Ford April 2021 Sales Results

6 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

Getting there, akirby. Now, to adjust the all-wood table costs!

https://www.furnitureacademy.com/solid-wood-furniture-cost/

"The average price of solid wood furniture can range anywhere from $299 – $5,000 depending on the size, craftsmanship, and materials." 

I build furniture and I’m building a set of hardwood end and coffe tables right now for about $350 for all 3.  Luckily hardwood prices have not budged much - certainly not as much as construction lumber.

37 minutes ago, akirby said:

I build furniture and I’m building a set of hardwood end and coffe tables right now for about $350 for all 3.  Luckily hardwood prices have not budged much - certainly not as much as construction lumber.

Sadly, I’m in the process of building a house right now.  It’s sickening how expensive the construction lumber has gotten.  The hardwoods are starting to move now too.  My hardwood floor package went up about $2k over the last three months.  

4 minutes ago, tbone said:

Sadly, I’m in the process of building a house right now.  It’s sickening how expensive the construction lumber has gotten.  The hardwoods are starting to move now too.  My hardwood floor package went up about $2k over the last three months.  

I've heard that home prices are up $24K on average just due to lumber costs.  Crazy.

• Sad 1

On 5/4/2021 at 7:34 PM, rmc523 said:

Unfortunately, with inventory issues looming, we're likely to see numbers hit a wall in the next few months.

Yeah, my local small town dealer is down to almost zero new vehicles to sell.  He cannot get anything in right now and has not been allocated much over the next couple of months.  He has 5 F150's coming and three are already sold.  They are now buying auction vehicles to sell and the prices of them have gone up since everyone else is having the same issues! 

4 hours ago, akirby said:

I've heard that home prices are up $24K on average just due to lumber costs.  Crazy.

In my case it is definitely higher than that, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the average price is higher than that, as well. 

Edited by tbone

3 hours ago, danglin said:

Yeah, my local small town dealer is down to almost zero new vehicles to sell.  He cannot get anything in right now and has not been allocated much over the next couple of months.  He has 5 F150's coming and three are already sold.  They are now buying auction vehicles to sell and the prices of them have gone up since everyone else is having the same issues! 

My dealer has 55 new units on the ground. They usually have 190-205. They only have seven F150s. 

On 5/4/2021 at 10:15 PM, T-dubz said:

I would have been shocked if we didn’t see these large increases since that’s when covid was in full swing last year. I’m somewhat surprised by the sport being this close to escape in sales already. I didn’t think it would overtake the escape in sales, but it seems like it’s a possibility now. 

I believe Escape will find its sales footing in coming year or so....segment is too important to ignore. Ford will sort it out over next year or so.

Ford recently expanded the Hybrid lineup, and plug in should be at dealers this year. Rumor also that Escape ST is in the works. They added the Titanium Elite and appearance package on SE models. Look for more tweaks on 2022 models.

I wouldn't be surprised if Escape sold in 20,000-24,000/month range in coming months once shortages are over. Add in BS sales and Ford will be in 40,000/month range in very important segment. Like baseball, you have to be strong up the middle to do well in auto market. 

And who cares which vehicle does better in sales as long as both perform decently in the market place. For those who want a cheaper price, better fuel mileage, don't need AWD, the Escape gives them choice in this segment. Choice is good. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

I believe Escape will find its sales footing in coming year or so....segment is too important to ignore. Ford will sort it out over next year or so.

Ford recently expanded the Hybrid lineup, and plug in should be at dealers this year. Rumor also that Escape ST is in the works. They added the Titanium Elite and appearance package on SE models. Look for more tweaks on 2022 models.

I wouldn't be surprised if Escape sold in 20,000-24,000/month range in coming months once shortages are over. Add in BS sales and Ford will be in 40,000/month range in very important segment. Like baseball, you have to be strong up the middle to do well in auto market. 

And who cares which vehicle does better in sales as long as both perform decently in the market place. For those who want a cheaper price, better fuel mileage, don't need AWD, the Escape gives them choice in this segment. Choice is good. 

The issue goes back to the 2020 Escape’s underwhelming sales even before covid hit, there was already a problem with the pricing and trim mix that seemed to be objectionable to the market or was akirby right about better competition?

To be honest, I think it’s a bit of everything with Ford trying to reposition Escape as more premium but also discovering that most competitors were doing the same.....so maybe hard for Escape to stand out from the pack?

As an aside, I would love to see Escape grow a couple of inches wider, swallowing Edge’s sales and adding more room than competitors have.....consider Bronco Sport is a small C subcompact, so why not Escape as a small D compact?

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

The issue goes back to the 2020 Escape’s underwhelming sales even before covid hit, there was already a problem with the pricing and trim mix that seemed to be objectionable to the market or was akirby right about better competition?

To be honest, I think it’s a bit of everything with Ford trying to reposition Escape as more premium but also discovering that most competitors were doing the same.....so maybe hard for Escape to stand out from the pack?

As an aside, I would love to see Escape grow a couple of inches wider, swallowing Edge’s sales and adding more room than competitors have.....consider Bronco Sport is a small C subcompact, so why not Escape as a small D compact?

I think both.  And I also think they went too far toward the cheap side - at least in appearance - on the interior, which then didn't stack up well against new competitors.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I think both.  And I also think they went too far toward the cheap side - at least in appearance - on the interior, which then didn't stack up well against new competitors.

Ford plan B: a new grille and all is forgiven?

52 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

The new face of Chinese ford suvs (equator and evos) would look pretty good on the escape.

The new face actually started with Escape. Ford Taiwan sells both versions... the original Euro style ST-line and the one with Chinese market front face. Both look much more upscale than the US market Escape.

1591851955863.imgs.full.high.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

The new face actually started with Escape. Ford Taiwan sells both versions... the original Euro style ST-line and the one with Chinese market front face. Both look much more upscale than the US market Escape.

It’s slightly better but still misses the styling Mark, it needs a grille more like Chinese Territory or even Explorer like.

4 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Ford plan B: a new grille and all is forgiven?

That certainly wouldn't hurt.  I think it needs some interior enhancements, though.

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

Yeah, the Euro face is far better than ours.  The Chinese one, I'm not big on it - it almost looks too oversized, the newer version on other applications looks good.

Edited by rmc523

17 hours ago, rmc523 said:

With refresh, I think you will see new front nose clip, new door cards, and some other tweaks. I would add more standard equipment like fog lights and auto dimming mirror on SE like competition. Also some attractive contrast stitching on the dashboard and seats like the competition. Mostly minor, but effective at drawing attention and lowering incentives.

Ford was having issues with the Escape in the pervious generation-the 2019MY was decontented to help make it more profitable. 

the Escape has suffered from pricing issues since 2013 and content creep since then. My Wife’s 2017 Escape SE has more features then my parents old 2013 Titanium had on it and was $5k cheaper. 

28 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Ford was having issues with the Escape in the pervious generation-the 2019MY was decontented to help make it more profitable. 

the Escape has suffered from pricing issues since 2013 and content creep since then. My Wife’s 2017 Escape SE has more features then my parents old 2013 Titanium had on it and was $5k cheaper. 

You can see the hit that was coming for Escape, more standard /compulsory equipment  and higher prices up to 2017 caused a nosing over of sales as the C1 Escape aged, then Hackett thought that  it was a good idea to increase profit by decontenting. All at a time when GM  was a spooling up the Mexican built compact Equinox and Toyota committed two plants to RAV4. Ford basically set Escape up to fail against new and fresh competition.

One of the hallmarks of twenty-teen Ford’s was the expansive rolling out of copilot 360 under Fields, it’s ironic that the very thing that gave Ford Edge over the competition was then seen as dragging down profit, much the same way that Ford whined about Fusion build flexibility (33,000 possible ways).

Instead of embracing diversity and leading edge technology, Hackett saw most of it as unnecessary, save for his pet projects that amounted to little more than red ink.

Edited by jpd80

17 hours ago, bzcat said:

I think both of those are better, but neither go far enough. They need to switch back to the more traditional look of the headlights being next to the grille and not above it. This also squares off the front end a bit and makes it look less like a car. The evos grille is very similar in shape, but in my opinion it looks 10x better. 2021-ford-evos-cn.webp

3 hours ago, T-dubz said:

I think both of those are better, but neither go far enough. They need to switch back to the more traditional look of the headlights being next to the grille and not above it. This also squares off the front end a bit and makes it look less like a car. The evos grille is very similar in shape, but in my opinion it looks 10x better. 2021-ford-evos-cn.webp

The Evos style is the best of those three, although the other two are pretty good looking.   It seems like the Evos style would not be terribly difficult to apply to the Escape. 

Evos was styled from the beginning with this grille so it looks good with it.

The original Escape/Kuga grille didn't do very well with Chinese consumer focus group so there was a last minute restyle. That's when Ford basically borrowed the Evos and Equator grille shape that was already in development and grafted onto Kuga. But they couldn't change the location of the headlights because that was already locked in the design. 

We'll see how much leash Farley will give the designers on the Escape/Kuga mid cycle update. Given how important the model is now, I hope Ford actually make some styling changes rather than mailing it in Mark Fields style. 

44 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Evos was styled from the beginning with this grille so it looks good with it.

The original Escape/Kuga grille didn't do very well with Chinese consumer focus group so there was a last minute restyle. That's when Ford basically borrowed the Evos and Equator grille shape that was already in development and grafted onto Kuga. But they couldn't change the location of the headlights because that was already locked in the design. 

We'll see how much leash Farley will give the designers on the Escape/Kuga mid cycle update. Given how important the model is now, I hope Ford actually make some styling changes rather than mailing it in Mark Fields style. 

It was actually hard for fields to introduce a new nose on the kinetic styled Euro Fords,

the guppy mouth was just so different to the original grille, it didn’t really match the 

rest of the styling.