Ford April 2021 Sales Results

Explorer sales are going through the roof. Too bad though as inventory dwindles. Bronco Sport sales keep going up and Mullinax has many in stock and inventory going up. Chip shortage doesn't seem to affect Mexican plants as much for some reason. Guess they stockpiled chips. 

7 minutes ago, PREMiERdrum said:

If only someone would have explained the strategy... ?

In 2018 Escape averaged 22K/month and we know a lot of those were fleet sales and/or heavily incentivized.

I said before that Escape and Bronco Sport could easily sell 15K each and we're almost there.   27K combined with much higher ATPs and lower incentives vs. 2018 escape sales.   And that's with supply constraints on the hev and phevs. 

• Like 2

Back in 2014 or 2015, Louisville was on three shifts  and producing ~430,000 vehicles, only a fraction of those were MKCs. So while Ford will take success from Bronco Sport + Escape sales combined being over 28,000 last month, there is clearly some longer term realignment of sales going on there but equally it’s also set in the current chip restrictions as well.

Edited by jpd80

35 minutes ago, akirby said:

In 2018 Escape averaged 22K/month and we know a lot of those were fleet sales and/or heavily incentivized.

I said before that Escape and Bronco Sport could easily sell 15K each and we're almost there.   27K combined with much higher ATPs and lower incentives vs. 2018 escape sales.   And that's with supply constraints on the hev and phevs. 

From the PDF:

Bronco Sport, turning on dealer lots in just 13 days, produced an average transaction price of $31,800 per SUV – the highest in segment.

• Like 4

I also found these notes interesting:

Ford’s April retail sales were up 57.1 percent, not only selling above 2020 results, but also up 23.7 percent relative to April 2019 results. Together, retail truck and SUV sales were up 70.1 percent providing Ford Truck and SUV sales with their best April retail sales performance since 2006.

 F-Series retail share expanded 2 percentage points through April of this year in the full-size pickup segment. F-Series retail sales were up 19.7 percent for the month, while beating April 2019 retail sales levels by 9.3 percent.

 Ford brand SUVs hit record high retail sales – up 125 percent over a year ago on new product introductions. Ford SUV sales were up across the board, besting April 2019 by 54.7 percent.

I guess they had the Explorer changover then, which hurt 2019 numbers, but interesting to note that some of the numbers were above 2019 levels, and not just up due to last year's shutdown.

• Like 1

Any time Explorer is selling over 26k-27k combined per month, that’s a great indicator that retail and commercial/police sales are both strong. Aviator +2,800 sales is also a great result

Edited by jpd80

The usual caveat... we have to wait to see how much sales increases the other companies are reporting but on the face of it, this is a good month for Ford. Toyota still has a lead on Ford YTD and they won't relinquish that lead without a fight.

Vindication for the Bronco Sport + Escape strategy. Although the two combined is still far below the volume sold by Nissan, Honda or Toyota. It's good showing by Ford but the compact CUV segment has expanded so much the last three years (it is now by far the biggest selling segment other than fullsize pickup trucks) that Ford still has much work to do. 

Mach E + Edge YTD is also higher than Edge alone last year. If only Ford can figure out a way to accelerate the Edge BEV instead of waiting until 2023.

Explorer numbers are great. Ford clearly know what it is doing here and much credit to Ford for making improvements to the product (trim level changes and some minor upgrades of interior materials) to keep the momentum going. This is the kind of change I would have like to see on Escape.

Transit sales took a beating last month but seems to be back on track. I wonder if it was just a timing fluke last month. Maybe Amazon delayed taking delivery by a few days and missed the end of the month cutoff? 

F-Series sales very impressive again and you have to wonder how much is it being held back by the chip shortage.

Edited by bzcat

Ford also likes to control sales to a degree with higher prices so this may not be a direct apples to apples sales comparison with other brands.

Gotta say though, RAV4 with 40,000 sales is massive, especially when still close to 30k sales of Camry - a little subdued 

Edited by jpd80

3 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Ford also likes to control sales to a degree with higher prices so this may not be a direct apples to apples sales with other brands.

If you think Toyota or Honda are not getting top dollar for RAV4 or CR-V, I have news for you ?

But Ford dominates fullsize trucks, vans, and large SUV (Explorer) in the same way so I gave Ford credit where they are able to exact volume AND price leverage. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Broncofan7 said:

Consistently good Ranger numbers for such an "old" truck. Congrats!

Well to be fair it's not really an "old" truck in this market. It's not like you have people with a 2014 model not wanting to trade up to a new one because it's too similar. Most Ranger buyers are probably still new to this generation of Ranger in this market.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bzcat said:

If you think Toyota or Honda are not getting top dollar for RAV4 or CR-V, I have news for you ?

But Ford dominates fullsize trucks, vans, and large SUV (Explorer) in the same way so I gave Ford credit where they are able to exact volume AND price leverage. 

And this is also why people are thinking that Escape has not hit its marks as well as RAV4.

As you rightly point out, Ford’s strengths lie in F Series the commercial fleet sales of Transit and it’s larger Utiity sales with more profit.

All any of the manufacturers can do now is struggle through with whatever chip supplies and other material shortages they have 

Edited by jpd80

Expedition did very well with 8800 sales....outsold whatever fusions are left on the lot by a wide margin.

Mach e selling under 2k per month isn’t setting the world on fire.  How much of that is supply constraint?
Aviator was Lincoln’s best seller....edging out Corsair for the title.

7 minutes ago, slemke said:

Expedition did very well with 8800 sales....outsold whatever fusions are left on the lot by a wide margin.

Mach e selling under 2k per month isn’t setting the world on fire.  How much of that is supply constraint?
Aviator was Lincoln’s best seller....edging out Corsair for the title.

Well, weren't they limited to 50k capacity globally this year anyway, with half that going to Europe?

Which would mean 25k for US, or around 2,083 units per month max at full production, in theory.

19 minutes ago, sullynd said:

The only Mach-E on the lots, for sale, are canceled customer orders. I reserved first day you could, and mine just made it on a train the other week. 

Thanks for that info sullynd sir. The Mustang Mach-E my wife and I ordered shortly after reservations opened is in a similar situation. The vehicle has been built, but has a quality hold so it's not ready to ship to the dealership yet. We're OK with the wait.

18 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Well, weren't they limited to 50k capacity globally this year anyway, with half that going to Europe?

Which would mean 25k for US, or around 2,083 units per month max at full production, in theory.

Yes, and 4 days on the lot seems to confirm that.  What we don’t know is how close to the true demand is the supply.  Is the demand for another 500 vehicles per month or 5000?  We won’t know until Ford increases the supply and they start piling up on dealer lots.

1 hour ago, slemke said:

Yes, and 4 days on the lot seems to confirm that.  What we don’t know is how close to the true demand is the supply.  Is the demand for another 500 vehicles per month or 5000?  We won’t know until Ford increases the supply and they start piling up on dealer lots.

Yup, you're right.  It'll be interesting to see what happens.  I think as time goes on, BEVs will catch on more, but I'm ok with the slow rollout for now.