'10,000/9,900 GVWR Package'

1 hour ago, Mountain Super Duty said:

I have never heard of this actually happening. The payload rating is not law. I do not get this fear of being in an accident everybody seems to have, you all must crash a lot more than me. I drive 30k miles a year and have for decades, some years with a CDL I ran 3-4 times that. I have never had a wreck where this would have been an issue. NOBODY is checking this on an RV EVER unless you are pulling a 40 footer with a Ranger. Non issue in my book though there are plenty of weight police around with crazy scenarios and arguments that scare people into obeying a sticker on their truck. If you are within the weight ratings of the axles and the tires that is all that matters to the law. Heck I may just peel the tire info/payload sticker off like a tag off a mattress...  If you are concerned about insurance, read your policy, see if there is language like that in there. 

I don’t mind the driving since I work on power lines so we haul 60’ poles all the time but just new to the whole personal towing and legalities 

Good info to know thanks

1 hour ago, Sirunify said:

I don’t mind the driving since I work on power lines so we haul 60’ poles all the time but just new to the whole personal towing and legalities 

Good info to know thanks

Running commercial is a whole different ballgame for sure. Commercial is heavily regulated as you know. The RV industry has much better lobbyists than the trucking industry, RV's get away with all kinds of exemptions not applicable to commercial. I held a class A CDL for a couple of decades. My son just got his, I am well aware of the restrictions and that is why my truck is coming with a 10k sticker.

I actually tried to look this up on my insurance policy and can find no mention of situations where being over payload is somehow a reason to deny a claim. I have seen lots of claims about this over the years but never a substantiated incident. When you ask for one, nobody can provide it. It gets debated often and I am open to limiting my activities if a substantial risk does exist. I can not find compelling proof that the insurance company or law enforcement are considering this. Always good to do some digging before deciding which side you want to err to. I am perfectly comfortable with my stance and actions regarding the subject. I understand others prefer a different approach and that is fine. I just do not like the guys who haven't really done the research claiming the sky is falling, that gets ridiculous. I see a thread here was recently closed over this behavior.

5 hours ago, Mountain Super Duty said:

Running commercial is a whole different ballgame for sure. Commercial is heavily regulated as you know. The RV industry has much better lobbyists than the trucking industry, RV's get away with all kinds of exemptions not applicable to commercial. I held a class A CDL for a couple of decades. My son just got his, I am well aware of the restrictions and that is why my truck is coming with a 10k sticker.

I actually tried to look this up on my insurance policy and can find no mention of situations where being over payload is somehow a reason to deny a claim. I have seen lots of claims about this over the years but never a substantiated incident. When you ask for one, nobody can provide it. It gets debated often and I am open to limiting my activities if a substantial risk does exist. I can not find compelling proof that the insurance company or law enforcement are considering this. Always good to do some digging before deciding which side you want to err to. I am perfectly comfortable with my stance and actions regarding the subject. I understand others prefer a different approach and that is fine. I just do not like the guys who haven't really done the research claiming the sky is falling, that gets ridiculous. I see a thread here was recently closed over this behavior.

The one situation where insurance companies would get into the mess of if you were overweight or not would be an accident where clear fault could not be established.  Say in a situation where you were towing something and someone pulls out in front of you or makes a maneuver that you have to hit the brakes and cannot stop in time, impacting someone.  In that kind of scenario an insurance company for the party creating the situation but looking to avoid liability would say that the driver towing the trailer was overweight and that is why he couldn't stop in time, clearly had he been within the legal weight limits, he would have been able to stop and the whole situation would have been avoided.  So basically, anytime you are outside your limits you can incur some increased liability and also Ford could refuse to warranty certain parts if you were found to be towing over weight.

4 hours ago, Flying68 said:

The one situation where insurance companies would get into the mess of if you were overweight or not would be an accident where clear fault could not be established.  Say in a situation where you were towing something and someone pulls out in front of you or makes a maneuver that you have to hit the brakes and cannot stop in time, impacting someone.  In that kind of scenario an insurance company for the party creating the situation but looking to avoid liability would say that the driver towing the trailer was overweight and that is why he couldn't stop in time, clearly had he been within the legal weight limits, he would have been able to stop and the whole situation would have been avoided.  So basically, anytime you are outside your limits you can incur some increased liability and also Ford could refuse to warranty certain parts if you were found to be towing over weight.

Except payload is not legally defined. You need to be under the tires capacity GCVWR and axle rating. The payload rating everybody seems to want to quote and worry about with regards to pin weight simply doesn't matter. Again, show me where this has actually happened. I understand people love these hypotheticals but show me the guy that got screwed because of what you describe. My contention is that this doesn't happen, ever.

12 hours ago, Mountain Super Duty said:

Except payload is not legally defined. You need to be under the tires capacity GCVWR and axle rating. The payload rating everybody seems to want to quote and worry about with regards to pin weight simply doesn't matter. Again, show me where this has actually happened. I understand people love these hypotheticals but show me the guy that got screwed because of what you describe. My contention is that this doesn't happen, ever.

Payload is simply GVWR - Curb Weight (when it left the factory), so your payload can vary if you have added or subtracted anything to/from the vehicle.  You cannot exceed GVWR, GCVWR, tire ratings or axle ratings.  Exceeding any of those can open you up to negligence lawsuits in the event of an accident (your insurance will not cover that).  Do what you want, but if you have an accident, and your trailer was over the max tow rating, or your pin weight put your truck over the GVWR, good luck, hope you have a good defense attorney.

11 hours ago, Flying68 said:

Payload is simply GVWR - Curb Weight (when it left the factory), so your payload can vary if you have added or subtracted anything to/from the vehicle.  You cannot exceed GVWR, GCVWR, tire ratings or axle ratings.  Exceeding any of those can open you up to negligence lawsuits in the event of an accident (your insurance will not cover that).  Do what you want, but if you have an accident, and your trailer was over the max tow rating, or your pin weight put your truck over the GVWR, good luck, hope you have a good defense attorney.

So simply engaging in more unsubstantiated fear mongering. Please provide and example of this happening if you are insistent on continuing to make the claim. It is all hypothetical, it doesn't happen.

I used to have a business where we ran hot shot style trucks. I had a driver rear end a car, which pushed into yet another car. There was never an investigation into the GVWR of the truck hauling the load, a Chevy 2500 pulling a 36 foot gooseneck. Insurance paid the claims no questions asked, no lawyers, no lawsuits, no problem. See, just like that, actual experience. 

I also find it absolutely comical that you can claim to tell me what my insurance company will or will not cover. Have you read my policy? I have... I see no such language that substantiates your claims. Maybe provide me the name of your insurance carrier and show me where in your policy this language exists. Maybe I am wrong but you have yet to show that is the case. Should be simple if this is as set in stone as you seem to want to claim. I mean it should be simple, I have seen this claimed many times, I have never had someone come up with an actual case or any proof of what you are saying.

1 hour ago, Mountain Super Duty said:

I also find it absolutely comical that you can claim to tell me what my insurance company will or will not cover. Have you read my policy? I have... I see no such language that substantiates your claims. Maybe provide me the name of your insurance carrier and show me where in your policy this language exists. Maybe I am wrong but you have yet to show that is the case. Should be simple if this is as set in stone as you seem to want to claim. I mean it should be simple, I have seen this claimed many times, I have never had someone come up with an actual case or any proof of what you are saying.

You've made your point 7 or 8 times already.  Let it go.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, akirby said:

You've made your point 7 or 8 times already.  Let it go.

It doesn't bother you guys that people come on your forum and spread this dis-information? I have yet another true story showing this doesn't happen if you would like to hear that one too...

53 minutes ago, Mountain Super Duty said:

It doesn't bother you guys that people come on your forum and spread this dis-information? I have yet another true story showing this doesn't happen if you would like to hear that one too...

They said that it’s POSSIBLE and it’s absolutely possible that someone would sue or deny coverage over it whether it has happened or not.  That’s not misinformation.

So they’re right that it’s possible and you’re probably right that there isn’t a documented case of it happening.  You both made valid points so there is no need to keep making the same valid points over and over and over.  

1 hour ago, akirby said:

They said that it’s POSSIBLE and it’s absolutely possible that someone would sue or deny coverage over it whether it has happened or not.  That’s not misinformation.

So they’re right that it’s possible and you’re probably right that there isn’t a documented case of it happening.  You both made valid points so there is no need to keep making the same valid points over and over and over.  

By that logic ANYTHING is POSSIBLE right? You could be denied coverage because your non stock floor mat bunched up under the brake pedal and caused you to crash. I don't see the same type of nonsense posts railing against floor mats.  I guess the fear mongers just continue to get away with lies in our society today. Why should this place be any different? Why should actual experience count over hypothetical situations? I mean they should but, clearly we give a pass when they don't now...

23 minutes ago, Mountain Super Duty said:

By that logic ANYTHING is POSSIBLE right? You could be denied coverage because your non stock floor mat bunched up under the brake pedal and caused you to crash. I don't see the same type of nonsense posts railing against floor mats.  I guess the fear mongers just continue to get away with lies in our society today. Why should this place be any different? Why should actual experience count over hypothetical situations? I mean they should but, clearly we give a pass when they don't now...

Recommending that you follow the mfr guidelines is not fear mongering and since you ignored 2 requests to let it go you get a 2 week vacation.

• Like 3

Kind of rough.. the old boy was just having a heated argument wasn't rude or disrespectful, you can get kicked out of here for that? 

Lol 

I guess the internet it's kind of like real life now.

Back in the day we could fight at work and just go about our business and a day later shake hands and get back to normal. Now you raise your voice at somebody at work and you get unpaid mandatory leave for two weeks.?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

Kind of rough.. the old boy was just having a heated argument wasn't rude or disrespectful, you can get kicked out of here for that? .

Actually he was being rude with the fear mongering comments.  But that’s not why he was suspended.  We have a history of people arguing the same things over and over (me included) and it always turns nasty and distracts from the original topic.  So if a moderator asked that you drop it then you need to drop it or face consequences.  And he wasn’t kicked out just suspended from posting for 2 weeks.

• Like 2

I think the issue is that the insurance companies are getting burned by people who buy something like a dually pickup, insure it as their personal transportation, then hook on a trailer and haul freight "for hire" all over the country and maybe get into a million dollar crash. Same with the people who do deliveries with their van, etc.. So in their crude way the insurance companies are trying to cut their exposure by refusing to insure pickups over a certain GVW, cargo vans, etc.. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, GearheadGrrrl said:

I think the issue is that the insurance companies are getting burned by people who buy something like a dually pickup, insure it as their personal transportation, then hook on a trailer and haul freight "for hire" all over the country and maybe get into a million dollar crash. Same with the people who do deliveries with their van, etc.. So in their crude way the insurance companies are trying to cut their exposure by refusing to insure pickups over a certain GVW, cargo vans, etc.. 

Friend of mine was hit by someone commercially hauling with personal insurance.  Insurance company refused to pay, and the driver declared bankruptcy.

• Like 1