NextGen Crew Cab rear legroom

HotRunrGuy

• 6 months later...

I was wondering the same thing. I haven't found anything yet but I assume those specs will be released at some point for the ROW next gen Ranger. My guess is that since they did stretch the wheelbase 2" by moving the front axle forward that they could have also moved the front half of the cab forward enough to add some rear seat legroom. However, that would also mean that the engine compartment would have to shrink by a similar amount since the overall length of the truck supposedly has not changed.

Ford has also said that they increased the width and track by 2". Although they have said that allows for more width inside the bed I haven't seen any official mention of any added interior width. You would assume that has been done as well but those numbers are strangely absent from all of the Ford info that has been released so far, or at least what I have seen so far. As I recall, the cab of the current truck is a bit narrower than most of the competition so you would think that if Ford actually added interior width (and length) they would at least mention that in their specs but so far all they seem to be focused on is upgrades to the center display and other technologies.

I'm also hoping someone will eventually come up with a comparison of new to old interior dimensions.

This may sound a bit off the wall but my personal preference would have been for Ford to take a similar approach to the North American mid-size market as Stellantis did with the Gladiator. Ford could have given us a Bronco pickup and left the Ranger to go about its merry way for other markets. That way the Ranger would not have to be compromised so as to not compete directly with the F-150 in our market. I doubt as many buyers would cross shop a Bronco pickup against the F-150 as they would a Ranger and even if they did the profit margins would be more similar. That also would have made it simpler and more efficient for MAP to build more similar SUVs and pickups in the same plant instead of having to build two fairly different vehicles, one of which is taking up production capabilities of a more upscale offering. With the addition of the Maverick to the NA market that approach would have made even more sense. You want a small, efficient truck - buy a Maverick. You want a more capable truck with more room and the ability to tow bigger trailers and haul more weight - buy an F-series. You want a more off-road capable and stylish mid-size truck with lots of options - buy a Bronco pickup. But instead we will probably continue to get the red-headed stepchild that's afraid to step on his big brother's toes.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/4/2022 at 9:03 AM, blksn8k2 said:

You want a small, efficient truck - buy a Maverick. You want a more capable truck with more room and the ability to tow bigger trailers and haul more weight - buy an F-series. You want a more off-road capable and stylish mid-size truck with lots of options - buy a Bronco pickup. But instead we will probably continue to get the red-headed stepchild that's afraid to step on his big brother's toes.

I see your reasoning, but the sales numbers aren't in agreement. Tacoma is outselling all of the other mid size trucks by a wide margin,  as F-150 is doing vs its competition. It doesn't appear to me that Ford is fretting that Ranger will seriously dent F Series in NA. Ford will be offering a more off-road capable Ranger Raptor as well as other niche trims, like Splash & Tremor to expand Ranger's market share in NA, while keeping its "stock" trims. I think this is a more prudent approach for the time being, rather than moving the whole product to a rugged basis like Gladiator. Resources are being vacuumed up for electrification these days, but I bet that there are rough drafts for a F-Series derived Bronco and a short, T6- Bronco pickup in a drawer somewhere,  just in case.

• 4 months later...
On 6/12/2021 at 7:43 AM, HotRunrGuy said:

Now that the smaller Maverick has been revealed, with more rear seat legroom, are we thinking that the next generation cab might be stretched a bit, and add a couple of inches?

HRG

Bringing this back up, have we ever seen ROW specifications to see if there's a Gen5 vs Gen6 difference, that might apply to NA?