Dearborn Shutdown?

9 hours ago, John Hopkinson said:

Has Ford ever confirmed or denied the report that the Dearborn plant will be shut down the weeks of May 17th and 24th?  I saw some actual Ford employees were disputing that claim.

From the Ford Authority site a few days ago, the Dearborn Truck Plant will be down both weeks.

https://fordauthority.com/2021/05/ford-dearborn-truck-plant-will-shut-down-for-two-additional-weeks/

Ford hasn't been providing dealerships with any information on plant down time due to the microchip shortage. dealers find out from the media reports!

I'm curious about this too.  I read the comment section from that Ford Authority article and everyone that works at Dearborn that posted says they are working.  My truck is scheduled for next week and my tracker went to "In Production" today so that's positive.  I hope they stay open.  I have read that there is a planned closing the week of the 31st for maintenance. 

1 hour ago, id_birdhntr said:

I'm curious about this too.  I read the comment section from that Ford Authority article and everyone that works at Dearborn that posted says they are working.  My truck is scheduled for next week and my tracker went to "In Production" today so that's positive.  I hope they stay open.  I have read that there is a planned closing the week of the 31st for maintenance. 

If the information comes from someone that actually works at DTP that's fine. The problem is that Ford is providing absolutely no information on plant status with its Dealers!

5 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Probably not a good look, to have DTP shut down the week of the 17th, while Pres Biden is next door at the BEV Center.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2021/05/11/joe-biden-michigan-visit-ford-f-150-lightning/5034628001/

HRG

That's assuming he'd even notice or be aware! And if asked about it, he won't answer anyway!

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

24 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Probably not a good look, to have DTP shut down the week of the 17th, while Pres Biden is next door at the BEV Center.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2021/05/11/joe-biden-michigan-visit-ford-f-150-lightning/5034628001/

HRG

They did it in 2015 when Obama came to MAP. We were in the middle of a 2 week layoff when that happened. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

If the information comes from someone that actually works at DTP that's fine. The problem is that Ford is providing absolutely no information on plant status with its Dealers!

Probably because it's a very fluid situation so they don't want to say too much and have to walk it back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, muse3115 said:

DTP will run full production week of May 17th. Then week of May 24th down to one shift, with B and C crews laid off. They’re claiming for “maintenance” but I think it’s more chip related 

As hard as they run that plant I could believe either one, honestly. 

2 hours ago, muse3115 said:

DTP will run full production week of May 17th. Then week of May 24th down to one shift, with B and C crews laid off. They’re claiming for “maintenance” but I think it’s more chip related 

Wonder if Dearborn will take that down time to work on those incomplete vehicles parked in those outside lots?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gregg Tonkin said:

Wonder if Dearborn will take that down time to work on those incomplete vehicles parked in those outside lots?

I’m sure they’ll use the time to catch up, but they’re using a 3rd party to finish them. No UAW workers from DTP have been offered OT to finish them. Can confirm though that for the last two weeks every truck has been shipped complete to dealerships. 

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

As hard as they run that plant I could believe either one, honestly. 

True, from what I understand, it’s to prepare for Raptor and Tremor launch, which are both still on track. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2021 at 12:52 PM, HotRunrGuy said:

HRG

The Secret Service would probably be happier with the plant shut down and the parking lot emptied. It makes their job that much easier.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, muse3115 said:

I’m sure they’ll use the time to catch up, but they’re using a 3rd party to finish them. No UAW workers from DTP have been offered OT to finish them. Can confirm though that for the last two weeks every truck has been shipped complete to dealerships. 

True, from what I understand, it’s to prepare for Raptor and Tremor launch, which are both still on track. 

Thanks for providing us with great insight. Out of respect for your notifications, I'll simply ask one question; Based on how Ford has completed trucks for the past two weeks, do you know/think this is an indicator that Ford is trying to limit the amount of trucks waiting for chips after they've been built? A DTP employee on that Ford Authority article referenced in this thread stated that the May 24th shutdown week has nothing to do with chips. Thanks for your response in advance!

9 hours ago, muse3115 said:

Thanks so much for that info. Are they using the 3rd party contractors full time or just as their inventory allows them too? 

Do you know if they have some type of priority they are following or is it just random?

13 hours ago, succeed23 said:

Thanks for providing us with great insight. Out of respect for your notifications, I'll simply ask one question; Based on how Ford has completed trucks for the past two weeks, do you know/think this is an indicator that Ford is trying to limit the amount of trucks waiting for chips after they've been built? A DTP employee on that Ford Authority article referenced in this thread stated that the May 24th shutdown week has nothing to do with chips. Thanks for your response in advance!

That’s my assumption, with all the other plants down, it seems they’ve been re allocating chips for modules to complete F-150’s off the line. This down week/weeks will allow some time to catch-up on those ones sitting. 

5 hours ago, Gregg Tonkin said:

Thanks so much for that info. Are they using the 3rd party contractors full time or just as their inventory allows them too? 

Do you know if they have some type of priority they are following or is it just random?

Unfortunately I don’t have any insight into Ford’s process of completing the trucks. I do know there are A LOT. Some numbers floating around are close to 50k. 

18 hours ago, Gregg Tonkin said:

Yeah, it would make sense to shut down production for 6-8 weeks and use those chips and plant workers to complete the many thousands of vehicles sitting in lots. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, muse3115 said:

That directly contradicts what I have been told by Ford's "Executive Offices".  I think that most people in the forums know more about what is going on in the company than they do.  "The information I received was that they are prioritizing retail orders as the parts become available."  "They are not bypassing built orders to build units currently on the line."  Complete lines of PR BS.

On 5/14/2021 at 10:52 AM, HotRunrGuy said:

Or maybe that's exactly the look they want to give, so that the federal government diverts more resources to get US chipmaking off the ground / auto makers.

11 hours ago, N2Wind said:

That directly contradicts what I have been told by Ford's "Executive Offices".  I think that most people in the forums know more about what is going on in the company than they do.  "The information I received was that they are prioritizing retail orders as the parts become available."  "They are not bypassing built orders to build units currently on the line."  Complete lines of PR BS.

Of course that is BS, we can all point out similar units at dealerships with a later build date that than those sitting incomplete. It is far more economical to install parts on the line as intended than give it to some outside contractor, drive to some obscure lot, find that vehicle, install the part, and drive back. Not sure who they are trying to kid.

It does seem logical though, instead of using outside contractors, use their own employees who might be laid off for the week. Using 3rd party contractors could mean it will be Christmas of 2025 before they get the mess cleaned up!

19 hours ago, muse3115 said:

That’s my assumption, with all the other plants down, it seems they’ve been re allocating chips for modules to complete F-150’s off the line. This down week/weeks will allow some time to catch-up on those ones sitting. 

Unfortunately I don’t have any insight into Ford’s process of completing the trucks. I do know there are A LOT. Some numbers floating around are close to 50k. 

It’s the same shit going on up here at OAC. We have 11,000 Edge/Nautilus packed around the plant. We were down for 4 weeks during that time they took parts  out of the units parked around the plant and are putting them into the units we are building now. The units we are building now are shipping. Word is we will only be back til May 28th then down til July at least.  I knew we would have lots of downtime as ford has to process those f series sitting around Michigan and in Kentucky. I’m just wondering what the process will be to get all of these vehicles of these lots. OT for us,Third party?? This year has been a big SHITSHOW so far in this industry! 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Yeah, it would make sense to shut down production for 6-8 weeks and use those chips and plant workers to complete the many thousands of vehicles sitting in lots. 

Actually it wouldn't....shutting the plant down screws up the supply chain. Ford isn't going to stockpile parts (they get taxed on it) til the rest of the supply chain catches up. If Ford isn't going to order x widget for the F-series, that company is going to build something else for someone else (sort of the result of the chip shortage we are having now) instead. Not to mention the sub pay and other things that would be done for the workers

I might be completely wrong, but Ford is building F-series now since they are expecting chips to come in for them in the next few weeks. Any further building of the F-series will be slowed down til the chip shortage is alleviated (if it can be in a short period of time) and raised as stock levels improve on them.

Oacjay is most likely going to get the shaft til 2024, the Edge and Nautilus are older products that aren't in demand and they are "easy" for Ford make a decision to cut back on them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Actually it wouldn't....shutting the plant down screws up the supply chain. Ford isn't going to stockpile parts (they get taxed on it) til the rest of the supply chain catches up. If Ford isn't going to order x widget for the F-series, that company is going to build something else for someone else (sort of the result of the chip shortage we are having now) instead. Not to mention the sub pay and other things that would be done for the workers

I might be completely wrong, but Ford is building F-series now since they are expecting chips to come in for them in the next few weeks. Any further building of the F-series will be slowed down til the chip shortage is alleviated (if it can be in a short period of time) and raised as stock levels improve on them.

Oacjay is most likely going to get the shaft til 2024, the Edge and Nautilus are older products that aren't in demand and they are "easy" for Ford make a decision to cut back on them. 

Yup I totally agree, even without covid shutdowns and this semi conductor mess we still would’ve had down weeks just not this much!  We’ve discussed this before and everyone knows the Edge/Nautilus situation. Fords gotta get them trucks to the dealers not sitting in parking lots and with the new products being launched we are OAC know we’re facing lots more on and off work to come. The market dictates  what happens but with no major redesign we know how that goes.