succeed23

F150 Lightning Range

I'm surprised that the all electric F150 only has a max 300 mile range. As fast as that truck is, and the weight folks tow/haul, the range is certainly going to decrease. I've heard that EV owners have "range anxiety", and I can't imagine how much one would need to charge going on road trip. I would expect 300 to be available for the lowest model, but we'll see how they improve range over time. Overall, it's a awesome truck. What do you guys think?

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, succeed23 said:

I'm surprised that the all electric F150 only has a max 300 mile range. As fast as that truck is, and the weight folks tow/haul, the range is certainly going to decrease. I've heard that EV owners have "range anxiety", and I can't imagine how much one would need to charge going on road trip. I would expect 300 to be available for the lowest model, but we'll see how they improve range over time. Overall, it's a awesome truck. What do you guys think?

My thoughts exactly. With my truck order status in limbo,  I was watching the reveal and giving putting $100 down some thought But by the time you put cargo and passengers or God forbid a trailer behind that thing you'd be stopping and charging way too often for my taste. And that 300 is probably going to be more like 200 or 250 real world I'm sure, especially on highway. I also spend a lot of time on dirt roads and hunting land. I know that off-road is a huge battery drain to EVs too.

AND I don't think we've even heard how much more $ that long range battery is going to be either have we?

I tried to get into it... but Just too new/ too much for me yet.

Edited by Rondalon

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2021 at 7:00 PM, Rondalon said:

My thoughts exactly. With my truck order status in limbo,  I was watching the reveal and giving putting $100 down some thought But by the time you put cargo and passengers or God forbid a trailer behind that thing you'd be stopping and charging way too often for my taste. And that 300 is probably going to be more like 200 or 250 real world I'm sure, especially on highway. I also spend a lot of time on dirt roads and hunting land. I know that off-road is a huge battery drain to EVs too.

AND I don't think we've even heard how much more $ that long range battery is going to be either have we?

I tried to get into it... but Just too new/ too much for me yet.

I think it's a great start, and likely going to be a great truck for those that only plan to use it for short trips. I can't imagine using a 300 range truck that will take a hit in range based on speed and load for a road trip. Folks on cold weather areas will have to deal with a greater hit in range. I'm looking forward to seeing how this truck progresses over the years. It's also WAY better than the Rivian. Have you seen the price they're going to ask for that UGLY thing? 🤣

Edited by succeed23

I can't imagine myself buying an electric-powered truck. 

17 minutes ago, speedingtones said:

I can't imagine myself buying an electric-powered truck. 

What do EV makers need to work on to get you comfortable with the idea of an all electric truck? I bet range, so that means improvements in battery technology. What else?

58 minutes ago, succeed23 said:

What do EV makers need to work on to get you comfortable with the idea of an all electric truck? I bet range, so that means improvements in battery technology. What else?

Probably the same thing that a lot of truck fans complain about now with the V6 engines.  Lack of that deep throaty V8 exhaust note.

6 minutes ago, akirby said:

Probably the same thing that a lot of truck fans complain about now with the V6 engines.  Lack of that deep throaty V8 exhaust note.

That would be cool. EV makers have to have the vehicles make some noise for the safety of pedestrians. Maybe it would be possible to switch out that low humming sound EVs are known for with an optional upgrade to that V8 rumble folks crave. Considering that the sound would be fake, EV makers would have to work on the sound. I guess that's possible.

On 5/27/2021 at 8:49 PM, succeed23 said:

Other than the battery range, personally, nothing beats the power of a conventional fuel-powered truck. I guess I am just old-fashioned when it comes to my vehicles. 

7 minutes ago, speedingtones said:

Other than the battery range, personally, nothing beats the power of a conventional fuel-powered truck. I guess I am just old-fashioned when it comes to my vehicles. 

EVs certainly don't lack in power. You likely want what akirby was referring to; THAT beefy rumble. It'll be interesting to see how EV trucks are going to be years from now.

Almost all the company vehicles I've driven over the years have had a driving range of 300-350 miles. I'm not referring to any vehicles equipped with an optional, extended range gas tank. That being said, the real issue with BEV's is more the charging time and available infrastructure and not the driving range. If the infrastructure was available and you could recharge your BEV quickly the driving range would never be an issue.  

6 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Almost all the company vehicles I've driven over the years have had a driving range of 300-350 miles. I'm not referring to any vehicles equipped with an optional, extended range gas tank. That being said, the real issue with BEV's is more the charging time and available infrastructure and not the driving range. If the infrastructure was available and you could recharge your BEV quickly the driving range would never be an issue.  

Solid state batteries will address the charging times and range, but the issue with the current battery technology is that cold weather reduces the range. You likely were getting 300-350 miles on a combustible engine, but no way anyone is going to get 300 on a truck when you factor in towing, long idle times on job sites, and of course the weather. 300 range on an EV truck may actually end up being less than 200. I see wide adoption of EV increasing as the battery technology improves; which should improve range and charge time.

While the EPA range may be around 300 miles, I have an acquaintance in Detroit that is a 3rd party contractor for Ford.  He has been driving a test Lightning Truck for a few months, he is averaging just  over 500 miles per charge.  If that turns out to be a real world number, it makes the truck a lot more attractive.

I was excited when they announced the Lightning & seriously considered it but have to admit the range was one concern. Until the EV charging infrasturcture gets more established & widespread I expect others might be somewhat reluctant as well. I ended up opting for the F150 Powerboost for now.