All Electric Ford F-150 Lightning to be revealed on May 19 at 930 pm ET

I was watching the event and was surprised to see the truck back there.  I was expecting more differentiation from the standard F150, but that doesn’t appear to be the case.  I’m still excited to see the details though. 

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

2. The chassis looks a ladder frame similar  to (maybe same as?) regular F-150, not a skateboard like setup like Rivian or Hummer.

I would guess that Ford will argue that truck buyers want a frame for toughness, work sites, towing, etc. - "truck things". Hummer will argue the opposite.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

I would guess that Ford will argue that truck buyers want a frame for toughness, work sites, towing, etc. - "truck things". Hummer will argue the opposite.

Exactly... I'm sure this truck will do "truck things" very well since it is a real truck. It's clear that Ford is building something intended for the masses not just hedge fund bros that need a Section 179 deduction. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure why some expected and F-150 to not look like an F-150 lol.

It appears to have unique fenders, hood, grille, headlights, bumper, and we saw from other photos a unique bed/taillights and at least a unique dash inside (I could see either unique or the same door cards).

Edited by rmc523

1 hour ago, Harley Lover said:

I think I would go with Ford’s position on this, considering their leadership in trucks all these years.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moosetang said:

I still really don't like the front clip on this generation F-150, but the Lightning definitely looks better than the non-Raptor gas trucks.

The current generation isn’t one of my favorites.  I consider it  to be just ok.  Some grill styles are certainly better than others though.  It was a bit too evolutionary for my taste, but it certainly wouldn’t prevent me from buying one.  The interior is a really nice upgrade though.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bzcat said:

Exactly... I'm sure this truck will do "truck things" very well since it is a real truck. It's clear that Ford is building something intended for the masses not just hedge fund bros that need a Section 179 deduction. 

"not just hedge fund bros that need a Section 179 deduction." A great turn of phrase! I might pilfer that for use in other contexts! ;)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

Is there a cost advantage or disadvantage to the manufacturer for developing a frame based chassis for BEV pickup truck versus skateboard?

42 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Is there a cost advantage or disadvantage to the manufacturer for developing a frame based chassis for BEV pickup truck versus skateboard?

In this case it would probably behove Ford to bite the bullet and do both. It helps the trucks keep their credibility as trucks and they still have a skateboard chassis for everything else. If those trucks sell in high enough numbers and/or they can scale it up/down enough to use for Ranger or SD or even a 150/250 tweener it should be able to make its money back in short order. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

In this case it would probably behove Ford to bite the bullet and do both. It helps the trucks keep their credibility as trucks and they still have a skateboard chassis for everything else. If those trucks sell in high enough numbers and/or they can scale it up/down enough to use for Ranger or SD or even a 150/250 tweener it should be able to make its money back in short order. 

Thank you fuzzymoomoo sir, I was thinking the same thing. Appreciate you confirming the "do both" approach can be beneficial financially for Ford.

3 hours ago, rperez817 said:

This snippet from the April 27th Autoline Daily suggests that the next-gen BEV F-150 may be built on something other than the body-on-frame  like the current F-150.

Go to the 5:07 mark.

http://www.autoline.tv/daily/?m=202104&cat=789

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Skateboard chassis is a body-on-frame design. So if you already have a body-on-frame, you just need to put battery in the middle, which appears to be what Ford is doing based on that one photo making the rounds.

Edited by bzcat
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

This snippet from the April 27th Autoline Daily suggests that the next-gen BEV F-150 may be built on something other than the body-on-frame  like the current F-150.

Go to the 5:07 mark.

http://www.autoline.tv/daily/?m=202104&cat=789

We already know that's not the case based on what was posted yesterday. It is definitely a body-on-frame and by that I mean a traditional ladder frame.

Nevermind the video is referring to the next gen not the one coming out today. 

Edited by bzcat
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Skateboard chassis is a body-on-frame design. So if you already have a body-on-frame, you just need to put battery in the middle, which appears to be what Ford is doing based on that one photo making the rounds.

I thought the difference was with the F150 the frame is supporting everything but with a skateboard the batteries are actually part of the chassis.

19 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I'm not sure why some expected and F-150 to not look like an F-150 lol.

It appears to have unique fenders, hood, grille, headlights, bumper, and we saw from other photos a unique bed/taillights and at least a unique dash inside (I could see either unique or the same door cards).

Looks like the front bumper is molded into the body like a Cuv/sedan. I like that Ford didn't go the Hummer route creating a $100,000+ vehicle with 1,000 hp for show and very few possible customers. Instead a truck customer who embraces the advantages of electric.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

I thought the difference was with the F150 the frame is supporting everything but with a skateboard the batteries are actually part of the chassis.

I feel like you would want to isolate the battery for protection and durability in a truck application, but I’m no engineer.  

• Like 1