All Electric Ford F-150 Lightning to be revealed on May 19 at 930 pm ET

I for one will be curious if Ford once again limits this to the upper equipment levels.....which would be a mistake IMO as Municipalities and the like will be all over this. We have a Fleet meeting  June 17 which will be going over this truck and the Electric Transit....which leads me to believe it WILL be avail in Commercial variants.

1 hour ago, Deanh said:

man after my own heart...I LOVE stick shifts....I have a Bronco 2 dr reserved with said trans...dying breed unfortunately.

Talk about low sales numbers. Few vehicles move enough manuals to make it worthwhile. For the 2018 Mustang the A10 made it a no brainer to check the A10 box. On a 2017, I would've ordered the manual.

4 hours ago, Deanh said:

I for one will be curious if Ford once again limits this to the upper equipment levels.....which would be a mistake IMO as Municipalities and the like will be all over this. We have a Fleet meeting  June 17 which will be going over this truck and the Electric Transit....which leads me to believe it WILL be avail in Commercial variants.

Well, the Powerboost is available on all trim / equipment levels, so hopefully that's another sign.

10 hours ago, ice-capades said:

It's still a bit premature to speculate about pricing on the F-150 Lightning. 

Thank you ice-capades sir, I agree it's too early to make any educated guesses on pricing. One thing that I'm confident about is that Ford will price BEV F-150 appropriately as they respond to pent up demand for premium grade, high performing electric pickup trucks.

21 hours ago, LSchicago said:

Talk about low sales numbers. Few vehicles move enough manuals to make it worthwhile. For the 2018 Mustang the A10 made it a no brainer to check the A10 box. On a 2017, I would've ordered the manual.

yep...but there's still a lot that enjoy sticks...several manufacturers walked away only to bring Manuals back...Porsche for one....

I just bought a low miles 2019 Mustang Bullitt specifically because it’s a stick and sounds amazing, as it’s been 15 years since I owned a stick. I see the new car market changing very fast in the near future so I wanted to enjoy some “old school” driving while still being near new, and the Bullitt edition really is amazing! Plus its understated good looks suits my middle age style more than a GT or SHELBY! Lol 

• Like 3

I am brand new to the Ford F150 world and I am excited to be a part of it. Anxiously waiting for my truck to come in. This Lightning looks unreal with the LED across the top of the hood. Anyone else here skeptical of the first edition of an electric truck? I wonder what types of incentives they will offer. I assume the F150 enthusiasts will be a little hesitant.  On the other hand, I am sure the speed of this thing might be enticing enough. Maybe the marketing will be more around the speed of the truck like the previous generation Lightning. 

My guess that incentives on the Lightning will be non-existent.  There's enough of an electric push to make the first real full-size all-electric truck sell without the need for incentives...at least for the first year or so.  My guess is that this will also be much more than just an F-150 with an electric powertrain.  See the teaser photos with different body panels makes me think we are in for quite a treat on the 19th. Different interior too?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

My guess that incentives on the Lightning will be non-existent.  There's enough of an electric push to make the first real full-size all-electric truck sell without the need for incentives...at least for the first year or so.  My guess is that this will also be much more than just an F-150 with an electric powertrain.  See the teaser photos with different body panels makes me think we are in for quite a treat on the 19th. Different interior too?

The incentives will be offered by taxpayers through federal tax credits. With the MME and now F-150 Lightening, I wonder many more Ford vehicles will be eligible for the tax credits?

On 5/10/2021 at 6:49 PM, ausrutherford said:

Lightning, Raptor, Mustang, Thunderbolt, Thunderbird, Corsair, Warthog...

Ford loves their planes! ?

They could build a three armature motor for Class 7-8 and call it the Tri Motor!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

With the MME and now F-150 Lightening, I wonder many more Ford vehicles will be eligible for the tax credits?

According to AFDC data, through the end of 2019 Ford sold 119,985 plug-in vehicles that qualified for federal tax credit. Alternative Fuels Data Center: Maps and Data - U.S. HEV Sales by Model (energy.gov)

I don't have data for 2020, anyone know how many qualified plug-in vehicles Ford sold that year? The Ford press release says 3 Mach-E were sold in 2020 :), but doesn't give the number for Fusion Energi. My guess is about 5,000. Then add 8,565 Mach-E sold in January - April 2021. Plus a small number of PHEV Lincoln Aviator GTs since that model was introduced. Ford probably has about 60,000 qualified plug-in vehicles it can sell before the 200,000 threshold is reached.

The current rule with federal tax credit is "when a manufacturer sells its 200,000th qualified vehicle, the tax credit is scheduled to wind down, reducing by half to $3,750 and then half again over a period of time before being reduced to nothing." There are proposals in Congress to increase the number to 600,000 new cars, convert the tax credit to a rebate provided to the customer at the point of sale, and offer customers up to a $2,500 rebate for pre-owned BEV at least 2 years old and under $25,000 sales price.

Edited by rperez817

Ford will get to 2023CY when the reductions start. They are at over 126,000 now. The delay in the PIH Escape and PIH Corsair along with the chip shortage for the MACH-E and vehicle productions has pushed that date back. If Ford is close they will do what Tesla/GM did and hold back delivers slightly at the end of a quarter then ship them all right as the new quarter starts.

The credit begins to phase out for vehicles at the beginning of the second calendar quarter after the manufacturer has sold 200,000 eligible plug-in electric vehicles (i.e., plug-in hybrids and EVs) in the United States as counted from January 1, 2010. IRS will announce when a manufacturer exceeds this production figure and will announce the subsequent phase out schedule .

IRC 30D – Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit Quarterly Sales | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov)

There are 2 competing ideas right now in Washington, one is to raise it to 500/600K per group but the another is all vehicles though 2025/6. Then you're not giving companies late to the party a huge advantage late in the decade. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Anthony said:

Spy pictures indicate the Lightning appears to be getting the revised Expy's dash with the Mach E's vertical screen.

10 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Borg posted this at GMI with no info as to where it came from:

img_2898-jpg.63652

Is the screen of a big truck (you can see the picture of the vehicle at the top of the screen). Of course, the screen is large, very large.  Is the Lightning interior. 

I'm going to assume that Ford is going to have multiple levels of the Lightning or will it be just the Halo/Sport model of the F-150 BEV?

I'd assume that Ford would have a model they could sell to fleets and what not that would be in the $50-60K range and the Lightning itself would be the stupid fast/long range Super Truck.  

On 5/11/2021 at 3:22 AM, SteelyD said:

They still are cool.  The F-22 Lightning, F-35 Raptor, and A-10 Thunderbolt are still  defending our country. 

F-22 Raptor, F-35 Lightning II

The P-38 was the original Lightning

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I'm going to assume that Ford is going to have multiple levels of the Lightning or will it be just the Halo/Sport model of the F-150 BEV?

I'd assume that Ford would have a model they could sell to fleets and what not that would be in the $50-60K range and the Lightning itself would be the stupid fast/long range Super Truck.  

I hope it is not a halo model a la the Hummer.  If they really want to see widespread adoption of their electric portfolio, they need the price to be somewhat in the ballpark of their ICE counterparts and not only have ridiculously appointed models be electrified...

16 minutes ago, Anthony said:

I hope it is not a halo model a la the Hummer.  If they really want to see widespread adoption of their electric portfolio, they need the price to be somewhat in the ballpark of their ICE counterparts and not only have ridiculously appointed models be electrified...

Exactly and it seems like they've been indicating they are going that way, but using the Lightning name gives me a bit of a pause. Maybe they are launching the godzilla model next Spring and the "work" model will launch after that.