Lincoln to introduce 4 new battery electric vehicles starting next year

Lincoln is following the buzz of Ford Motor Co.'s Capital Markets Day last month with plans to introduce four new battery-electric vehicles around its anchor products by the end of the decade — with the first coming next year.

Unlike General Motors Co.'s Cadillac, which has said it will sell only EVs by 2030, there still will be internal combustion engine and plug-in hybrid vehicles for certain Lincoln models by then, spokeswoman Anika Salceda-Wycoco said. But Lincoln will be adopting the new technology ahead of some other Ford vehicles. The Dearborn automaker has said 40% of its lineup will be electrified by the end of the decade.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/ford/2021/06/16/lincoln-introduce-four-new-battery-electric-vehicles-starting-next-year/7693304002/

a6ae036a-7fb7-4057-94bc-ce80bb0e3915-Fut

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From Auto News, interesting tidbits, but somewhat bereft of much hard info, other than the first model debuts next year. We can infer Ford sister products from what is being announced:

Lincoln Motor Co. plans to expand its lineup in the U.S. and introduce four new battery-electric products by 2030 as it transitions to an electrified portfolio to match its luxury rivals.

In that future lineup, Lincoln will offer four battery-electric vehicles on Ford's new rear-wheel-drive/all-wheel-drive EV architecture in both North America and China, with the first set to debut next year. Lincoln President Joy Falotico said that EV would be a new nameplate and an addition to the brand's North America lineup, although she declined to say how much further Lincoln planned to grow beyond the four nameplates it offers now in North America.

Officials declined to say which current nameplates would go fully electric, though Ford CEO Jim Farley mentioned an EV Aviator crossover at last month's capital markets day presentationAutomotive News has previously reported that Lincoln is planning a Nautilus-sized EV crossover for the 2023 model year as well as an EV version of the Corsair.

Car and Driver claim that the entire lineup will be EV by 2030. They also shared some design details:

With a design inspired by the Zephyr Reflection concept car, the future Lincoln SUV is said to represent the brand's new design language. The new model will be roughly the size of the current Aviator but will have a distinct design to distinguish it from its gas-powered stablemate. An LED lighting setup stretches across the SUV's grille and extends into the headlamps; inside, a large digital display stretches the entirety of the vehicle's dashboard.

This new Lincoln will ride on a new battery-electric architecture that can accommodate both rear- and all-wheel-drive arrangements. 

From C/D and Auto News:

lincoln-sketch-interior-space-copy-16237

LincolnTease-MAIN_i.jpg

https://www.autonews.com/cars-concepts/lincoln-offer-4-all-electric-models-2030

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a36728998/lincoln-future-electric-vehicle-plans-revealed/

• Thanks 1

so Lincoln's blue cruise is going to be called ActiveGlide:

Soon, the brand will build on its comprehensive suite of advanced driver-assist features with the introduction of Lincoln ActiveGlide hands-free highway driving technology. Using advanced camera, radar and driver monitoring technologies, Lincoln ActiveGlide will allow a driver to operate hands-free on prequalified sections of divided highways called Hands-Free Blue Zones.

11 minutes ago, joseodiaga4 said:

Soon, the brand will build on its comprehensive suite of advanced driver-assist features with the introduction of Lincoln ActiveGlide hands-free highway driving technology. Using advanced camera, radar and driver monitoring technologies, Lincoln ActiveGlide will allow a driver to operate hands-free on prequalified sections of divided highways called Hands-Free Blue Zones.

Certainly sounds better than blue cruise lol

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Black Label said:

Are a lot of people demanding electric vehicles to drive this sort of announcement? I know I'm not. 

in the next 9 years they will. Lots of mandates from governments coming down.  

The issue is that the auto industry has to plan its work 5-10 years into the future. 

BEVs are cheaper to make because they have less parts in them, but on the flip side battery tech isn't quite there yet for some people and that is driving high costs. ICE costs are pretty fixed, but there also isn't a huge jump in gas/performance around the corner either. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bzcat said:

4 BEV is obviously replacements for Corsair, Nautilus, Aviator, and MKZ/Continental (Zephyr) 

I'm sure Lincoln will keep the existing ICE version of the SUVs in production for as long as they need to be.

I hope Lincoln does something more interesting than just replacing their 4 ICE SUVs/crossovers with 4 BEV SUVs/crossovers. And so far, there's no word from Lincoln that they will actually be bringing the Zephyr, which is being targeted at the China market where luxury sedans sell well, to North America.

• Like 1

As others have mentioned Blue Cruise has bad connotations. I can think of Blue Streak, Blue laws, old timey "Blue movies" But then then there is the Blues Brothers, St. Louis Blues, Blues Music, and Blue Bloods. Good to see some new electrics from Lincoln. For the next trick, super fast charging stations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Black Label said:

Are a lot of people demanding electric vehicles to drive this sort of announcement? 

Tesla's success since the introduction of Model S in 2012 indicates there is a lot of pent up demand for premium electric vehicles from an American company.

Lincoln's announcement today, combined with Cadillac's BEV related announcements last year, makes me confident that the transition of those 2 brands to 100% electric vehicles will bring newfound respect to American luxury cars. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Tesla's success since the introduction of Model S in 2012 indicates there is a lot of pent up demand for premium electric vehicles from an American company.

Lincoln's announcement today, combined with Cadillac's BEV related announcements last year, makes me confident that the transition of those 2 brands to 100% electric vehicles will bring newfound respect to American luxury cars. 

Hopefully

• Like 1

4 hours ago, joseodiaga4 said:

I'd have called it "StarCruise"  or "StarGlide" - ties into the brand/star logo better.

It'll be interesting to see if they just go the "checkbox" routine of just BEV versions of existing products, or if they're actual unique products.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I'd have called it "StarCruise"  or "StarGlide" - ties into the brand/star logo better.

It'll be interesting to see if they just go the "checkbox" routine of just BEV versions of existing products, or if they're actual unique products.

Hope they make unique products. I think there is space to grow, specially if we compare how many suvs/cuvs the germans have

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, joseodiaga4 said:

Hope they make unique products. I think there is space to grow, specially if we compare how many suvs/cuvs the germans have

I do think they (Germans) can have too many.....BUT, I do agree Lincoln needs more models.

49 minutes ago, akirby said:

Those are pretty much the same thing now.

Right but there are some differences. Would be nice if it was the actual model, I’m doubting it will actually roll out next year but would be pleasantly surprised if it does. 

6 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

I hope Lincoln does something more interesting than just replacing their 4 ICE SUVs/crossovers with 4 BEV SUVs/crossovers. And so far, there's no word from Lincoln that they will actually be bringing the Zephyr, which is being targeted at the China market where luxury sedans sell well, to North America.

Motor1.com thinks that one of the four will be a sedan: First Lincoln EV Teased, Coming In 2022 (motor1.com)

This would match Cadillac, who has already announced that one of theirs WILL be a sedan.

Edited by AGR

10 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

From Auto News, interesting tidbits, but somewhat bereft of much hard info, other than the first model debuts next year. We can infer Ford sister products from what is being announced:

Car and Driver claim that the entire lineup will be EV by 2030. They also shared some design details:

From C/D and Auto News:

lincoln-sketch-interior-space-copy-16237

LincolnTease-MAIN_i.jpg

https://www.autonews.com/cars-concepts/lincoln-offer-4-all-electric-models-2030

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a36728998/lincoln-future-electric-vehicle-plans-revealed/

I wonder is that front end a hint we WILL get the Zephyr, but it'll be BEV?