2022 Ford Ranger

On 5/23/2021 at 4:00 PM, jpd80 said:

Global Ranger to get 3.0 Diesel at the end of the year, NG Ranger for North America is next year as a ‘23.

If I am remembering right, Ranger for NA was originally MY24 (two years behind global)...so it got sped up 1 year? Pretty good considering most projects keep getting pushed back due to COVID. 

There is your good news...

Now, if they could speed up the Bronco pickup...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deanh said:

Based on Gladiator sales prior to chip issues, Im not certain Im sold on a Bronco pickup.....

Being an end user and not a salesman I have a slightly different perspective. LOL.

I really like what Ford has done with the Bronco and a pickup version with all the same attributes would be exactly what I want. I need a truck and a Bronco pickup makes more sense for me than either the full-size that I have now or an SUV. And if a pickup version came with a removable top and other Bronco options like the Sasquatch upgrade that would certainly differentiate it from the Ranger. Since the Ranger and Bronco are built in the same plant I don't see how selling a few Bronco trucks at what I would assume would be a higher price than a Ranger would be a bad thing for Ford's bottom line.

Ford doesn't sell sedans here anymore so I hope multiple styles and sizes of pickups is part of the new business model just the same as how they are marketing so many different SUVs. 

I wonder how a Bronco pickup would be titled? My old Explorer Sport Trac was titled as an SUV, not a truck and I suppose that could be a possibility with a Bronco pickup as well.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, blksn8k2 said:

Being an end user and not a salesman I have a slightly different perspective. LOL.

I really like what Ford has done with the Bronco and a pickup version with all the same attributes would be exactly what I want. I need a truck and a Bronco pickup makes more sense for me than either the full-size that I have now or an SUV. And if a pickup version came with a removable top and other Bronco options like the Sasquatch upgrade that would certainly differentiate it from the Ranger. Since the Ranger and Bronco are built in the same plant I don't see how selling a few Bronco trucks at what I would assume would be a higher price than a Ranger would be a bad thing for Ford's bottom line.

Ford doesn't sell sedans here anymore so I hope multiple styles and sizes of pickups is part of the new business model just the same as how they are marketing so many different SUVs. 

I wonder how a Bronco pickup would be titled? My old Explorer Sport Trac was titled as an SUV, not a truck and I suppose that could be a possibility with a Bronco pickup as well.

end user or not, Im betting Ford watched the Gladiators sales numbers like hawks...and if they cant justify its ROI its dead in the water...nothing to do with profession at all, that's just smart business....if theres not a big enough market and thus financial return then its hard to justify...and it seems Ram/ Jeep are the best at releasing questionable "experiments"....so, remains to be seen...personally Id view it as a risky investment for a potentially small market..... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, akirby said:

Last word was it would not be like a Gladiator but would be different.

while that sounds intriguing, I scratch my head as to exactly how it would differ when it would basically be the same thing....a Bronco with a bed...much like the Gladiator is a Wrangler with a bed. Whilst I have no doubt Fords version would significantly improve on the Gladiator, from a stylistic standpoint it would pretty much follow Jeeps template...no?...

10 minutes ago, Deanh said:

while that sounds intriguing, I scratch my head as to exactly how it would differ when it would basically be the same thing....a Bronco with a bed...much like the Gladiator is a Wrangler with a bed. Whilst I have no doubt Fords version would significantly improve on the Gladiator, from a stylistic standpoint it would pretty much follow Jeeps template...no?...

Maybe @PREMiERdrum can elaborate a little.... (or not)

8 minutes ago, Deanh said:

Maybe some sort of mid-gate like the avalanche to convert from a crew cab to regular cab with a longer bed?
Whether or not it sees the light of day will depend on:

1) how much spare  capacity MAP has

2) the size of investment needed to make it a reality

3) expected profits

4) whether there are more compelling business cases

There must be some level of confidence in it or it would have been cancelled by now.

41 minutes ago, Deanh said:

end user or not, Im betting Ford watched the Gladiators sales numbers like hawks...and if they cant justify its ROI its dead in the water...nothing to do with profession at all, that's just smart business....if theres not a big enough market and thus financial return then its hard to justify...and it seems Ram/ Jeep are the best at releasing questionable "experiments"....so, remains to be seen...personally Id view it as a risky investment for a potentially small market..... 

i don’t know if it’s true/don’t exactly remember, but isn’t the Gladiator basically on its own frame and wheelbase too?   That has to increase the cost/threshold to get a good ROI significantly if true.

if Ford can come up with a Bronco-based package that better utilizes the existing frame, maybe they can make that minimum ROI level lower to where it’s worth doing.

On 6/3/2021 at 12:02 PM, fuzzymoomoo said:

That's the biggest question to me. Just looking around the Body shop I have no clue where the hell this thing would be built unless it shares a shit-ton of parts with either Ranger or Bronco. 

Between Bronco and NG Ranger, MAP will probably be producing around 30k per month, maybe more if they’re out of the park hits.

18 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Between Bronco and NG Ranger, MAP will probably be producing around 30k per month, maybe more if they’re out of the park hits.

I think if I'm not mistaken we were pushing 35k a month with Focus and C-Max when I first hired in back in 2013. I'd have to go back and find the sales reports from back then. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I think if I'm not mistaken we were pushing 35k a month with Focus and C-Max when I first hired in back in 2013. I'd have to go back and find the sales reports from back then. 

How many shifts was MAP working back then to pump out 35K?

Edited by mackinaw
typo

3 hours ago, mackinaw said:

How many shifts was MAP working back then to pump out 35K?

That would most likely be three shifts as that’s similar output to Dearborn when running at full speed.

I wonder if Ford will need to expand the body shop at MAP, there was a plan to move Mustang there before Ford decided to keep Flat Rock. Just thinking that body shop capacity tends to be the “bottle neck” in most plants when pushed to the Max, if the body shop can’t be expanded, maybe building  a second body shop is possible.

Edited by jpd80

On 6/2/2021 at 8:19 PM, rmc523 said:

i don’t know if it’s true/don’t exactly remember, but isn’t the Gladiator basically on its own frame and wheelbase too?   That has to increase the cost/threshold to get a good ROI significantly if true.

if Ford can come up with a Bronco-based package that better utilizes the existing frame, maybe they can make that minimum ROI level lower to where it’s worth doing.

Think back to 1st gen Sport Trac, it was built on what was essentially a Ranger extended cab frame. Why couldn't a Bronco pickup be built on the T6 Ranger frame? The four door Bronco "cab" is probably a little longer than a crewcab Ranger so the bed would probably need to be a little shorter than that of the Ranger but so was the original Sport Trac's bed. So, you modify the four door Bronco body by closing it off behind the rear seats, place it on the Ranger frame and add a 4 or 4 1/2 foot bed...

BTW, I was in Carlisle, PA on Saturday for the Ford Nationals and saw both a two door and four door Bronco. Very Sweet. They were handing out these nifty little Bronco backpacks and I hung mine from the roll bar in my '75.

IMG_5241.thumb.jpg.5383d80881b7df054a21f5ec777eae9a.jpg

IMG_5197.thumb.jpg.18c8fcd78f3173e53e7dcfe3d2e1b697.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, blksn8k2 said:

Think back to 1st gen Sport Trac, it was built on what was essentially a Ranger extended cab frame. Why couldn't a Bronco pickup be built on the T6 Ranger frame? The four door Bronco "cab" is probably a little longer than a crewcab Ranger so the bed would probably need to be a little shorter than that of the Ranger but so was the original Sport Trac's bed. So, you modify the four door Bronco body by closing it off behind the rear seats, place it on the Ranger frame and add a 4 or 4 1/2 foot bed...

BTW, I was in Carlisle, PA on Saturday for the Ford Nationals and saw both a two door and four door Bronco. Very Sweet. They were handing out these nifty little Bronco backpacks and I hung mine from the roll bar in my '75.

IMG_5241.thumb.jpg.5383d80881b7df054a21f5ec777eae9a.jpg

IMG_5197.thumb.jpg.18c8fcd78f3173e53e7dcfe3d2e1b697.jpg

I think one of the issues with the gladiator is that the bed looks too long. A slightly shorter bed would work well on both I think.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PREMiERdrum said:

Fresh back from a kid-free vacation with my wife in the Dominican Republic.

Bronco Truck development is creeping along after 6 months of dormancy. Not a Ranger, not a Gladiator. Just as a Sport isn't an Escape, or a Compass.

Good. I hope it has enough unique flavour to be different enough to eclipse Gladiator. Certain parts of Ford seem to be  pushing ahead with interesting projects…..

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, PREMiERdrum said:

Fresh back from a kid-free vacation with my wife in the Dominican Republic.

Bronco Truck development is creeping along after 6 months of dormancy. Not a Ranger, not a Gladiator. Just as a Sport isn't an Escape, or a Compass.

Pretty much what I suspected. Ford is not going to just copy Jeep. It will be its own spin on the concept. 

Don't forget the T6 family also include Everest... we haven't heard much about it but I'm sure Ford is working on that also and it may have a different wheelbase from Ranger too. So lots of different options on frame length and path forward for a Bronco Sporttrac. 

With the investment that Ford is making to all the T6 plants (Thailand, South Africa, Argentina), I figured that a nicely designed Sporttrac should also see some interest in other markets. 

Edited by bzcat