'21 F150 Adds Scales, Hitch, Dampers

13 minutes ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

Why? I drove truck for decades and never got a ticket, overweight or otherwise- I knew my truck's empty weight, the weight of the load, and loaded it properly so I stayed legal.

Why cruise control?  Why trailer backup assist?  Why park assist?  Why blind spot detection?  Why backup cameras?  Why automatic transmissions?

• Like 4

Once they went to electronic engine controls all it took to add cruise was some software and switches. Camera based low speed navigation assist is a repair cost accelerator and waste of chips, drivers should learn how to drive instead. Automatics? The best are really automated manuals and torque converter based automatics are only an advantage in city traffic and for heavy hauls- I'm talking permit "super loads", not a half ton on or behind an F150. Real on board scales are useful on a big truck that has to loaded right up to the weight limit, sounds like the F150 system is much cruder, and the aftermarket already beat them to it using data from the onboard "tilt" sensors.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

Once they went to electronic engine controls all it took to add cruise was some software and switches.

I put cruise on my 2005 F-150 XL by going to the bone yard, getting the switches and harness (for $10...!) and a trip to the dealership to have the CC turned on in the engine management computer... (for $29...!!!)

Having a bum right leg, after some persuasion my employer had an aftermarket cruise control put on the mechanical Cummins L10 engined '86 Freightliner I drove, cost several hundred bucks because besides the computer it needed speed sensors and a servo to work the throttle as well as switches. About the same time Detroit Diesel brought out the Series 60 with electronic controls and cruise was standard- All the truck maker had to do was add the switches, maybe some sensors, and wire it up. Couple years later in '96 or so I test drove a VW TDI and same deal- Cruise control standard because all they had to do was put a switch or three on the end of the turn signal stick.

• 2 weeks later...