Ford Escape PHEV Only in Titanium Trim????

The first Ford Escape PHEV has been delivered to my area (STL, MO - US) and to my delight it was delivered to the exact dealership from whom, after much research i wanted to purchase my new SEV (they offer a 10 year extended warranty and free service for the 2 years). Having previously reached out to them with my interest in Escape PHEV they contacted me last week while still in the process "unwrapping" the newly delivered SUV with the news. I was excited to hear that the PHEVs were finally being delivered but was uncertain this was Escape for me after reviewing a copy of the window sticker and determining it was a Titanium plus every possible bell and whistle. During previous research I determined that I was interested in the SEL + 360 but decided  I checked the description for the 2020/21 Escape PHEV on the ford.com website (as I have many many times in past) to reviewed the  Escape standard equipment. Based on that research I decided to wait until a SEL was available. I received a text this morning from the dealership asking if I "still want(ed) this car?" and responded that I was real looking for a PHEV with SEL trim. The salesman responded that the Escape PHEV would only be available in Titanium trim. When I referenced the information provide on the Ford website, he abruptly and in my opinion rudely ended the conversation. I am very disappointed in this representative of Ford and the company in general, especially if after the long wait for the Escape (some of which was not fully their fault) they are also falsely advertising the trim available for the SUV on their website. 

I have personally never owned a non-American made car on advise given to me many years ago by my father and I have always personally preferred Ford products.  However,  sadly based on this experience and my previous attempts to purchase a new Fusion PHEV dating back to 2019 I may have no other option.  

Does anyone know if the Ford Escape PHEV only being sold in Titanium trim in the US? If so, why does the Ford.com website indicate it will be sold in SE, SEL, and Titanium trim? 

Edited by choskj55

Hello choskj55 sir, Ford Escape PHEV is available in SE, SEL, and Titanium trims. Your salesman's statement that "Escape PHEV would only be available in Titanium trim" is false.  

As you mentioned, it looks like Dave Sinclair Ford in St. Louis is the first dealership in the U.S. to have an Escape PHEV shown with actual vehicle photos on its website.

5a9038267c49fae741bc02140d7c932c.jpg

Scarsdale Ford in New York has a couple Escape PHEV SEL according to its website, but no photos. 2021 Ford Escape SEL Plug-In Hybrid in Scarsdale, NY | New York Ford Escape | Scarsdale Ford

To the OP, you're probably aware that there is a significant chip shortage affecting the auto industry right now. In Ford's case, the shortage has meant temporary closing of multiple plants and thousands of units of lost production. Because of this ongoing issue, Ford (and all other manufacturers) are targeting the limited amount of chips they receive to their highest margin products. It's the most reasonable business decision to make under the circumstances - the manufacturers need to maximize revenue during this time in which their overall revenue producing capability has been significantly reduced.

It's possible (maybe even likely) that under the current circumstances, Ford has decided that when it is able to produce Escape PHEV, it will produce the Titanium model for the reasons described above. Given that under normal circumstances, Ford have announced that the PHEV would be available in the trims you mentioned, the most logical explanation for what you are observing and what the dealer is claiming is the situation described above. 

Hopefully once the chip situation is resolved, the Escape PHEV will be available in all the trims you described. Until then, don't be surprised at extremely limited availability and only as a Titanium.

Edited by Harley Lover
  • Like 1

In the old days (1990's) ordering a car, particularly with the Big 3, was commonplace. Todays dealerships seem more reluctant to place orders. In light of current conditions, might be time to go back to the practice. In any case fulfilling orders depends on availability of  components. Back in the day had a car delayed for anti lock brakes. Not sure how priorities are working today. Some are delaying higher lines since more electronics are needed. There may be a priority to higher profit higher lines. Either way an honest dealer should  tell you where you stand.

16 hours ago, paintguy said:

In the old days (1990's) ordering a car, particularly with the Big 3, was commonplace. Todays dealerships seem more reluctant to place orders. 

Ive never had a problem ordering a vehicle.  Some salespeople will push you to stock vehicles but if you say I’m going to order one I can’t imagine they would say no.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, akirby said:

Ive never had a problem ordering a vehicle.  Some salespeople will push you to stock vehicles but if you say I’m going to order one I can’t imagine they would say no.

I had no trouble ordering a new Ford last year. I considered 3 different Ford dealers and neither had a problem with it. I only ended up buying one in stock after Ford closed all its plants due to Covid. Now maybe it's different if you don't have A,Z, orX Plan, but I doubt it. 

All three Ford dealers I considered were very friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend Mullinax in Apopka, FL, Prestige Ford in Mt. Dora, FL, and Key Scales in Fruitland Park, FL. All three offer 24 hr. test drives, open 7 days/ week, and deliver the vehicle free of charge anywhere in state. And Mullinax has no dealer fees.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

All three Ford dealers I considered were very friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend Mullinax in Apopka, FL, Prestige Ford in Mt. Dora, FL, and Key Scales in Fruitland Park, FL. All three offer 24 hr. test drives, open 7 days/ week, and deliver the vehicle free of charge anywhere in state. And Mullinax has no dealer fees.

Which one did you use?