'21 May Sales

40 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

Those that think Escape had a great month have low expectations. Mediocre sales in a red hot segment. When you add in the lost sales from Fusion and Focus which Escape is expected to supplant, the picture looks rather depressing. 

You’re conveniently ignoring Bronco Sport.  It’s a package deal.  

2 hours ago, Trader 10 said:

Those that think Escape had a great month have low expectations. Mediocre sales in a red hot segment. When you add in the lost sales from Fusion and Focus which Escape is expected to supplant, the picture looks rather depressing. 

I don't think anyone is necessarily thrilled with the numbers vs. the competition (especially the Subaru), but with the current situation of production limitations, plus when you combine the figures of Escape (19,951) + Bronco Sport (14,947), you get 34,898, roughly evenly splitting between Rav4 and CRV.

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

I don't think anyone is necessarily thrilled with the numbers vs. the competition (especially the Subaru), but with the current situation of production limitations, plus when you combine the figures of Escape (19,951) + Bronco Sport (14,947), you get 34,898, roughly evenly splitting between Rav4 and CRV.

In better times I would expect that Escape and Bronco Sport would sell around 20K each per month

and then you add in Maverick with let’s say 12k a month and that’s a sizeable super segment....

(now there’s a term we haven’t heard for ages)

there’s still above 4K of Ecosport sales too so Ford pushing with everything it has....

4 hours ago, akirby said:

Which, for those who haven't been paying attention, some of us have been saying for almost 2 years. 

I'm no fan of the new Escape, especially after driving one for a day, but I get what they’re trying to do and it looks as if it's paying off. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I'm no fan of the new Escape, especially after driving one for a day, but I get what they’re trying to do and it looks as if it's paying off. 

I'm curious - what don't you like about the new Escape after having driven one?

I dislike the front-end styling, and some of the cheaper interior materials are disappointing, but the fit is good, it's very quiet inside, the ride is sublime, the handling is more than adequate for a crossover, and 40 mpg is nothing to sneeze at from a bigger, heavier hybrid than my previous C-MAX.

(I'm obviously biased since I own one...)

9 minutes ago, MadManMoon said:

I'm curious - what don't you like about the new Escape after having driven one?

I dislike the front-end styling, and some of the cheaper interior materials are disappointing, but the fit is good, it's very quiet inside, the ride is sublime, the handling is more than adequate for a crossover, and 40 mpg is nothing to sneeze at from a bigger, heavier hybrid than my previous C-MAX.

(I'm obviously biased since I own one...)

I drove one with the 1.5EB. I didn't find it to be as loud and buzzy as I had heard it was but I can also see how some would find it annoying. I hated the way the transmission shifted, I found it to be very jerky, especially when accelerating from a stop and the downshifts under braking weren't much better. At cruising speed (45-55mph) it always seemed to be in the wrong gear and it was being held too low in the RPM band. I didn't care for the ride compared to the old model. I had a 2019 rental for a few months and liked the ride quality way more.  The interior was ok and I didn't dislike the super basic gauge cluster as much as the pictures led me to believe I would. I would like to see the center screen angled toward the windshield slightly rather than being 100% vertically oriented but that's a minor gripe. And WTF happened to the start/stop system between the last generation and the current one? My word I used to think it was one of the best ones I've ever used but this one is just terrible. Every time it kicked the engine back on it lurched the whole car forward. I normally don't have a problem with motion sickness but it honestly started making me nauseous. I had to turn it off very quickly. 

The whole experience  me very glad my dealer was able to find me another Fusion instead of getting me into the Escape I was ready to sign the papers on if they weren't able to pull off the trade with the other dealer. 

10 hours ago, rmc523 said:

At best the previous gen Escape was behind RAV4 and CRV by 50K - 100K units annually.  And that was with substantial fleet sales and big rebates and a lot of cheap SE models.  

Having combined sales in the neighborhood of both RAV4 and CRV now bodes very well considering the higher ATPs and limited supply of hybrid escapes and bronco sports.  And we know Escape is getting a facelift which should help even more.   I don't see how that can be anything but good news.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, akirby said:

At best the previous gen Escape was behind RAV4 and CRV by 50K - 100K units annually.  And that was with substantial fleet sales and big rebates and a lot of cheap SE models.  

Having combined sales in the neighborhood of both RAV4 and CRV now bodes very well considering the higher ATPs and limited supply of hybrid escapes and bronco sports.  And we know Escape is getting a facelift which should help even more.   I don't see how that can be anything but good news.

Going forward into 2022, Ford should only offer that 3 cyl. on S and SE models only. SEL and Titanium models should come standard with hybrid and 2.0L only. And I know the Titanium does come standard with hybrid. No way would I pay over $30,000 for that 3 cyl. engine. Keep the 3 cyl. low rent. It's fine on an Ecosport or Escape S for $22,000. And stop start works great on my Escape hybrid and CVT is much smoother than my Crosstrek was that was jerky when engine was cold. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, akirby said:

No, not really. you are cherry picking the data to make Ford look better if you combine Bronco Sport and Escape sales. 

If you do that, then you should also combine sales of Subaru XV and Forester, Mazda CX-30 and CX-5, Chevy Trailblazer and Equinox, Jeep Compass and Cherokee etc. And if you think Toyota won't tsunami everyone with the combined Corolla Cross and RAV4 in a few months, I got news for you...

Ford still trails just about every other mass market car company in the red hot compact CUV segment There is no way to sugarcoat it. 

34 minutes ago, bzcat said:

No, not really. you are cherry picking the data to make Ford look better if you combine Bronco Sport and Escape sales. 

If you do that, then you should also combine sales of Subaru XV and Forester, Mazda CX-30 and CX-5, Chevy Trailblazer and Equinox, Jeep Compass and Cherokee etc. And if you think Toyota won't tsunami everyone with the combined Corolla Cross and RAV4 in a few months, I got news for you...

Ford still trails just about every other mass market car company in the red hot compact CUV segment There is no way to sugarcoat it. 

Not sugarcoating anything.  It’s a fact that Ford chose to replace Escape with 2 completely different vehicles in the same class targeted at different buyers.  That’s a perfectly valid business strategy.  If those other vehicles are in the same class then it’s fine to combine them too.  Which do you think is making more money for Ford - 300k Escapes in 2017 or 400K Escapes and Bronco Sports in 2021?

But if you’re only looking at one segment (small cuvs) then you’re cherry-picking.  How does Ford do against Honda and Toyota on pickups and 3 row utilities?  What about BEVs?  Commercial vans?  Sports cars?  Different mfrs have different strengths.  

2 hours ago, akirby said:

A regularly scheduled facelift?  Or an early one?

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

I wouldn't use the fleet/rental queen Equinox for comparison. No hybrid and for 2022 goes to one mediocre engine. And the Trax is not any better. The BS is making good money for Ford with little to no rebates. And mostly conquest sales. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, akirby said:

Not sugarcoating anything.  It’s a fact that Ford chose to replace Escape with 2 completely different vehicles in the same class targeted at different buyers.  That’s a perfectly valid business strategy.  If those other vehicles are in the same class then it’s fine to combine them too.  Which do you think is making more money for Ford - 300k Escapes in 2017 or 400K Escapes and Bronco Sports in 2021?

But if you’re only looking at one segment (small cuvs) then you’re cherry-picking.  How does Ford do against Honda and Toyota on pickups and 3 row utilities?  What about BEVs?  Commercial vans?  Sports cars?  Different mfrs have different strengths.  

Don't move the goal post, that's what you tell people all the time right? I agree Ford is targeting profit margin instead of volume with Bronco Sport which has an uniquely high starting MSRP so Ford is probably never going to win the sales contest. And Ford instead dominates with Explorer, pickup trucks and vans... all great profit generators and no arguments from me.

But we are talking about sales. This is a sales thread and Escape and Bronco Sport are two different size vehicles each with its own set of competitors. 

Honda and Hyundai are notably the only mainstream brand with only one compact CUV (GMC too but it is in the Buick showroom so Buick has it covered). Everyone else has a C-short and C-long entry. So let's compare apples to apples. If you want to combine C-short and C-long on Ford's ledger, then combine them for everyone else.

Here is the list of all the competitors. I will even include the starting MSRP of the base model and top trim so we can all keep eachother honest.

Compact Short CUV starting MSRP without additional options
Buick Encore GX Preferred FWD is $25k and Essence AWD is $32k
Chevy Trailblazer LS FWD is $23k and RS AWD is $28k
Ford Bronco Sport AWD is $27k (no FWD version) and Outer Banks AWD is $32k
Jeep Compass S FWD $24k and Limited AWD is $31k
Kia Seltos LX FWD is $22k and SX Turbo AWD is $28k
Mazda CX-30 S FWD is $22k and Turbo Premium plus AWD is $34k
Mitsubishi Eclipse ES FWD is $23k and SEL AWD is $29k
Nissan Rogue Sport S FWD is $23k and and SL AWD is $30k
Subaru Crosstrek AWD is $22k (no FWD version) and Hybrid is $35k

Toyota Corolla Cross [new, no pricing yet]
VW Taos S FWD $23k and SEL AWD is $33k

The magic number in this segment is $23k - that's where most of them start with a FWD base model. You can see above that Bronco Sport has a high starting MSRP due to lack of FWD version, but the Outer Banks is pretty much in line with competitor's fully loaded AWD entries at low $30k range. Arguably, Ford is going use Maverick to go after the $23k FWD part of this segment but for the moment, Bronco Sport is only competing at the pricey end of this segment. And doing a good job of it! 

Compact Long CUV starting MSRP without additional options

Buick Envision Preferred FWD is $35k and Avenir AWD is $43k

Chevy Equinox L FWD is $25k and Premier AWD is $34k

Ford Escape S FWD is $26k and Titanium AWD is $36k (Titanium PHEV FWD is $39k)

GMC Terrain SL FWD is $26k and Denali AWD is $38k

Honda CR-V LX FWD is $25k and Touring AWD Hybrid is $36k

Hyundai Tucson SE FWD is $25k and Limited AWD Hybrid is $40k

Jeep Cherokee Latitude FWD is $27k and High Altitude AWD is $39k

Kia Sportage LX FWD is $24k and SX Turbo AWD is $35k 

Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD is $25k and Signature AWD is $39k

Mitsubishi Outlander ES FWD is $26k and SEL AWD is $35k (GT PHEV is $42k)

Nissan Rogue S FWD is $26k and Platinum AWD is $37k

Subaru Forester AWD os $25k (no FWD version) and Touring AWD is $35k

Toyota RAV4 LE FWD is $26k and Limited AWD Hybrid is $39k (Prime PHEV AWD is $38k-$42k)

VW Tiguan S FWD is $25k and SEL R-line AWD is $40k

Here the picture is a lot more clear... everyone basically starts at $25k and end at around $40k. And yes, I think it is fair to point out that almost everyone is growing volume except Ford. Don't use cutting back fleet sales as an excuse... that's a false narrative. CR-V and RAV4 didn't double the sales from 2016 to 2021 by going after Ford's rental sales. CX-5 and Forester didn't pass Ford by stuffing Enterprise with their CUVs. No, Ford got beat and beat badly when it left Escape without update for too long and its retail customers went elsewhere and they haven't come back. Accord and Altima sales went down but CR-V and Rogue more than make up the difference. Fusion sales went down to practically zero and Escape sales... went down. That's probably the #1 reason why Mark Fields is not sitting in the corner office. But I digress...

Edited by bzcat

5 hours ago, akirby said:

Sure its a perfectly valid business strategy. What’s not valid is having your all new vehicle lose a third of the previous generation’s prior volume in a segment where everyone else is increasing sales. The Bronco Sport should be adding substantial volumes to Ford’s sales in this segment, instead it is covering for the lack of Escape sales. I’ll repeat it since you are ignoring that Escape should be picking up sales from the discontinuation of Ford’s sedans and obviously that isn’t happening. 

17 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

I’ll repeat it since you are ignoring that Escape should be picking up sales from the discontinuation of Ford’s sedans and obviously that isn’t happening. 

They’re going to things like Bronco Sport, F-150 and Explorer. Probably EcoSport too since it's surprisingly staying pretty consistent. 

19 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

They’re going to things like Bronco Sport, F-150 and Explorer. Probably EcoSport too since it's surprisingly staying pretty consistent. 

I’m of the opinion that most of the basic volume selling compact utilities and cars don’t add all that much profit to manufacturer’s bottom lines, not like full sized Trucks and utilities and to some extent mid-sized trucks and utilities.

Pepole get carried away with sales volume and completely ignore that the costs of satisfying customer demands in highly competitive and price sensitive segments that leads to significant profit reduction (Fusion). So not selling into a sales void with everything you can make (Equinox) is probably not best for the business, balancing entry price versus expected sales volume is key.....raise price slightly, causes reduction in sales with same profit but fewer resources expended.

Its an interesting concept of conserving resources but get the same profit with fewer sales.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

Sure its a perfectly valid business strategy. What’s not valid is having your all new vehicle lose a third of the previous generation’s prior volume in a segment where everyone else is increasing sales. The Bronco Sport should be adding substantial volumes to Ford’s sales in this segment, instead it is covering for the lack of Escape sales. I’ll repeat it since you are ignoring that Escape should be picking up sales from the discontinuation of Ford’s sedans and obviously that isn’t happening. 

If you want to talk about replacing sedan sales then you have to compare Focus with Ranger and Bronco and you have to compare Fusion with Maverick and Bronco Sport because that’s where the sedan resources went.  And there is zero doubt that profit margins on the new products are significantly higher.  

Edited by akirby
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bzcat said:

Don't move the goal post, that's what you tell people all the time right? I agree Ford is targeting profit margin instead of volume with Bronco Sport which has an uniquely high starting MSRP so Ford is probably never going to win the sales contest. And Ford instead dominates with Explorer, pickup trucks and vans... all great profit generators and no arguments from me.

But we are talking about sales. This is a sales thread and Escape and Bronco Sport are two different size vehicles each with its own set of competitors. 

Honda and Hyundai are notably the only mainstream brand with only one compact CUV (GMC too but it is in the Buick showroom so Buick has it covered). Everyone else has a C-short and C-long entry. So let's compare apples to apples. If you want to combine C-short and C-long on Ford's ledger, then combine them for everyone else.

Here is the list of all the competitors. I will even include the starting MSRP of the base model and top trim so we can all keep eachother honest.

Compact Short CUV starting MSRP without additional options
Buick Encore GX Preferred FWD is $25k and Essence AWD is $32k
Chevy Trailblazer LS FWD is $23k and RS AWD is $28k
Ford Bronco Sport AWD is $27k (no FWD version) and Outer Banks AWD is $32k
Jeep Compass S FWD $24k and Limited AWD is $31k
Kia Seltos LX FWD is $22k and SX Turbo AWD is $28k
Mazda CX-30 S FWD is $22k and Turbo Premium plus AWD is $34k
Mitsubishi Eclipse ES FWD is $23k and SEL AWD is $29k
Nissan Rogue Sport S FWD is $23k and and SL AWD is $30k
Subaru Crosstrek AWD is $22k (no FWD version) and Hybrid is $35k

Toyota Corolla Cross [new, no pricing yet]
VW Taos S FWD $23k and SEL AWD is $33k

The magic number in this segment is $23k - that's where most of them start with a FWD base model. You can see above that Bronco Sport has a high starting MSRP due to lack of FWD version, but the Outer Banks is pretty much in line with competitor's fully loaded AWD entries at low $30k range. Arguably, Ford is going use Maverick to go after the $23k FWD part of this segment but for the moment, Bronco Sport is only competing at the pricey end of this segment. And doing a good job of it! 

Compact Long CUV starting MSRP without additional options

Buick Envision Preferred FWD is $35k and Avenir AWD is $43k

Chevy Equinox L FWD is $25k and Premier AWD is $34k

Ford Escape S FWD is $26k and Titanium AWD is $36k (Titanium PHEV FWD is $39k)

GMC Terrain SL FWD is $26k and Denali AWD is $38k

Honda CR-V LX FWD is $25k and Touring AWD Hybrid is $36k

Hyundai Tucson SE FWD is $25k and Limited AWD Hybrid is $40k

Jeep Cherokee Latitude FWD is $27k and High Altitude AWD is $39k

Kia Sportage LX FWD is $24k and SX Turbo AWD is $35k 

Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD is $25k and Signature AWD is $39k

Mitsubishi Outlander ES FWD is $26k and SEL AWD is $35k (GT PHEV is $42k)

Nissan Rogue S FWD is $26k and Platinum AWD is $37k

Subaru Forester AWD os $25k (no FWD version) and Touring AWD is $35k

Toyota RAV4 LE FWD is $26k and Limited AWD Hybrid is $39k (Prime PHEV AWD is $38k-$42k)

VW Tiguan S FWD is $25k and SEL R-line AWD is $40k

Here the picture is a lot more clear... everyone basically starts at $25k and end at around $40k. And yes, I think it is fair to point out that almost everyone is growing volume except Ford. Don't use cutting back fleet sales as an excuse... that's a false narrative. CR-V and RAV4 didn't double the sales from 2016 to 2021 by going after Ford's rental sales. CX-5 and Forester didn't pass Ford by stuffing Enterprise with their CUVs. No, Ford got beat and beat badly when it left Escape without update for too long and its retail customers went elsewhere and they haven't come back. Accord and Altima sales went down but CR-V and Rogue more than make up the difference. Fusion sales went down to practically zero and Escape sales... went down. That's probably the #1 reason why Mark Fields is not sitting in the corner office. But I digress...

Is Ford lagging behind in smaller CUVs?   Yes.  Is Ford disappointed in Escape sales to this point?  Probably.  But 20k sales in one month is not terrible especially if they are higher profit than the previous Gen.  It remains to be seen how many Escapes and Bronco Sports Ford can sell once constraints are lifted and they make a few styling tweaks.  

As for comparing Ford’s CUVs to the other mfrs - Ford has a different investment strategy. 

Which competitor has F150, Super Duty, Transit, Transit Connect, Ranger, Maverick, Expedition, Explorer, F150 Lightning and E Transit?  Nobody.  Only GM comes close.

So maybe you should be asking Honda and Hyundai and Kia and Toyota and Nissan why they’re lagging so far behind in pickup sales.  It’s essentially the same question and the answer is the same.  Different customers, different investment strategies.

There is only so much capital and other resources that  can be allocated to small CUVs with so many new vehicles in development.

That’s not moving the goalposts that’s explaining why one team leads the league in rushing and another leads in passing,  Both can be successful.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Is Ford lagging behind in smaller CUVs?   Yes.  Is Ford disappointed in Escape sales to this point?  Probably.  But 20k sales in one month is not terrible especially if they are higher profit than the previous Gen.  It remains to be seen how many Escapes and Bronco Sports Ford can sell once constraints are lifted and they make a few styling tweaks.  

As for comparing Ford’s CUVs to the other mfrs - Ford has a different investment strategy. 

Which competitor has F150, Super Duty, Transit, Transit Connect, Ranger, Maverick, Expedition, Explorer, F150 Lightning and E Transit?  Nobody.  Only GM comes close.

So maybe you should be asking Honda and Hyundai and Kia and Toyota and Nissan why they’re lagging so far behind in pickup sales.  It’s essentially the same question and the answer is the same.  Different customers, different investment strategies.

There is only so much capital and other resources that  can be allocated to small CUVs with so many new vehicles in development.

That’s not moving the goalposts that’s explaining why one team leads the league in rushing and another leads in passing,  Both can be successful.

I agree 100% Ford has different investment strategy. I was the one that first mentioned in the sales thread last year that Toyota would kill to have Ford's volume in trucks and vans so I fully understand the point you are making. But that doesn't excuse Ford from not being able to compete effectively in the biggest and fastest growing segment. Also, we don't know if Ford is making more profit on the new Escape. I highly doubt it because Ford has the same fixed cost as before but only 1/2 the volume... that doesn't suggest better profit margin to me.

I think Escape really shows a lot of the problem Ford had under Fields... the inability to really execute simple vehicle design and updates. The myopic development process that seems to ignore market trends. etc. Hopefully, Farley will fix Escape soon. It's not just the US mind you... Escape/Kuga also saw sales plunge in China and Europe - not as much as US but both Europe and China made last minute styling changes before production started in a last ditch attempt to reverse course. So something is really wrong with this Escape/Kuga despite the cheerleaders here ignoring clear evidence that all 3 key Ford markets have rejected the redesign.

Bronco Sport give me a lot of hope that Farley lead Ford has finally figured out how to design and market/sell a small vehicle. It is selling well despite not having entry level model in its segment. It is literally missing 1/3 of the range but the product appeal is so strong, it probably won't matter. 

Edited by bzcat

On 6/3/2021 at 1:25 PM, jpd80 said:

These are really quirky times and the sales success of some vehicles is sometimes due to supply setbacks with others.

The reason that Escape sales are up is exactly because of the squeeze on other products like Bronco Sport,

there’s still decent Ranger  production and inventory so no surprise that sales are still relatively unaffected 

Also keep in mind that the squeeze on F Series sales in turn redirects some buyers to take an Expedition 

instead.....it could also be that some Explorer buyers gave up and bought an expedition instead.

I would agree here. I don't think under one can put any reasoning to any sales numbers-by any vehicle manufacturer under theses market conditions. Once things normalize-some sales numbers will not be good for some that look good now. The Escape particularly comes to mind.

Edited by CKNSLS

1 hour ago, akirby said:

If you want to talk about replacing sedan sales then you have to compare Focus with Ranger and Bronco and you have to compare Fusion with Maverick and Bronco Sport because that’s where the sedan resources went.  And there is zero doubt that profit margins on the new products are significantly higher.  

Aviator and expanded Explorer production replaced Taurus.  Again high margin vehicles replacing a low margin sedan.

• Like 1