Lincoln quality control who is in charge ?

Yes sir Clinton77, Lincoln was the lowest rated brand in the most recent Consumer Reports automotive reliability survey. The launch of 2020 Aviator in particular was an epic disaster.

image.png

I think Ford & Lincoln management were genuinely embarrassed at just how bad things got with Lincoln product quality last year and have taken actions to remediate.

To answer your question, the people directly in charge of Ford and Lincoln product quality are Chris Brewer (Executive Director, Quality) and Ron Johnson (Product Launch Manager).

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

QC of Ford and Lincoln is all factory specific and or engineering specific.  I am on my 3rd Lincoln MKX/ Nautilus built at the Oakville plant and each one I have not had any more than oil changes .  Total quiet and serine just as Lincoln is advertising today not a single rattle , nothing.  My lease is up this winter and I will automatically order a 2022.  I was going to get a 2021 Aviator, as it is a beautiful vehicle.  My dealer told me not to bother if I enjoy what I am driving , he said to many issues ongoing, even with the later builds. 

• Like 2

I'm going to run right down and kiss my June 2019 built Nautilus Reserve. Absolutely no problems (with the exception to check seat wiring recall) only in to Star Lincoln for every six month maintenance.  Twenty two months and twelve thousand five hundred miles and this is the best of the three MKX/Nautilus I've owned. 

• Like 2

I am on my 5th consecutive Lincoln, all bought (or leased) new, with the first one a 2007 model bought in summer 2007 and the last one a 2019 model bought in late 2018.

My last vehicle (2016 MKC, leased) was generally a real pleasure but it did have a very annoying squeak coming from the front speakers mounted on the dash.  I could press down on the speaker grille and make the squeaking stop, but the squeaking would resume at the next bump as soon as I stopped pressing down on the speaker grille.  Very annoying.

My current vehicle (2019 MKZ Hybrid, purchased just before Christmas in December 2018) has been an absolute pleasure and, save for the occasional hiccup with the Sync 3 system, has been completely trouble-free in the almost two and one-half years I've had it.  I have had not a single problem with it (knock on wood).

To be fair, the 2019 model of the MKZ is essentially the same, mechanically (with some improvements), as the first year of this version of the MKZ (launched in 2013), thus Lincoln has had several years to "work the bugs out of" this version of the MKZ.

Except for the fact that Lincoln quit making the MKZ (and except for the fact that I always want something different for my next vehicle and never get the exact same model consecutively), I would absolutely consider buying a new MKZ-Hybrid in 2022 or 2023 because of my satisfaction and trouble-free experience with my 2019 MKZ-H.

This only deepens my disappointment in reading about the problems other customers are having with their new Lincolns (Aviators, especially, but the Nautilus seems to be having reliability problems, too).

Lincoln really is on to something in its current designs:  They're beautiful, quiet, and luxurious vehicles that are well-executed but, Lincoln really must get a handle on and fix its reliability issues.  I won't have and I won't buy an unreliable vehicle.  C'mon, Lincoln, step up.  You've got great vehicle designs and we're on your side, but you simply must fix your reliability issues.

Edited by 1984Poke
  • Like 2

On 5/18/2021 at 6:42 PM, RickinLA said:

I'm going to run right down and kiss my June 2019 built Nautilus Reserve. Absolutely no problems (with the exception to check seat wiring recall) only in to Star Lincoln for every six month maintenance.  Twenty two months and twelve thousand five hundred miles and this is the best of the three MKX/Nautilus I've owned. 

On 5/18/2021 at 7:28 AM, escapeman said:

QC of Ford and Lincoln is all factory specific and or engineering specific.  I am on my 3rd Lincoln MKX/ Nautilus built at the Oakville plant and each one I have not had any more than oil changes .  Total quiet and serine just as Lincoln is advertising today not a single rattle , nothing.  My lease is up this winter and I will automatically order a 2022.  I was going to get a 2021 Aviator, as it is a beautiful vehicle.  My dealer told me not to bother if I enjoy what I am driving , he said to many issues ongoing, even with the later builds. 

I feel the same about mine, it's been a great car so far. A major factor in the decision process was that it was assembled in Oakville. I like to spend my money close to home when possible.

I intend to keep this one until I'm ready to transition to BEV. That will be at least 10 years from now.

• Like 3

Just as A Kirby has said.  The Lincoln QC issue seems to be an Aviator issue.  A friend of mine is on his second MKC/ Corsair.  Just as myself with my Nautilus and others here on this site, nothing more than oil changes required.  The cars are built with pride and engineered the same.  Seems to be a Chicago plant issue.  And we have read about that here before. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, SzymekSmack said:

This thread makes me nervous about my order, but then again, usually people who have issues with their car are the ones posting here. Fingers crossed that the build quality and reliability is improving. 

If the Lincoln vehicle you ordered is a model in its 2nd or later model year, it's more likely that the vehicle will have good build quality and reliability compared to getting one in its 1st model year.

Good luck with the Lincoln you ordered SzymekSmark sir!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

We have a 2020 Aviator.  I knew better than to buy a 1st model year car, but the better half fell in love with it - and given my hobby of gun collecting, I try to keep momma happy....lol

It's been in the shop for the 4th time w/various sensor issues, and smoke from the tailpipe periodically.  Our SA knows we've got a BL Aviator on order, so he was setting it up to return it to us late this week...until I asked him about the smoke issue - pointing out that it's most likely a defective turbo.  He mumbled something about it'd "be okay for a few weeks" - until I reminded him that the oil has poisoned the cat convertors, so I expected both the turbo system to be repaired AND the cat's to be replaced.  We shall see...........

Don't really regret the purchase - momma loves the car, so no big deal.

• Like 2

Thinking back, we had a lot of problems with our 2011 MKX w/MyLincolnTouch...almost all of them were related to electronics, not all failed under warranty, and it went through batteries like no one's business .  So far, our 2021 Aviator has had only one issue with Sync where sometimes there would be  a black screen and the GPS would show current location on the Home Screen, but could not be programmed.  When it was delivered back to us, the paperwork shows "corrected" with a reset.  Basically I wait for the wife to complain about things, you know, like they're all MY fault.  So far, she has not mentioned the problems I've been reading about on the Internet (knock on wood). Meanwhile, our 2019 Expedition has been flawless (also knock on wood).

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Going_Going_Gone said:

Thinking back, we had a lot of problems with our 2011 MKX w/MyLincolnTouch...almost all of them were related to electronics, not all failed under warranty, and it went through batteries like no one's business .  So far, our 2021 Aviator has had only one issue with Sync where sometimes there would be  a black screen and the GPS would show current location on the Home Screen, but could not be programmed.  When it was delivered back to us, the paperwork shows "corrected" with a reset.  Basically I wait for the wife to complain about things, you know, like they're all MY fault.  So far, she has not mentioned the problems I've been reading about on the Internet (knock on wood). Meanwhile, our 2019 Expedition has been flawless (also knock on wood).

2011 was a terrible year for edge and mkx.  MFT and MLT were nowhere near ready with far too many bugs but Ford did not have a backup plan so they just tried to fix it quickly which didn’t work either.  

• Like 2

On 8/19/2021 at 5:08 PM, rperez817 said:

If the Lincoln vehicle you ordered is a model in its 2nd or later model year, it's more likely that the vehicle will have good build quality and reliability compared to getting one in its 1st model year.

Good luck with the Lincoln you ordered SzymekSmark sir!

I haven't had any issues with my 21 Aviator yet. Sync gets a little wacky at times and I have to restart my phone every time I want to listen to Pandora. That may be a phone issue though. I did receive a recall notice for the battery harness issue I still need to have taken care of.

7 hours ago, MKX1960 said:

Sync gets a little wacky at times and I have to restart my phone every time I want to listen to Pandora. That may be a phone issue though.

I had the same issue on my 2017 MKC and it seems to be rearing its ugly head on my new Corsair as well..same thing, have to restart the phone to get Pandora working on the system...did not have that issue with my 2011 MKX that had MyLincolnTouch....

• 1 month later...

No major issues with our 2021 Aviator - only some infotainment quirks.  One time Pandora will show up as an audio source and the next time it won't.  Always connecting to the same phone via bluetooth regardless of who is driving is beyond annoying because it is cumbersome to change phones.  Overall its the nicest car we have ever owned and we get comments from people all the time.  As a GM guy, Lincoln is eating Cadillac for lunch.

• Like 1