach E and we'll see the difference in the Lightning and Maverick.

For one thing, it's also Ford's first true ground-up EV, so naturally it's no surprise there aren't areas to improve upon.  Munro has also given them high marks in other areas on his overview, so it's not as if they had a horrid first entry (not saying you're saying this, just pointing it out).

Another aspect I wonder about could lie in the fact it was originally intended more as a compliance EV - maybe they weren't trying for as much groundbreaking/out of the norm type stuff initially, and it was too late in the process to do much more than restyle (exterior/interior looks wise) what was already there internally?  And with time/redesigns and what they've learned with this model they'll improve/change things on future models like you mentioned?

10 hours ago, rmc523 said:

For one thing, it's also Ford's first true ground-up EV, so naturally it's no surprise there aren't areas to improve upon. 

Since the new EV chassis (GE2) will be based on MME (GE), it won't take too long to see what Ford do to improve on it (2023).

12 hours ago, slemke said:

Ford has undergone a cultural change that makes them less likely now to keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again, something they became well known for.

Hopefully Munro will do a complete teardown and profitability analysis on Mustang Mach-E soon. 

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Hopefully Munro will do a complete teardown and profitability analysis on Mustang Mach-E soon. 

Wouldn’t that be determined by Ford?  Ford hired Munro to reduce cost on the battery tray.  Whether or not that the results are made public would also be determined by Ford.  Unless Munro can now make more money on YouTube videos than selling engineering services.

6 hours ago, slemke said:

Wouldn’t that be determined by Ford?  Ford hired Munro to reduce cost on the battery tray.  Whether or not that the results are made public would also be determined by Ford.  Unless Munro can now make more money on YouTube videos than selling engineering services.

Munro and Associates is one of the world's foremost experts for reverse engineering and for cost/profitability analysis.