Tried to buy an Aviator (w/o success!)

I was interested in an Aviator to tow my Lance Camping Trailer. It weighs around 5000 lbs 

the Aviator is rated to tow 6000-7200 lbs. I just spent half a day driving to a dealer, test driving,; very nice by the way; and trying to buy. I asked about them installing the required electronic brake controller. Not available! What? They are required in many states, trailer over 3000lbs in my state.

How can Lincoln advertise a 6000lb tow rating when they can’t supply a brake controller? Try aftermarket you say? No dice said Lincoln and the dealership, would not play nice with the other electronics. Disgusted and disappointed.

2 hours ago, Truebrit said:

I was interested in an Aviator to tow my Lance Camping Trailer. It weighs around 5000 lbs 

the Aviator is rated to tow 6000-7200 lbs. I just spent half a day driving to a dealer, test driving,; very nice by the way; and trying to buy. I asked about them installing the required electronic brake controller. Not available! What? They are required in many states, trailer over 3000lbs in my state.

How can Lincoln advertise a 6000lb tow rating when they can’t supply a brake controller? Try aftermarket you say? No dice said Lincoln and the dealership, would not play nice with the other electronics. Disgusted and disappointed.

Ever hear of Covid?  Microchip shortages?  Furniture and appliance orders take 6 months or longer.

2 hours ago, Truebrit said:

46 minutes ago, akirby said:

Ever hear of Covid?  Microchip shortages?  Furniture and appliance orders take 6 months or longer.

Do we know for sure that Ford/Lincoln offers a brake controller for the Aviator, or is this in fact an out-of-stock problem?

HRG

Here's what the brochure says is included in the tow package (option code 52Q):

7-Wire Harness & 4-/7-Pin Connector X

250-Amp Alternator (Gas engine only) X

Hitch Receiver X

Blind Spot Detection with CrossTraffic Alert and Trailer Coverage X

Smart Trailer Tow X

Trailer Sway Control X

TRAILER TOWING PACKAGE Note: Trailer Towing Package recommended for all vehicles that will be used for towing to help ensure easy, proper connection of trailer lights.

Are any of these considered the brake controller?

Edited by Harley Lover

Have you looked in to a controller like the Curt Echo Wireless Trailer Brake Controller?  I don't know for sure if it will work on an Aviator, but it could be more likely to as it plugs in to the 7-pin connector instead of being wired in to the dash wiring harness.

The brake controller is an electronic device that sends a signal to the trailer brakes when the tow vehicle has the brakes applied. This was typically a separate item you purchased but many vehicles have a socket where you could just plug in and play. Recently some vehicles have this built in and included with the tow package, it was in my current F150. It is not included in the Aviator tow package; which incidentally is totally useless in my state if you tow more than 3000lbs. The dealer spoke to Lincoln and there is no controller available and they will not say if there will be.

interestingly, one is available for the Ford Explorer so why not the Aviator? The Explorer however is only rated for 5600 lbs, a little too close for my trailer.

Finally, I was advised by the dealer that aftermarket controllers were not recommended, nice of them to say since a sale was on the line!

First, Ford/Lincoln doesn't offer a brake controller.  The dealer or I should say whoever you spoke to are morons.

The Aviator and Explorer work the same way.  If you have the hitch from the factory (I believe all Aviators do but could be wrong), the plug is under the dash to plug into the Brake Controller.  Go buy a Prodigy controller and install it.  Then you will take the harness from Prodigy and plug it into the plug under the dash and everything will work as designed.  It is literally plug and play, do not pay the dealer to do anything regarding this.

Here is a pic of the plug under the dash.  So Prodigy mounted, then harness plugs into the Prodigy and other end plugs into this.  Once that is done, everything will function properly.  There is no worry about 3rd party crap with factory crap blah blah blah.

cONN_LI.jpg

Edited by blwnsmoke
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...