All Electric Ford F-150 Lightning to be revealed on May 19 at 930 pm ET

12 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Or it gives them PLENTY of room to improve it down the road. It's impressive to start with for sure. 

Well no one should limit a product just to give themselves room to improve. 

But yes, plenty of room to improve.

14 minutes ago, akirby said:

Why do people assume that what gets announced today is all they’ll ever have?

I don't think anyone is thinking this is all the Lightning will EVER be, but I personally expected a wider range of offering at announcement. 

And I don't think anyone is losing their mind because of what isn't being offered yet. We're just having conversation about a product we're interested in... Good bad or indifferent.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Willwll313wll said:

I don't think anyone is thinking this is all the Lightning will EVER be, but I personally expected a wider range of offering at announcement. 

And I don't think anyone is losing their mind because of what isn't being offered yet. We're just having conversation about a product we're interested in... Good bad or indifferent.

Keep in mind the source right now is Borg.  He often has good info, but just as often has bad info.  So it's possible there's more to it than what he posted.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, tbone said:

The current generation isn’t one of my favorites.  I consider it  to be just ok.  Some grill styles are certainly better than others though.  It was a bit too evolutionary for my taste, but it certainly wouldn’t prevent me from buying one.  The interior is a really nice upgrade though.  

Sadly, its not just the grills which bug me. The way the bumper/lower valence is high in the middle and droopy on the sides just irritates the hell out of me. The design puts the visual weight in all the wrong places, and fails to cohere with the rest of the front end. Last generation didn't have this problem, Ranger doesn't have this problem, Raptor and Bronco both look great, I don't know how the F-150 got cursed with it.

Agreed on the interior, though, very nice.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, akirby said:

I hadn’t considered this before but I think this would work well for me.  I never drive more than 200 miles in a day.  But it would have to be a supercab.

refresh my memory, why?  The 5.5' SCrew is the same OAL as the 6.5' SCab.  If they offered the 5.5' SCab, then it would be a foot shorter.  I thought you went with a SCab due to length?

HRG

10 minutes ago, Deanh said:

you need to pump those regenerative brakes a tad there rperez….lol....I sincerely doubt that even though it is 14 years away...but hey, you never know.

Thank you Deanh sir :) But it's not me setting the pace here, but Ford Motor Company itself along with regulatory agencies that have accelerated the transition to BEV. Plus, the BEV pickup truck market is going to be extremely competitive, much more than for ICE powered pickups.

Examples.

• Ford announced its light vehicle lineup will be 100% electric vehicles in Europe by 2030. For commercial vehicles, that figure will be 67%. It's very likely that the other regions where Ford does business will eventually adopt a similar set of goals.
  • California implemented a plan to phase out the sale of new ICE powered cars and light trucks in the state by 2035. For commercial vehicles, California regulations will require a transition to ZEV starting in 2024, with a 2045 deadline to have 100% ZEV. Similar regulations will be adopted by other governments globally.
  • Partial list of BEV pickup trucks (other than F-150 Lightning) that have already been announced for expected production within the next 3 years.
    • GMC Hummer EV
    • Chevrolet Silverado EV
    • Tesla Cybertruck
    • Rivian R1T
    • Bollinger B2
    • Nikola Badger
    • Lordstown Endurance
    • Hercules Alpha
    • Atlis XT

Ford knows very well that BEV and pickup trucks represent the hottest vehicle categories right now. Combining the 2 into a capable, well-designed product, as Ford is doing with F-150 Lightning, is a huge deal. Ford knows just how essential F-150 Lightning is to the company's whole future. I'm confident that as the debut happens 2 hours from now, we'll get confirmation that Ford is playing to win.

55 minutes ago, Willwll313wll said:

I'm not trying to imply that's what happened here. It's just another way of looking at it. I'm sure they gave it the best they can with what the development time and budget allowed. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I'm not trying to imply that's what happened here. It's just another way of looking at it. I'm sure they gave it the best they can with what the development time and budget allowed. 

Yeah agreed! And I'm sure it''ll be a great product. 

• Like 1

Not a fan of the grill...its following the stupid No grill look that an BEV is "supposed" to have. 

Grills on cars/trucks are a huge part of overall styling. Some BEVs give me the same look at seeing someone with no eyebrows or something. 

Overall impressed with the pricing and specs. Range could be better, but not bad at all.

Wonder how much it weighs. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bzcat said:

I think we are now into splitting hair and definition ?

I was referring to the the concept that skateboard chassis operates just like a frame in that it can be a self-contained unit that has different top hat on it.

The skateboard itself can't be the weight bearing structure so something has to go around it. You can wrap a unibody structure around it or a frame around it. Ford's probably not going to wrap a unibody around the next gen F-150 skateboard so it will need a frame. 

See for example Hyundai's skateboard... noticed the frame around it?

hyundai-canoo-ev-platform.jpg

Full perimeter frame....like a panther.  Ford’s skateboard could be the ePanther platform.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HotRunrGuy said:

refresh my memory, why?  The 5.5' SCrew is the same OAL as the 6.5' SCab.  If they offered the 5.5' SCab, then it would be a foot shorter.  I thought you went with a SCab due to length?

HRG

Because I need the extra bed length to haul lumber.  5.5’ is just too short.  And a 6.5’ Crewcab won’t fit in the garage.

I also think the supercabs look way better.

Edited by akirby

2 hours ago, Willwll313wll said:

I’m saying that Ford may not announce all the models and features tonight.  There is still a long time before job 1.

Its also reasonable to get a brand new vehicle out the door with the basics and add more models and features later.  Not for marketing necessarily but so you have extra time for engineering, testing and tuning and so you do t delay getting the basic model out the door.  Mach-e GT is a good example.

6 minutes ago, akirby said:

I’m saying that Ford may not announce all the models and features tonight.  There is still a long time before job 1.

Its also reasonable to get a brand new vehicle out the door with the basics and add more models and features later.  Not for marketing necessarily but so you have extra time for engineering, testing and tuning and so you do t delay getting the basic model out the door.  Mach-e GT is a good example.

Ah, great point. 

11 minutes ago, akirby said:

Because I need the extra bed length to haul lumber.  5.5’ is just too short.  And a 6.5’ Crewcab won’t fit in the garage.

I also think the supercabs look way better.

You could get a tent to park it in.?

The supercab 6.5’ bed has a nice balanced look to it.  The regular cab with an 8’ bed doesn’t look good at all.  The old pre ‘97 regular cab long beds looked fine, though.  

• Like 2

As battery technology improves, Ford can add more range.  The battery pack weighs close to a ton by itself.  That cuts into payload if Ford wants to keep it under 8500lbs GVWR.  Range vs payload.  If Borg’s hp and torque numbers are correct, they are really good.  I was expecting lower numbers on a base model.  It could also be part of the reason the range numbers are low.

I wonder what the range will be towing 10000lbs.  Can’t wait to see the Ike gauntlet runs for the battery drain numbers.  It will have no problem pulling the weight at 60mph.

6 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I'm impressed that its starting at 40K...I'd like to see what they are offering with it at that price point. 

I doubt if it has 4WD, 600+hp, and 700 pounds of torque plus 300 mile range. But starting price of $40,000 is impressive and competitors will have trouble meeting that price point. Figure base Lightning will have 200 mile range, 2WD, 400 pounds of torque, and 350 hp.