Looking to Order a 2022 F350, questions

Hello all. I'll try to keep this as short as possible but I want to give you all the important information. The wife and I bought an RV fish house 2 years ago. We have a 3 year old daughter and a big 110lb dog. Since buying the camper, between summer camping and Ice fishing we have gone on roughly 20-30 trips in 2 years. So we found out what we liked and decided to order a custom build house that is bigger and heavier than ours. I am being told by the builder to expect the dry tongue weight to be 1k pounds. Crunching the numbers I've decided I'm not comfortable staying with my 1/2 ton to tow it. The builder says there is no WDH that he knows of that will work with it. So dry weight I'm already maxing out the hitch capacity of the truck. Even if that were not the case with the dry hitch weight and me and the family in the truck I've maxed out my payload already too. Most of our trips are at least 2 hrs one way and some of them are as much as 5 hrs one way. So it's not like I'm only using it a couple times a year.

I've decided to just go with the F350 because here in MN tabs for 1 tons are a flat $120 a year or something like that. So since the F250 and F350 are basically the same price I will save thousands just on tabs over the life of owning it.

I saw that Ford was making the black appearance package available with the XLT trim for 2022 model year so thats what I want to go with. I actually have my local dealer pricing up a truck for me today. Which brings me to my current questions. First thing, I have not been able to actually look at an F350 in person yet. My 2013 F150 I remember that the back seat in the crew cab was huge and the floor was flat. Is that the case in the current super duties? It is a must for us, we need the split bench seat and a flat floor for the daughter and dog.

Second thing is the engine choice. I know the F350 is going to be overkill for our rig. I'm thinking the camper will at most weight 7,500lbs when loaded up but not being able to use a WDH and the tongue weight are the reasons for the upgrade. I already explained the cost of tabs is my reason for jumping right to the 1 ton. I see that in the F350 the 6.2 comes with the 10 speed, and then there is 7.3 upgrade which is $1,700. I really like what I see from the torque curve in the 7.3. I currently have a 1/2 ton diesel because I hated how much my gas engine screamed when towing. MPG is not that important to me, but the truck will be used as a daily driver for half of the year so if there will be a significant difference between the two and the 6.2 is more than enough for my needs I may go that route. If not I think the 7.3 is a no brainer.

Any and all recomendations, advice, etc is much appreciated. Thanks

22 is basically the same minus color changes, xls getting the armrest console back and 12" sync dash on upper trims. the 8" and 4.2 is the exact same dash as previous. Looks wise they'll be the same as a 20-21 as far as everyone has seen. Cab will be the same for a 15-20 f150, 17-current super duty so will have the flat floor in rear.  We have a ton of 6.2 6 speeds, 5 6.2/10s and 3 7.3/10s. My personal truck I bought out my pocket with having all those in the fleet is a 7.3/10 3.73. The 6.2/10 is nice and makes driving it a little better but the 7.3/10 is worth every penny and you can definitely tell the difference between the 2. 6.2 still likes higher rpm for hauling so to me it felt more sloppy on the 6.2 vs 7.3. Also 4.30/3.73 with the 10 speed on drivability is about the same unless hauling imo so not as big of a must have like it used to be on the 6.2/6. Black appearance was going to be a late availability option if I remember correct. 

Edited by repo956
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, repo956 said:

22 is basically the same minus color changes, xls getting the armrest console back and 12" sync dash on upper trims. the 8" and 4.2 is the exact same dash. looks wise they'll be the same as a 20-21 as far as everyone has seen. We have a ton of 6.2 6 speeds and the 6.2/10 is nice and makes driving it a little better but the 7.3/10 is worth every penny and you can definitely tell the difference between the 2. 6.2 still likes higher rpm for hauling so to me it felt more sloppy on the 6.2 vs 7.3. Also 4.30/3.73 with the 10 speed on drivability is about the same unless hauling imo so not as big of a must have like it used to be on the 6.2/6. Black appearance was going to be a late availability option if I remember correct. 

Thanks for the reply, and yes you are correct the black appearance on the XLT is going to be late availability. I really want that package and as long as I can get it before winter hits I will go with it. I actually just talked with my dealer and he said he can place the order and once he gets more information on a the timeline we can cancel it if it's going to be too late. If that happens I'll just order the same truck with out the black appearance package. After more thought I agree with you on the 7.3 engine. I'll just go with that and the standard 3.73 gears. With that torque curve it will be nice combo of highway cruising and towing ability

I tow 10-13k on a fairly regular basis, never felt it was lacking power. Having hooked the same load on the same trucks with the only difference being 3.73 and 4.30 unless you're looking for the difference it seems the same. we get about the same mpg between the 6.2/10 and 7.3/10 with maybe a .5 difference in favor of the 7.3. Theyre also fleet trucks so I doubt they're driving them nicely and they definitely idle a ton. 

7 minutes ago, repo956 said:

I tow 10-13k on a fairly regular basis, never felt it was lacking power. Having hooked the same load on the same trucks with the only difference being 3.73 and 4.30 unless you're looking for the difference it seems the same. we get about the same mpg between the 6.2/10 and 7.3/10 with maybe a .5 difference in favor of the 7.3. Theyre also fleet trucks so I doubt they're driving them nicely and they definitely idle a ton. 

Thats great to know, appreciate the feedback. The 7.3 is definitely a no brainer then

• Like 2

I can't speak to price difference on the two trucks because I haven't priced the F350's, but I do know that with the right packages, 10000 GVWR, camper package, and FX4, a F250 is the same as a F350, just a different badge.  As far as the 6.2 vs 7.3 gas engines go, I've pulled a lot of different trailers, with a lot of different trucks over the years, and I've never wished that I had a smaller engine.  I'm waiting on a 2022 F250 with the 7.3.  My current trailer puller is a '98 Dodge 24 valve Cummins.  I don't expect to be disappointed with the new truck, and won't pay $10000.00 plus for another diesel because I don't need it anymore.  My opinion, your mileage may vary.

47 minutes ago, Mirage Flatter said:

I can't speak to price difference on the two trucks because I haven't priced the F350's, but I do know that with the right packages, 10000 GVWR, camper package, and FX4, a F250 is the same as a F350, just a different badge.  As far as the 6.2 vs 7.3 gas engines go, I've pulled a lot of different trailers, with a lot of different trucks over the years, and I've never wished that I had a smaller engine.  I'm waiting on a 2022 F250 with the 7.3.  My current trailer puller is a '98 Dodge 24 valve Cummins.  I don't expect to be disappointed with the new truck, and won't pay $10000.00 plus for another diesel because I don't need it anymore.  My opinion, your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the reply, and I agree with you. Especially for a $1,700 upcharge the 7.3 is the way to go.