'10,000/9,900 GVWR Package'

I was reading on the Tremor forum this isn't the package you want as it reduces payload capacity, does another package need to be selected? I see this package on my invoice from the dealer and want to see if I can change it before the truck gets built. FWIW this is on a 7.3L gas truck.

I've been wondering the same thing as it's something I should have researched better before placing our order?  If there is a reduction/derate in the payload capacity, is it really real, or just shows a reduced capacity on the yellow sticker on the door.  Ours will be licensed with a farm plate in Nebraska, so fees will be the same regardless.

17 hours ago, road turtle said:

remove it.  Some states consider higher payload as commercial vehicles.  Placard reduction keeps the truck as non commercial

Is this something I could call Ford on if the dealer can’t? I only say the dealer is because the sales manager I ordered it from is out on vacation and I ordered it on 4/26 so based on what I’ve seen it could be scheduled for around the end of July or beginning of August. 

I researched this myself because no one at the dealership could answer this for me.  In Texas, if the truck has a GVWR of 10,000 or less, the registration each year is $54.  If the GVWR is between 10,001 & 18,000 (don't hold me to the upper number) the registration is more than double that per year.  So yes, I checked the 9900 GVWR checkbox on my new order...

1 hour ago, todd270 said:

I researched this myself because no one at the dealership could answer this for me.  In Texas, if the truck has a GVWR of 10,000 or less, the registration each year is $54.  If the GVWR is between 10,001 & 18,000 (don't hold me to the upper number) the registration is more than double that per year.  So yes, I checked the 9900 GVWR checkbox on my new order...

and if you run into LEO that actually knows to check trucks GVWR, you could get a ticket for that if you're over... admittedly, the odds are really low.

10 minutes ago, road turtle said:

and if you run into LEO that actually knows to check trucks GVWR, you could get a ticket for that if you're over... admittedly, the odds are really low.

I won't dispute what you say, as I don't know.  But, as a former LEO myself, I can estimate those odds of being about the same as winning the lotto...  ?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, todd270 said:

I won't dispute what you say, as I don't know.  But, as a former LEO myself, I can estimate those odds of being about the same as winning the lotto...  ?

It's like towing mirrors, every once in awhile you win the lottery :).. Friend of mine was at a park out west, people were coming complaining there was an LEO about a mile down the road, pulling over vehicles without towing mirrors.  It happens, but extremely rare.  Luckily, in my state with it's over priced registration, there's no advantage to down sizing weight classification.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 1:42 PM, Stevens7.3 said:

I was reading on the Tremor forum this isn't the package you want as it reduces payload capacity, does another package need to be selected? I see this package on my invoice from the dealer and want to see if I can change it before the truck gets built. FWIW this is on a 7.3L gas truck.

This is a F250 or F350???

On a F250, the 10,000/9900  GVWR package is an upgrade on the gas engine trucks.

AFAIK F250 gas engine, 9900 GVWR is the highest you can get.

11 hours ago, Ltngdrvr said:

This is a F250 or F350???

On a F250, the 10,000/9900  GVWR package is an upgrade on the gas engine trucks.

AFAIK F250 gas engine, 9900 GVWR is the highest you can get.

It's a F250, I thought because the Tremor came with the F250 suspension the 10K package was a downgrade but my sales manager said you can't have the 10K package and the tremor package together.

1 hour ago, Stevens7.3 said:

It's a F250, I thought because the Tremor came with the F250 suspension the 10K package was a downgrade but my sales manager said you can't have the 10K package and the tremor package together.

Pretty sure the 10K GVWR is only on diesels in the F250.

10 hours ago, Ltngdrvr said:

Pretty sure the 10K GVWR is only on diesels in the F250.

Not according to the dealer who ordered my truck yesterday.  Not adding the 10,000/9,900 GVWR on the F250 gets you a 10,000 GVWR and selecting it got the 9,900 GVWR.  They showed me the same build selecting it and not selecting it.   I did NOT select it.

Edited by slowninja14

• 3 weeks later...

Here in MA if you go over 10.000lb you need Com Plates & can not park on the street overnight or get a parking permit. But all my trucks have had the 10,000Ib pkg. A few years back any truck you had needed Com Plates witch you pay for every year. Now you can Reg. the truck ether way Com or Pass as long as its 10,000lb or below & park overnight on the street even if its Com plates. The other payoff is Reg. plates is every 5 yrs. Plus Com plates you now can have a Vanity plate as before only Pass could get Vanity plates.

• 2 weeks later...

State Troopers in my part of Colorado have a fixation with the trucks GVWR sticker. State law is that if your truck is stickered for 10,001+ and you are connected to a trailer rated for 10,000+ "for commerce" you are required to have a CDL and all that goes with it. This, even though the Federal standard is 26,001 GCVW. So I wanted an F350, because I can. I chose the 10,000 GVWR option to get the door sticker that reads 10k. This means I can tow the gooseneck with the mini-excavator without a CDL because A) I will be below 26k lbs combined and B) the truck is rated below 10,001 lbs. 

It will cause the payload to be "derated" by the 1,300lb difference and the max gooseneck rating to be 19,000 instead of 20,000 but there will be no physical difference in the truck from the standard rated version. LEO has been checking this and enforcing the law. Having the 10k rating exempts me from all of that extra hassle. Nobody will ever be looking at the payload sticker anyway, and I am unlikely to ever need to go over the 3000lbs+ it will still be rated for.

Very handy option for some of us. Just a paperwork work around.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2021 at 4:50 PM, Mountain Super Duty said:

State Troopers in my part of Colorado have a fixation with the trucks GVWR sticker. State law is that if your truck is stickered for 10,001+ and you are connected to a trailer rated for 10,000+ "for commerce" you are required to have a CDL and all that goes with it. This, even though the Federal standard is 26,001 GCVW. So I wanted an F350, because I can. I chose the 10,000 GVWR option to get the door sticker that reads 10k. This means I can tow the gooseneck with the mini-excavator without a CDL because A) I will be below 26k lbs combined and B) the truck is rated below 10,001 lbs. 

It will cause the payload to be "derated" by the 1,300lb difference and the max gooseneck rating to be 19,000 instead of 20,000 but there will be no physical difference in the truck from the standard rated version. LEO has been checking this and enforcing the law. Having the 10k rating exempts me from all of that extra hassle. Nobody will ever be looking at the payload sticker anyway, and I am unlikely to ever need to go over the 3000lbs+ it will still be rated for.

Very handy option for some of us. Just a paperwork work around.

is the “derated” payload real or does the package actually swap parts for less payload?

42 minutes ago, Sirunify said:

is the “derated” payload real or does the package actually swap parts for less payload?

Nope, it's the same components, it's just a different sticker. The truck will still perform just like the ones without the derate, but the GVWR is lower, which helps with registration and licensing fees in some states. It's a legal thing...

35 minutes ago, chadstickpoindexter said:

Nope, it's the same components, it's just a different sticker. The truck will still perform just like the ones without the derate, but the GVWR is lower, which helps with registration and licensing fees in some states. It's a legal thing...

I figured it was a legal/insurance thing but always nice to hear someone’s input

thanks!

10 hours ago, Sirunify said:

I figured it was a legal/insurance thing but always nice to hear someone’s input

thanks!

No physical changes to the truck, it will be built exactly the same as if it had an 11,300 sticker. I am pretty sure even the axle weight ratings on the sticker remain the same, just the GVWR number changes. The payload number will drop from ~4300 to ~3000 on the other sticker with tire information. The heaviest load I am likely to haul will have less than 3000 lbs pin weight and the tires will be swapped for a set with higher ratings than what is on the payload sticker negating that information. I will always be under the axle and tire capacity which it what really matters. 

14 hours ago, Mountain Super Duty said:

No physical changes to the truck, it will be built exactly the same as if it had an 11,300 sticker. I am pretty sure even the axle weight ratings on the sticker remain the same, just the GVWR number changes. The payload number will drop from ~4300 to ~3000 on the other sticker with tire information. The heaviest load I am likely to haul will have less than 3000 lbs pin weight and the tires will be swapped for a set with higher ratings than what is on the payload sticker negating that information. I will always be under the axle and tire capacity which it what really matters. 

but say for instance I get in a wreck with a 5th wheel and the hitch is 3k lbs but on the sticker payload says 2800 I’d be SOL wouldn’t I?

Even though the real payload is higher 

9 hours ago, Sirunify said:

but say for instance I get in a wreck with a 5th wheel and the hitch is 3k lbs but on the sticker payload says 2800 I’d be SOL wouldn’t I?

Even though the real payload is higher 

I have never heard of this actually happening. The payload rating is not law. I do not get this fear of being in an accident everybody seems to have, you all must crash a lot more than me. I drive 30k miles a year and have for decades, some years with a CDL I ran 3-4 times that. I have never had a wreck where this would have been an issue. NOBODY is checking this on an RV EVER unless you are pulling a 40 footer with a Ranger. Non issue in my book though there are plenty of weight police around with crazy scenarios and arguments that scare people into obeying a sticker on their truck. If you are within the weight ratings of the axles and the tires that is all that matters to the law. Heck I may just peel the tire info/payload sticker off like a tag off a mattress...  If you are concerned about insurance, read your policy, see if there is language like that in there. 

Edited by Mountain Super Duty