Ford April 2021 Sales Results

I would have been shocked if we didn’t see these large increases since that’s when covid was in full swing last year. I’m somewhat surprised by the sport being this close to escape in sales already. I didn’t think it would overtake the escape in sales, but it seems like it’s a possibility now. 

7 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Explorer sales are going through the roof. Too bad though as inventory dwindles. Bronco Sport sales keep going up and Mullinax has many in stock and inventory going up. Chip shortage doesn't seem to affect Mexican plants as much for some reason. Guess they stockpiled chips. 

My dealer has a lot of Explorers in most colors and trims. I was over there last week getting an oil change and sat in a few. I was tempted, but passed. They didn't have much else on the lot, a handful of F-150's mostly low trim and a decent number of Rangers, all but one Lariat Tremor were XLT and the Tremor was sold. They normally have around 250-300 F-150's this time of year, but doesn't look like that's about to happen.

7 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Back in 2014 or 2015, Louisville was on three shifts  and producing ~430,000 vehicles, only a fraction of those were MKCs. So while Ford will take success from Bronco Sport + Escape sales combined being over 28,000 last month, there is clearly some longer term realignment of sales going on there but equally it’s also set in the current chip restrictions as well.

The rest of the market has also changed a lot with more competition.  Even the old escape was seeing a decline in volume before the redesign.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rmc523 said:

From the PDF:

Bronco Sport, turning on dealer lots in just 13 days, produced an average transaction price of $31,800 per SUV – the highest in segment.

And people scoffed when I suggested that Bronco Sport was a premium vehicle in its segment.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sullynd said:

How many first gen escapes did they sell when it was in two plants?

U.S. market 1st gen Ford Escape was assembled at 2 plants, Ohio Assembly and Kansas City Assembly, between 2000 and 2005. Here are the sales numbers for those years.

2000 42,635    
2001 164,184    
2002 145,471    
2003 167,678    
2004 183,430 (inc. 2,993 Hybrids)    
2005 165,122 (inc. 18,797 Hybrids)  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Thanks for that info sullynd sir. The Mustang Mach-E my wife and I ordered shortly after reservations opened is in a similar situation. The vehicle has been built, but has a quality hold so it's not ready to ship to the dealership yet. We're OK with the wait.

My local Ford store has two Mach-E's on the lot so I stopped to look at it...I really, REALLY like it. I am looking at my commute routes and coming up with the idea that I can do it with an EV with ease...but both cars on the lot have the 68kwh battery...I may want the bigger one if only for peace of mind.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rperez817 said:

U.S. market 1st gen Ford Escape was assembled at 2 plants, Ohio Assembly and Kansas City Assembly, between 2000 and 2005. Here are the sales numbers for those years.

2000 42,635    
2001 164,184    
2002 145,471    
2003 167,678    
2004 183,430 (inc. 2,993 Hybrids)    
2005 165,122 (inc. 18,797 Hybrids)  

Only 12k-15k per month.  In fairness, those 2 plants needed to produce Mazda Tributes and Mercury Mariners also.  With those numbers consolidating production to one plant made sense.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, slemke said:

Only 12k-15k per month.  In fairness, those 2 plants needed to produce Mazda Tributes and Mercury Mariners also.  With those numbers consolidating production to one plant made sense.

Mariner was only the last year. 

33 minutes ago, akirby said:

One of the few things we can all agree on.

Ford doesn't seem to agree as there doesn't seem to be a new one in the works. Ecosport does have some positives though...cuteness, easy to park, good cargo room for its compact size, and affordable price with all the rebates. And it badly needs a hybrid option and copilot 360. 

Ecosport sells well in FL with retirees who live in patio villas with tiny garages. Perfect vehicle for them. Kind of like a golf cart that goes 100 mph and enclosed with AC and wipers. 

55 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Ford doesn't seem to agree as there doesn't seem to be a new one in the works. Ecosport does have some positives though...cuteness, easy to park, good cargo room for its compact size, and affordable price with all the rebates. And it badly needs a hybrid option and copilot 360. 

Ecosport sells well in FL with retirees who live in patio villas with tiny garages. Perfect vehicle for them. Kind of like a golf cart that goes 100 mph and enclosed with AC and wipers. 

A sub $20K vehicle is just not a priority compared to Mach-E, Bronco, Bronco Sport, Maverick, Ranger, F150 and Transit BEVs, midsized BEV utilities plus all the existing vehicles.  I'm sure we'll see a Puma here eventually if resources allow and the market dictates it.

I guess some still don't understand that all these new vehicles are essentially being created by the same group of folks that Ford had previously.  They didn't go out and hire tens of thousands of new people to develop Bronco, Ranger, Maverick, Bronco Sport and all the BEVs while still maintaining the existing vehicles.   For the most part it's a zero sum game especially if you're not building new factories. 

It's like having a load of lumber and you can use it to build $20 pallets or $50 tables with the same effort.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, akirby said:

I guess some still don't understand that all these new vehicles are essentially being created by the same group of folks that Ford had previously.  They didn't go out and hire tens of thousands of new people to develop Bronco, Ranger, Maverick, Bronco Sport and all the BEVs while still maintaining the existing vehicles.   For the most part it's a zero sum game especially if you're not building new factories. 

It's like having a load of lumber and you can use it to build $20 pallets or $50 tables with the same effort.

Absolutely.

Ford is actually quite comfortable with around 200k-220k sales per month in the US,

the last few years have been down a bit as Ford reassigns plants away from cars

but were now seeing higher priced Rangers and Bronco Sports coming from plants

that previously produced Focus and Fusion and of course at CAP, Aviator production

replaced the Taurus. All of those new products add more profit, it’s a no brainer.