All Electric Ford F-150 Lightning to be revealed on May 19 at 930 pm ET

18 minutes ago, falconlover 1 said:

Car and Driver being Car and Driver. No matter how good is a Ford vehicle. No matter how good is a Ford feature in their vehicles. Car and Driver say that is not enough good for them.   Ford designed the 1st electric truck that cover the traditional truck buyer needs and much more. With revolutionary features and capabilities.  A truck that will put the EV at the center of the American market. But a Car and Driver guy think Ford missed the opportunity to made a race track ready truck, with low suspension and 0 to 60 in 2 sec.   Maybe Ford will make in the near future a sport truck based on the Lightning to please Car and Driver. But now, the news are this truck. The first electric truck for the masses.    But that is not enough for Car and Driver and their biased journalists.  

They have the Dodge Boys for the boy racer crowd. Clouds of smoke and giving the finger out the window. 

18 minutes ago, Anthony said:

How can they say 4.5 seconds 0-60 in a FULL-SIZE pickup is not performance-oriented?  

I swear, some people just want to complain about anything.

I was once a passenger in a Porsche Turbo S that does 0-60 in about 2.7 seconds. I got pushed back so hard that I couldn't breath. Not a comfortable feeling. These insane acceleration times are getting out of hand for non professional racing drivers. 

On 5/18/2021 at 7:46 AM, sullynd said:

https://www.onlineev.com/biden-to-pitch-his-174-bln-electric-vehicle-plan-in-michigan/?fbclid=IwAR3u2u3fKwws3urNPPRP67zIrMJxOH-8TEKOxLnYSGA9gZ5Mk9ksFx-Ggl4

Biden touring today and doing press conference, likely with new incentives (interesting as some have suggested they may be for US production only). Guess they’ll have the Lightning under wraps? Can’t imagine they’ll spoil tomorrow’s reveal. Too bad they couldn’t get him to wait a couple days. 

President Biden's tour of Ford Rouge Electric Vehicle Center and test drive of F-150 Lightning inspired him to consider electrifying the White House vehicle fleet, including the Presidential limo.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Ford claims they got 20,000 reservations within 12 hours. Wonder how many Lightnings can be made in 1 year at the new plant? Maybe 50,000? Looks like many more orders coming.

From Automotive News:

"Wolfe Research analyst Rod Lache, in an investor note Thursday, estimated Lightning production would be limited to 80,000 pickups per year, based on capacity data from parts plants that supply the truck."

https://www.autonews.com/executives/ford-limit-f-150-lightning-output-20k-reservations-booked?utm_source=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20210520&utm_content=hero-readmore

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bzcat said:

So you are ok with $5 a gallon gas that was fracked or extracted in the US? Because that's probably what gas extracted in the US should cost without various subsidies and removed legal liabilities for environmental clean up cost. The US is a large oil producer because of the tax subsidies. Without which, domestic producers cannot compete with Saudi Arabia. 

We accept that there is an economic incentive for the US Govt to subsidize gasoline extraction and production in the US. Just like there is an economic incentive for US Govt to subsidize EV production and adoption in the US. The Govt subsidizes all kinds of things and industries. Why single out EV subsidy, which is both insignificant but yet proved to be very effective? Like you said... Tesla is selling very well without them, which means the previous tax incentive clearly worked as intended. 

We spend a lot more every year subsidizing corn than EV. Let's put this in perspective. 

BTW, I think it is very reasonable to limit any new EV subsidy to vehicles and/or battery packs produced in the US only. We don't need to subsidize Chinese battery or German labor. If Ford wants to take advantage of the credit, bring the midsize EV back to Ohio... fair and square. 

Please list the “various subsidies” you are referring too. Also, please point out the corn subsidies you mentioned.

Got my reservation in, glad I have a half year to figure out what configuration.  Right now it is just basic with extended range battery to use as a local everyday work truck.  I normally don't drive more than 100 miles in a day so it will fit well in my driveway.  I have an Aviator GT for long trips, so adding a dual charger is easy (already on a dedicated 50A circuit).  The question will be how much luxury I want to pamper myself with for just local use and what comes on the basic model. 

The biggest question I have is the technology behind the whole house generator.  My current generator requires a transfer switch between the metered circuit and the house to prevent back feeding the line when they are working on it.  It is 150ft to my ATS from the garage charging station, hopefully they provision for a control wire.  #8 copper aint cheap any more.  Probable the biggest complaint people will have is the $$ to put in an ATS.  

22 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

I actually had some friends over with some drinks to watch it...I think everyone was shocked at $39K for starting price but we figured the norm would be $70k+.  Bill did a good job, Linda was a bit nervous but did well, but personally... I was wondering what issues Jim had.. Either the pants were too tight (totally off the mark), or he doesn't know how to walk graciously on stage, oh he's bow-legged, but something was off with him.

Jim talks in the same manor as his famous cousin. Short jabs are good, but their speech pattern is not built for long sentences. 

29 minutes ago, mustangchief said:

Probable the biggest complaint people will have is the $$ to put in an ATS.  

Heck, for the 100amp circuit they are talking about, you're probably looking at #2, at $2ft/conductor,,,,  I ended-up using #6 for the 60amp 75' run I had, to add a 240V outlet in my garage.

HRG

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Heck, for the 100amp circuit they are talking about, you're probably looking at #2, at $2ft/conductor,,,,  I ended-up using #6 for the 60amp 75' run I had, to add a 240V outlet in my garage.

HRG

Or use aluminum service run.  That’s what the electricians around here use unless you want to pay more.  2-2-2-4 at a $1.5 per foot.  Or step up to 1/0-1/0-1/0-2 for $2.5 and support 125A in the future.

might as well get the transfer switch and break out the loads you want backed up when having a charger installed.  At least Ford and GM are going the mobile power wall route.  It won’t be long and others will join.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tbone said:

Enjoy this speculation by C&D:

“We Bet F-150 Lightning's Range Is under 100 Miles when Towing at the Max“

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/amp36481590/ford-f150-lightning-range-towing/

Quite possibly close to 50 miles, depending on trailer aerodynamics, terrain, and speed.  Take epa highway, divided by Ike gauntlet mpg the divide range by that and you’re right around 50 miles = 300/(24/4).  I’m interested to see how much range the Ike gauntlet requires.  The downhill portion could significantly recharge the battery.  Provided the system doesn’t overheat and battery current needs to be limited.

10 hours ago, bzcat said:

First, you can't do math ? 3 x 400,000 x 7,500 = $9  billion, not 3 trillion. $9 billion over a decade is a drop in the bucket to the Federal Govt. We spent multiple times that every year subsidizing the oil industry.

Second, there is nothing wrong with UG Govt using tax incentives to encourage a positive outcome. That's good Govt policy. 

Third, if you are going to act like a simpleton and not think critically about what this little tiny tax break can mean to a whole industry, then you should apply the same standards to every industry. The oil industry is already well established, and yet we pile state and federal subsidies to fracking industry, exempting or limit its mitigation liabilities. If people claim to be supporting the fossil fuel technology, they should be prepared to pay for it. 

Not to mention that we've spent several trillion dollars on wars in the Middle East, mostly to keep the oil flowing...

• Like 1

The lightning is using SK’s 9-1/2-1/2 NMC cathode pouch cells mfg in Commerce,GA: http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20200810000683

Seem to be leading edge delivering better energy density and faster charging than the 8-1-1 cells.  Also, they are lower cost due to the lower cobalt content.  I couldn’t find any additional info on the cell specifications.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

People have collectively lost their minds...

On street drag racing is a major safety issue in many states. It's out of control in many areas. Guess you buy a 700hp Charger and hit the local service drive and You Tube it. Many are pushing 1,000 hp. Lots of people are going to get hurt. 

11 hours ago, slemke said:

Quite possibly close to 50 miles, depending on trailer aerodynamics, terrain, and speed.  Take epa highway, divided by Ike gauntlet mpg the divide range by that and you’re right around 50 miles = 300/(24/4).  I’m interested to see how much range the Ike gauntlet requires.  The downhill portion could significantly recharge the battery.  Provided the system doesn’t overheat and battery current needs to be limited.

How about real cold temps in winter? There goes more loss of range. Still think battery range needs to improve more to 400+ miles or more to make BEV only vehicle needed plus faster charging times. 

• Like 1