F150 Lightning Range

succeed23

I'm surprised that the all electric F150 only has a max 300 mile range. As fast as that truck is, and the weight folks tow/haul, the range is certainly going to decrease. I've heard that EV owners have "range anxiety", and I can't imagine how much one would need to charge going on road trip. I would expect 300 to be available for the lowest model, but we'll see how they improve range over time. Overall, it's a awesome truck. What do you guys think?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, succeed23 said:

I'm surprised that the all electric F150 only has a max 300 mile range. As fast as that truck is, and the weight folks tow/haul, the range is certainly going to decrease. I've heard that EV owners have "range anxiety", and I can't imagine how much one would need to charge going on road trip. I would expect 300 to be available for the lowest model, but we'll see how they improve range over time. Overall, it's a awesome truck. What do you guys think?

My thoughts exactly. With my truck order status in limbo,  I was watching the reveal and giving putting $100 down some thought But by the time you put cargo and passengers or God forbid a trailer behind that thing you'd be stopping and charging way too often for my taste. And that 300 is probably going to be more like 200 or 250 real world I'm sure, especially on highway. I also spend a lot of time on dirt roads and hunting land. I know that off-road is a huge battery drain to EVs too.

AND I don't think we've even heard how much more $ that long range battery is going to be either have we?

I tried to get into it... but Just too new/ too much for me yet.

Edited by Rondalon

On 5/20/2021 at 7:00 PM, Rondalon said:

My thoughts exactly. With my truck order status in limbo,  I was watching the reveal and giving putting $100 down some thought But by the time you put cargo and passengers or God forbid a trailer behind that thing you'd be stopping and charging way too often for my taste. And that 300 is probably going to be more like 200 or 250 real world I'm sure, especially on highway. I also spend a lot of time on dirt roads and hunting land. I know that off-road is a huge battery drain to EVs too.

AND I don't think we've even heard how much more $ that long range battery is going to be either have we?

I tried to get into it... but Just too new/ too much for me yet.

I think it's a great start, and likely going to be a great truck for those that only plan to use it for short trips. I can't imagine using a 300 range truck that will take a hit in range based on speed and load for a road trip. Folks on cold weather areas will have to deal with a greater hit in range. I'm looking forward to seeing how this truck progresses over the years. It's also WAY better than the Rivian. Have you seen the price they're going to ask for that UGLY thing? ?

Edited by succeed23
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, speedingtones said:

I can't imagine myself buying an electric-powered truck. 

What do EV makers need to work on to get you comfortable with the idea of an all electric truck? I bet range, so that means improvements in battery technology. What else?

58 minutes ago, succeed23 said:

What do EV makers need to work on to get you comfortable with the idea of an all electric truck? I bet range, so that means improvements in battery technology. What else?

Probably the same thing that a lot of truck fans complain about now with the V6 engines.  Lack of that deep throaty V8 exhaust note.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, akirby said:

Probably the same thing that a lot of truck fans complain about now with the V6 engines.  Lack of that deep throaty V8 exhaust note.

That would be cool. EV makers have to have the vehicles make some noise for the safety of pedestrians. Maybe it would be possible to switch out that low humming sound EVs are known for with an optional upgrade to that V8 rumble folks crave. Considering that the sound would be fake, EV makers would have to work on the sound. I guess that's possible.

On 5/27/2021 at 8:49 PM, succeed23 said:

Other than the battery range, personally, nothing beats the power of a conventional fuel-powered truck. I guess I am just old-fashioned when it comes to my vehicles. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, speedingtones said:

Other than the battery range, personally, nothing beats the power of a conventional fuel-powered truck. I guess I am just old-fashioned when it comes to my vehicles. 

EVs certainly don't lack in power. You likely want what akirby was referring to; THAT beefy rumble. It'll be interesting to see how EV trucks are going to be years from now.

Almost all the company vehicles I've driven over the years have had a driving range of 300-350 miles. I'm not referring to any vehicles equipped with an optional, extended range gas tank. That being said, the real issue with BEV's is more the charging time and available infrastructure and not the driving range. If the infrastructure was available and you could recharge your BEV quickly the driving range would never be an issue.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Almost all the company vehicles I've driven over the years have had a driving range of 300-350 miles. I'm not referring to any vehicles equipped with an optional, extended range gas tank. That being said, the real issue with BEV's is more the charging time and available infrastructure and not the driving range. If the infrastructure was available and you could recharge your BEV quickly the driving range would never be an issue.  

Solid state batteries will address the charging times and range, but the issue with the current battery technology is that cold weather reduces the range. You likely were getting 300-350 miles on a combustible engine, but no way anyone is going to get 300 on a truck when you factor in towing, long idle times on job sites, and of course the weather. 300 range on an EV truck may actually end up being less than 200. I see wide adoption of EV increasing as the battery technology improves; which should improve range and charge time.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

While the EPA range may be around 300 miles, I have an acquaintance in Detroit that is a 3rd party contractor for Ford.  He has been driving a test Lightning Truck for a few months, he is averaging just  over 500 miles per charge.  If that turns out to be a real world number, it makes the truck a lot more attractive.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was excited when they announced the Lightning & seriously considered it but have to admit the range was one concern. Until the EV charging infrasturcture gets more established & widespread I expect others might be somewhat reluctant as well. I ended up opting for the F150 Powerboost for now.   

• 2 months later...

I actually had some interest in the lightning, but as some have mentioned, came to the conclusion that it is better suited for short trips.  I plotted out the optimal range with the existing Tesla charging infrastructure and came up w/ some holes on a recent road trip route.  Also, I don't believe Tesla is sharing access to is charging infrastructure (yet--surely a $$ could be made.). I still like the idea, just not a fit for me right now.

Personally, I think Ford isn’t targeting the outdoor market right now. I’d have a major concerns being backwoods with an EV. They’re target has to be mall crawlers and city use (including commercial users). The hybrid is much more appealing to me for a combination use without range issues far from civilization. Question is: when do we start seeing hybrid super duties? 

1 hour ago, Forddaddy said:

Personally, I think Ford isn’t targeting the outdoor market right now. I’d have a major concerns being backwoods with an EV. They’re target has to be mall crawlers and city use (including commercial users). The hybrid is much more appealing to me for a combination use without range issues far from civilization. Question is: when do we start seeing hybrid super duties? 

Serious off-roaders trailer their vehicles.  If you had a Powerboost F150 you could use it to recharge.

• 1 month later...

What if Ford built an all wheel drive all electric Maverick set up for “Overlanding” that came with a matching off road trailer set up for off grid living complete with solar panels and an auxiliary battery pack of it’s own that could interface with the pulling vehicle and effectively double it’s range?

I’m talking about using an off the shelf battery pack to keep expenses low.

If done properly the whole thing could be made affordable and really open up possibilities. 

Can you imagine camping in a spot for a couple days and actually gaining energy from a solar array or a small portable hydro electric generator placed in a river or even capturing heat energy from a campfire?

The possibilities are only limited by imagination and I’d like Ford to become the leader in this category. 

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure why range is such a big deal. If you're driving 300+ miles per day or go on frequent road trips throughout the year, then it's may not be right for you. But for most people that can plug in and charge while sleeping and maybe even have chargers at their places of work, it shouldn't be an issue. I often have to drive for work on trips that are 200 to 300 miles away. Even with that, since it can charge  from 15% to 80% in just 41 minutes with DC fast charging, it still wouldn't be a problem. I would just have to plan my trip around having lunch near a DC fast charger and stay at hotels with EV charging. 

In my early twenties, I worked as a courier for a while. Most of the gas I burned was sitting around idling. An EV uses very little energy when not moving. An F150 Lightning Pro would have been perfect.

On 12/10/2021 at 12:32 PM, Pina said:

Would love a range long enough we could haul the trailer without worry! 

Just curious, how often and how far do you tow? When I had my travel trailer, most trips were less than 100 miles away. Once every 2 years or so, we would go on a 1000+ mile road trip. For most trips, the F150 Lightning would have been just fine. But the long road trips would probably not have been possible.

24 minutes ago, akirby said:

For people with home chargers day trips aren’t an issue.  But if you were driving 200 miles per day and had to use a public charger that means you’d be charging every day and that could be really inconvenient especially in rural areas.

And especially at sub-zero temperatures where you lose 25%-40% of your driving range.  

• Like 2