Light at the end of the chip shortage.....hope this is true....

10 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

Paint contamination is a given here-yes my vehicles are parked in a garage. And once a year they get the clay bar treatment by me. There is absolutely no way the paint surface will not have contamination. Saying other wise is naïve at best.

Do you park in a garage when you go out on errands? When you travel at all? 

If it's inevitable then why are you complaining?

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

9 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

My vehicles receive a clay bar once a year-and a paint treatment every six months.. And my errands don't entail parking in a lot for a better part of a year.

Edited by CKNSLS

30 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

If it's inevitable then why are you complaining?

So others reading this board and contemplating a purchase can ask the dealer for the proper paint treatment BEFORE TAKING DELIVERY.

47 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

This has to be one of the silliest comments I have ever read on an auto forum.....

Do you have small cracks around your garage door? Most garage doors do. Mice don't need much space and then get into your engine bay. Grass seed ditto. I see a garage as protecting your vehicle from the elements, but not small, furry animals that seek warmth up there in the north and have to naw all their short lives. Back up in MI, my wife's car had mice camping out in her air filter during the winter months. I parked my vehicle outside and never saw signs of mice. A carport did the job nicely keeping  frost off the windows.

31 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Pretty sure anyone else reading this board is aware it's not 1972 anymore and paint technology has come a long way since then. 

Every new vehicle I have purchased in the past 20 years had a need for paint correction.  Vehicles sitting out in some random lot for months will certainly require the same (rain, sun, dust, and environmental pollutants will cause damage to paint).  Not to mention,  all of those Broncos stuck in “dirt mountain”.  That’s almost laughable at this point considering the reports of leaking hard tops on the Broncos that have been delivered to customers.  I wouldn’t take delivery of any vehicle sitting in a lot for months, but that’s my choice.  Do what you wish, some folks are OCD (me) about the appearance of their vehicles.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

Every new vehicle I have purchased in the past 20 years had a need for paint correction.  Vehicles sitting out in some random lot for months will certainly require the same (rain, sun, dust, and environmental pollutants will cause damage to paint).  Not to mention,  all of those Broncos stuck in “dirt mountain”.  That’s almost laughable at this point considering the reports of leaking hard tops on the Broncos that have been delivered to customers.  I wouldn’t take delivery of any vehicle sitting in a lot for months, but that’s my choice.  Do what you wish, some folks are OCD (me) about the appearance of their vehicles.  

Yep-lots of lack of knowledge on this subject and no first hand experience.  These vehicles will be much worse than those sitting on a dealer's lot for 60 or 90 days in regards to contamination on the clearcoat.. As a matter of fact-it would be real interesting to track warranty costs (of course we will never know) from the trucks on the  "rot lots"-once they are delivered to customers.

Edited by CKNSLS

17 minutes ago, akirby said:

Rodents are a real concern but most vehicles stay outside 24x7 anyway so paint concerns are overblown.

For some, paint concerns are not overblown.  “Most” vehicles that sit outside 24x7 are owned by folks who don’t give a damn about the condition of the paint.  I, on the other hand, do care and will continue to avoid purchasing any vehicle that has been sitting on a random lot for months and months.  Your opinion may differ, but let’s not downplay the damage done to these vehicles (Ford and others) rotting on random lots.  Especially those Broncos with leaky hard tops.  

35 minutes ago, akirby said:

Rodents are a real concern but most vehicles stay outside 24x7 anyway so paint concerns are overblown.

When you drag your finger tips over clear coat and it feels like sand paper-and these trucks clearly will need paint correction, it's not over blown. Nor-is it over blown to expect a paint job to last the life of the vehicle when you are dropping $50,000 to $80,000 on a truck. 

What is over blown is the minimizing of issues both real (paint) and the potential of issues (rodents, etc.) on these vehicles sitting for months in storage.

Edited by CKNSLS

15 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

For some, paint concerns are not overblown.  “Most” vehicles that sit outside 24x7 are owned by folks who don’t give a damn about the condition of the paint.  I, on the other hand, do care and will continue to avoid purchasing any vehicle that has been sitting on a random lot for months and months.  Your opinion may differ, but let’s not downplay the damage done to these vehicles (Ford and others) rotting on random lots.  Especially those Broncos with leaky hard tops.  

So what about that car you pick up from the dealer lot? Do you go around and specifically pick one that was delivered in the last 3-5 days? I doubt it. 

10 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

When you drag your finger tips over clear coat and it feels like sand paper-and these trucks clearly will need paint correction, it's not over blown. Nor-is it over blown to expect a paint job to last the life of the vehicle when you are dropping $50,000 to $80,000 on a truck. 

What is over blown is the minimizing of issues both real (paint) and the potential of issues (rodents, etc.) on these vehicles sitting for months in storage.

Nobody is minimizing anything. You’re the one acting like everything that has been built and sitting around needs to hit the crusher. 

So what about that car you pick up from the dealer lot? Do you go around and specifically pick one that was delivered in the last 3-5 days? I doubt it. 

Nope.  Vehicles sitting on a dealer lot is much different than sitting at a random lot (such as dirt mountain, KY motor speedway, etc).  Dealers actually “wash/clean” and move vehicles around the lot quite frequently.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Nobody is minimizing anything. You’re the one acting like everything that has been built and sitting around needs to hit the crusher. 

You must of missed the last third of this thread if you feel there is no down playing issues. And I never said they should be crushed.

8 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

Nope.  Vehicles sitting on a dealer lot is much different than sitting at a random lot (such as dirt mountain, KY motor speedway, etc).  Dealers actually “wash/clean” and move vehicles around the lot quite frequently.  

Yes- dealers spray off dust- keeping contamination at a minimum.

That’s exactly what you are doing.  Minimizing the fact that these vehicles will incur paint damage.  Not to mention the unknowns (rodents, tire rot/flat spotting, interior fade, water intrusion).  Did I say anything about the vehicles rotting on random lots needing to be crushed?  I’ll answer that for you..No.  I said I care about the appearance of my vehicles and will not be purchasing a vehicle sitting on a random lot for months.  Don’t get me wrong, some folks likely won’t give a damn, but I do. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

So Ford according to their Dealer Meeting they just had -said they are NOT sending stored vehicles out to their dealers as of right now.  They know they have  potential problems on many levels

That has nothing to do with it.  They’re going to wait until the chips are installed rather than have the dealers install the modules later.  They’re still going to ship them at some point.

Something big happened this week....Mullinax all of a sudden has over 1300 in inventory. Granted, most are in transit, but the have VIN numbers. Over 100 Escapes, and over 400 F-150's. It's like a huge fever just broke. I wonder if other high volume Ford dealers got huge shipments or hundreds of VIN numbers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Something big happened this week....Mullinax all of a sudden has over 1300 in inventory. Granted, most are in transit, but the have VIN numbers. Over 100 Escapes, and over 400 F-150's. It's like a huge fever just broke. I wonder if other high volume Ford dealers got huge shipments or hundreds of VIN numbers.

They are getting chips, it just takes time to get things done,  the world is certainly not ending….