Why Isn't Ford.com current for 2022?

As a retired employee of a major aerospace company, I'm dumbfounded that Ford management isn't able to even manage having a current version of Ford.com that can be used to build a 2022 vehicle.  This trivial software revision is probably one that an entry level programmer could update in a few days.  Ford management seems to be missing in action on this subject.  Management isn't that hard.  Just tell your employees to get it done!

I think there is fair criticism that can be levied at Ford for a lot of things, but I don't think Ford has historically opened up there website this early for the next year's model. Having said that, I do agree that they should step up the quality of the services on their website. The Ford order tracker is horrible. Canadians can't look up the status of their vehicles, and Americans can't get accurate information from the tracker. Tesla provides buyers with better tracking information, so an American staple surely should be able to do the same.

What Ford has historically done in the past doesn't really apply to the current situation.  Before he moved to Ford, Alan Mullaly coined a phrase when he was at Boeing called a "paradigm shift".  So just since Ford hasn't historically opened up the Ford.com until later in the year really has no bearing to the current situation.  You cannot order a 2021 Ford anymore.  There's long threads on this website of people trying to track or order 2022 Fords.  Ford needs to adjust to this reality.  People are managing to order buy Fords in spite of the lack of help from Ford itself.  Ford management needs a Paradigm shift.    

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, coolaqua said:

What Ford has historically done in the past doesn't really apply to the current situation.  Before he moved to Ford, Alan Mullaly coined a phrase when he was at Boeing called a "paradigm shift".  So just since Ford hasn't historically opened up the Ford.com until later in the year really has no bearing to the current situation.  You cannot order a 2021 Ford anymore.  There's long threads on this website of people trying to track or order 2022 Fords.  Ford needs to adjust to this reality.  People are managing to order buy Fords in spite of the lack of help from Ford itself.  Ford management needs a Paradigm shift.    

That's news to me that 2021 can't be ordered. Historical context matters, so I don't get your point. I'm aware that Ford gas stopped pulling orders, but I know folks that have ordered trucks as recently as last week. How recent are you talking about with regard to people not being able to order 2021s?

Edited by succeed23

52 minutes ago, coolaqua said:

There's long threads on this website of people trying to track or order 2022 Fords.  

No there isn't.

There are currently 0 plants building 2022s right  now. Hell, the way things are going with this chip shortage we can barely build 2021s. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/14/2021 at 9:48 PM, coolaqua said:

There's no such thing as "later in the year".  Every vehicle has it's own schedule.  Some debut in January or March or June or December.   You can't order directly from Ford anyway and the dealers have all the ordering information, so it doesn't stop anyone from placing an order.   The order guides are available here.

What Ford doesn't want to do is advertise the new models while there are a lot of previous models still on dealer lots.   That's reality.

You're also overestimating the number of folks that special order a brand new model year vehicle  before it hits dealers.  That's a tiny tiny percentage (not counting Bronco and Mach-E).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

IMO if 21 production ends soon, 22MY build and price tools should be available. It was aggravating having to rely on a salesman's word of what was available, compatible, etc...when I could have done my own hw in advance.

Edited by Bluezilla

15 minutes ago, Bluezilla said:

IMO if 21 production ends soon, 22MY build and price tools should be available. It was aggravating having to rely on a salesman's word of what was available, compatible, etc...when I could have done my own hw in advance.

The order guides are the definitive source of that information and they are posted here usually as soon as the order banks open.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

This is the first time we've actually ordered a vehicle, so all of this is new to me.  Usually, we've simply gone to the dealership and were able to find what we wanted.  This time around, I wanted to order an Aviator BL exactly the way the wife wanted it...which was basically "with everything AND the kitchen sink"....lol  But, since the first thing she does is make sure a .45 will fit in the console, I'm not going to argue with her! 

It IS aggravating to sit back and watch zero progress/updates on our order....placed August 5th and have the VIN # - but that's it.  No kind of hint/guidance as to when it'll get built, etc.  The last word we got from our dealer was that it was scheduled to be built October 25th - IF that date holds, can anyone venture a guess as to when we can look for delivery?  We're trying to plan a trip out to NV, AZ and NM once it arrives, and I'm just trying to figure out if we'll be able to get it in before the snows hit, or if we should wait until early spring.

19 minutes ago, TexasRedneck said:

This is the first time we've actually ordered a vehicle, so all of this is new to me.  Usually, we've simply gone to the dealership and were able to find what we wanted.  This time around, I wanted to order an Aviator BL exactly the way the wife wanted it...which was basically "with everything AND the kitchen sink"....lol  But, since the first thing she does is make sure a .45 will fit in the console, I'm not going to argue with her! 

It IS aggravating to sit back and watch zero progress/updates on our order....placed August 5th and have the VIN # - but that's it.  No kind of hint/guidance as to when it'll get built, etc.  The last word we got from our dealer was that it was scheduled to be built October 25th - IF that date holds, can anyone venture a guess as to when we can look for delivery?  We're trying to plan a trip out to NV, AZ and NM once it arrives, and I'm just trying to figure out if we'll be able to get it in before the snows hit, or if we should wait until early spring.

All automakers are suffering from the microchip crisis.  It has actually gotten worse in the past few weeks as several companies based in Viet Nam and Malaysia have shut down due to COVID because of their government orders.  The more technology your vehicle has the more microchips it takes.  The automakers have no control over this situation.

Your dealer can provide you with your order number and your VIN.  You can track your vehicle on https://shop.lincoln.com/vehicle-order-tracking#  It's not 100% accurate but is close.  Once the window sticker is available, you can look at the top of it.  There will be a blend date that starts with a 1 followed by the year, month and day.  I have a Corsair Grand Touring on order since July 5.  My window sticker became available last week.  My blend date is 120210922.  The blend date is when all parts are scheduled for assembly.

Good luck!

26 minutes ago, RedHoncho01 said:

All automakers are suffering from the microchip crisis.  It has actually gotten worse in the past few weeks as several companies based in Viet Nam and Malaysia have shut down due to COVID because of their government orders.  The more technology your vehicle has the more microchips it takes.  The automakers have no control over this situation.

Your dealer can provide you with your order number and your VIN.  You can track your vehicle on https://shop.lincoln.com/vehicle-order-tracking#  It's not 100% accurate but is close.  Once the window sticker is available, you can look at the top of it.  There will be a blend date that starts with a 1 followed by the year, month and day.  I have a Corsair Grand Touring on order since July 5.  My window sticker became available last week.  My blend date is 120210922.  The blend date is when all parts are scheduled for assembly.

Good luck!

Thanks.  I certainly didn't intend to come off as complaining...just somewhat disappointed.  Having said that, I certainly understand the situation with thSe chip shortage - I own a small business (water softeners sales & repair), and have purposely gone back to analog-style controllers for that very reason.  What I get from the order tracking system is:

Ordered: 8/5/2021
Order Number: 2231
VIN: 5LM5J9XC3NGL05068

We ordered ours the last week of July, and knew there'd be a delay on it showing up as ordered.  Still no window sticker or blend date, so we're pretty much in limbo.  Then again, every month they delay it is a month closer to being able to write a check for most of the car purchase, so that's okay.  We're trading in her '20 Aviator RII w/under 9k miles, so there's not going to be a huge $$ gap anyway.  It'd have more miles on it if it hadn't sat waiting for parts at various times for a cumulative total of over 5 months....lol  We're not mad about it - I knew better than to order a first-year model vehicle, but the wife fell in love w/it, so it is what it is.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TexasRedneck said:

Thanks.  I certainly didn't intend to come off as complaining...just somewhat disappointed.  Having said that, I certainly understand the situation with thSe chip shortage - I own a small business (water softeners sales & repair), and have purposely gone back to analog-style controllers for that very reason.  What I get from the order tracking system is:

Ordered: 8/5/2021
Order Number: 2231
VIN: 5LM5J9XC3NGL05068

We ordered ours the last week of July, and knew there'd be a delay on it showing up as ordered.  Still no window sticker or blend date, so we're pretty much in limbo.  Then again, every month they delay it is a month closer to being able to write a check for most of the car purchase, so that's okay.  We're trading in her '20 Aviator RII w/under 9k miles, so there's not going to be a huge $$ gap anyway.  It'd have more miles on it if it hadn't sat waiting for parts at various times for a cumulative total of over 5 months....lol  We're not mad about it - I knew better than to order a first-year model vehicle, but the wife fell in love w/it, so it is what it is.

Yeah, this chip crisis has hit just about every business but the automakers are being hit the hardest.  IHS predicts the automakers won't see any relief until 2023.

One plus is used car values are very high.  I bought a used CPO 2019 Lincoln Nautilus in March 2020.  It is worth what I paid for it as a trade in with nearly 12,000 more miles on it.  

FYI, you picked a nice ride.  I know you will enjoy it once you get it.

28 minutes ago, RedHoncho01 said:

Yeah, this chip crisis has hit just about every business but the automakers are being hit the hardest.  IHS predicts the automakers won't see any relief until 2023.

One plus is used car values are very high.  I bought a used CPO 2019 Lincoln Nautilus in March 2020.  It is worth what I paid for it as a trade in with nearly 12,000 more miles on it.  

FYI, you picked a nice ride.  I know you will enjoy it once you get it.

Thanks - I'm sure we will!  And yeah - the chip situation is driving everyone nuts right now.  I can't imagine the nightmares that the auto makers are going through, though - I think we've all seen the satellite pictures of the Ford trucks parked at the holding area!  And you're right on the used car values - they're talking TI a bit over the purchase price on our 2020.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Maybe May was a bit early but it is now the end of October and ford.com still doesn't let you build out a 22 (for most models).  I ordered a 22 Ranger and it is scheduled for the week of 1/3.  You cannot go into a dealer and order a 21 but that is all that the website shows.  

10 minutes ago, jwillum said:

Maybe May was a bit early but it is now the end of October and ford.com still doesn't let you build out a 22 (for most models).  I ordered a 22 Ranger and it is scheduled for the week of 1/3.  You cannot go into a dealer and order a 21 but that is all that the website shows.  

Ford is usually very late to convert the build configurator to the new Model Year. Pre-COVID, they'd wait until enough of the previous year's inventory was sold but there's little excuse now with the low inventory situation and Ford encouraging customers to place factory orders. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Ford is usually very late to convert the build configurator to the new Model Year. Pre-COVID, they'd wait until enough of the previous year's inventory was sold but there's little excuse now with the low inventory situation and Ford encouraging customers to place factory orders. 

Yes, I went off of the order guide you had posted to help decide on what I wanted.  Thank you for that!

• Like 1

In Canada Ford advertised $1500 off on 2022 Explorer factory orders. My buddy and I each ordered one but using the info for a 2021 on the Ford site for build and order. No provision for 2022 build on line. Like Ice said the dealer had info for X and A plan pricing and thanks Ice for the 22 order guide and info on expedited orders optioning start stop delete. Fingers crossed for the estimated Nov 8 build dates and 15th & 22nd delivery dates.

Edited by ohsown

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...