Why Is it I can’t get an answer?

I am trying to get some information about the HVC in Brownstown and I see tons of views but no answers? 

I’m curious about the work environment? 
how much time does it take for any shift changes? Lateral movement? 

Do people love/hate it? I’m trying to decide if leaving a job I have seniority at is worth it to start over? Please if anyone could help me I would really appreciate it. If you’re not comfortable replying on here I will leave my email and it can stay private. Dawnwencel@yahoo.com

ok Dawnmarie, I have never worked in a HVC but I`ve worked at CAP for a few weeks and I can let you know what close friends that worked and lost their jobs when the Indy`s HVC closed. These transferees have both said and told time and time again to us at CAP the work was fantastic and less physical than the production line.

With that said I`m not sure Ford is reactivating the HVC process. I do know CAP is and has been trying to hire a big herd of production line employee`s. But "trying" is the key word. There are a large number of "I" wanna work for Ford people that sit through orientation and get sent to the floor just to say "I" have to do that? Or leave for lunch and never return. 

The HVC transferee`s had the choice of coming to CAP or I think a small amount of cash to sign up for severance of employment. 

Now if your a fire fighter, para medic or support member at a fire station, you are doing very important work and are very needed but if you`ve never had to do manufacturing work you will be made aware of the production work realities.  

By the way the total number of people who do or did work at a HVC is very very small so maybe these members don`t want to get involved with making a life changing decision. 

I do find it a little hard to understand wanting to quick and not transfer to a different station. Then have you looked into the hourly rate for a new hire and do you understand all the benefits you won`t have when you chose the HVC?   Then I`m just wondering about who you might be?      Good luck DawnMarie

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the response! I really do appreciate it. The place I work for has some issues that I’m not quite sure are going to be resolved. I’ve been involved in public safety for half my life and unfortunately the “important” work we do doesn’t leave us with much come retirement. This isn’t something I’m taking lightly. This is why I’m trying to do some research before I make the switch. Once again thank you so much for your response. 

8 hours ago, Dawnmarie933 said:

Thanks for the response! I really do appreciate it. The place I work for has some issues that I’m not quite sure are going to be resolved. I’ve been involved in public safety for half my life and unfortunately the “important” work we do doesn’t leave us with much come retirement. This isn’t something I’m taking lightly. This is why I’m trying to do some research before I make the switch. Once again thank you so much for your response. 

If retiring is a key factor, I`m not sure moving to any auto manufacturing employment will give much different security than most other employment. A defined or dedicated annuity fund based retirement benefit is a thing of the past. It`s been a few contracts ago that the 401K and tax efficient savings funds have taken the place of a monthly retirement benefit check. Then of course the negotiator/representative organization in the auto industry took over all retiree`s healthcare benefits. Are these changes positive or negative in the retiree`s secure feeling with their benefits? Some say yes. Some say no.   

• 1 month later...

I suppose i can answer this since no one else from an hvc has. After 20 years in the body shop at Wixom Assembly Plant i transferred to the hvc in southern California and can verify what Decker says about it being “less physical” even “fantastic”. Especially since im on a hi-lo now.  You will not get burnt by sparks everyday Lol! So there’s the answer to your work environment question. However i may never have transferred had i known there is no day shift. Really. I was told to start at 5pm and figured i’d bump to days. Lol! 33 years seniority and i’m stuck on nights unless i transfer back to an assembly or parts plant, which you could do. Not sure if that’s the “lateral” move you inquired about but Ford has plants back east working 6am-2:30pm. That’s early but geting off early is worth it. The hvc shift does change periodically. Like 2pm-10:30pm, but the closest to a dayshift we had was 10:30am -7pm.

So this is a shipping and receiving job. Ya unload automotive parts into the warehouse and ya pick parts to ship out to the Ford Dealerships. Some parts are light and small so it’s like grocery shopping while others are big and heavy like tires and axels. Management tries to make ya keep up with their 20 minute cycle times, which is how long they’d like it to take to pick and spread an order, but contractually they can’t enforce a production standard. But if you’re behind they can write ya up for going to break early or talking to much. I believe ya start at about $15 or so and takes a few years to get to full pay of about $31 ( these aren’t exact #z ) And yes somehow we lost pensions for anyone hired after 2007.  I truly don’t believe any of us would have voted for that and still have no idea how that happened, but you wont get a company paid pension here anymore. You will get good health benefits. Plus we work plenty of holidays, voluntarily, which are tripletime days or you can convert em to use at a later time. As to your question “do people love/hate it” my reply would be: depends on the person. Happiness is a state of mind. You will find both here and everywhere. Look closer to see are they positive or negative?  Are they a good worker or lazy because these things are directly connected. If you’re thinking this is a union job so i won’t have to work then you’ll always be behind and feel pressured. I have always kicked the jobs ass instead of letting the job kick mine. Well you wanted some answers and didn’t give up so i hope these help. If you choose to join us i believe you will be happy! GOD Bless the UAW and Ford Motor Company!

• Like 2