Lincoln to introduce 4 new battery electric vehicles starting next year

4 hours ago, jpd80 said:

So basically one new BEV Lincoln every two years, that sounds both unremarkable and typical of how Ford treats Lincoln.

agree, not as fast as Lincoln needs IMO. I mean they just have a small lineup, all the other luxury brands have at least 2-3 more models

10 hours ago, Black Label said:

Are a lot of people demanding electric vehicles to drive this sort of announcement? I know I'm not. 

Having driven my Mach-E for less than a week I can honestly say my Edge will likely be my last ICE vehicle I’ll own. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joseodiaga4 said:

I hope so, IMO Lincoln needs a sedan, all the luxury brands have a least one 

(if we don't count Land Rover ?)

Agreed.  I think if they were to build the Zephyr Reflection concepit would sell here. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I wonder is that front end a hint we WILL get the Zephyr, but it'll be BEV?

Anything is possible, but: "With a design inspired by the Zephyr Reflection concept car, the future Lincoln SUV is said to represent the brand's new design language. The new model will be roughly the size of the current Aviator but will have a distinct design to distinguish it from its gas-powered stablemate. An LED lighting setup stretches across the SUV's grille and extends into the headlamps; inside, a large digital display stretches the entirety of the vehicle's dashboard."

This front end is from the SUV, but inspired by the concept car. Same as its tail light treatment.

IMO, Lincoln trying to sell a sedan here is a waste of time and money. In China, different story.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, falconlover 1 said:

No.   No sedans for USA.  Maybe one of the four EVs will be a sedan, but only for China. 

I think they would do a sedan as the 4th EV before they would do a Navigator EV just because of platform size and battery capacity/range.   I don’t see room for 4 SUVs below full size once you get past Corsair, Nautilus and Aviator.

I think it’s easier to do an EV sedan off the skateboard and it would support higher ATPs than MKZ and get some of those sedan lovers back in the fold.

39 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

.IMO, Lincoln trying to sell a sedan here is a waste of time and money. In China, different story.

Selling a sedan instead of a similar sized SUV would be stupid.  But adding a sedan might make sense if the engineering is easier because of the skateboard and it can share almost everything with the SUVs and it has much higher ATPs.  It would be RWD/AWD and would support high performance and therefore high ATPs.

Just saying the business case is a lot easier than ICE sedans.

13 hours ago, sullynd said:

Having driven my Mach-E for less than a week I can honestly say my Edge will likely be my last ICE vehicle I’ll own. 

11 hours ago, Black Label said:

Interesting. Why do you say that? 

Black Label sir, of course sullynd will provide the definitive answer from his perspective. :) I did want to add that like sullynd, my wife and I ordered a Mustang Mach-E. Ours is still on hold and hasn't been delivered to the dealership yet. However, I have owned a Tesla Model S for a couple years and the superiority of BEV over ICE for performance, efficiency, smoothness, and the ability to easily "fuel" at home convinced my family to make our '19 Ford Ranger (which we use for our business) the last ICE powered car or truck we will ever own.

I hope that a BEV Lincoln sedan is available in the U.S. market eventually. It it does materialize, that could be the car that replaces my Model S a decade or so from now.

Edited by rperez817

3 hours ago, akirby said:

I think they would do a sedan as the 4th EV before they would do a Navigator EV just because of platform size and battery capacity/range.   I don’t see room for 4 SUVs below full size once you get past Corsair, Nautilus and Aviator.

I think it’s easier to do an EV sedan off the skateboard and it would support higher ATPs than MKZ and get some of those sedan lovers back in the fold.

EV version of Navigator based on the TE1 platform of next gen F-150 Lightning is surely a slamdunk project already approved.

I also think Lincoln will try to find a way to reuse the Continental name. Imagine a super lux version of next gen EV Aviator with suicide doors and back seat pushed way back (no 3rd row) to maximize cabin space. That's how you elevate the brand... another sedan won't move the needle for Lincoln. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, akirby said:

Selling a sedan instead of a similar sized SUV would be stupid.  But adding a sedan might make sense if the engineering is easier because of the skateboard and it can share almost everything with the SUVs and it has much higher ATPs.  It would be RWD/AWD and would support high performance and therefore high ATPs.

All true as far as it goes, but a sedan in the U.S. market is DOA. How many billion$ did Cadillac piss away in the last decade to prove the point?

On the other hand, Ford will have 2 different EV chassis options to produce a Navigator class vehicle - I think they're going to choose one or the other for the U.S. market. Again, China is a different story.

24 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

All true as far as it goes, but a sedan in the U.S. market is DOA. How many billion$ did Cadillac piss away in the last decade to prove the point?

Big difference in ICE sedans vs BEVs.  Caddy developed expensive bespoke (or almost bespoke) platforms with multiple models.

This would be one model built on a shared skateboard with shared powertrains in the same factory.  High performance RWD/AWD is already built in to the platform.  It would provide added volume and platform amortization with high ATPs for very little incremental cost.  It can also be shared with China and other countries.  Also the BEV sedan market isn’t very crowded right now.   Tesla sold 4K model S last quarter and Porsche sold 2K Taycans.

It’s certainly not a must have especially if there are other projects for those resources.  I just don’t see a BEV Navigator in phase 1 but I could be completely wrong.  I think the weight and 3rd row seats would limit battery range and you don’t have the commercial appeal of F150 and Transit BEVs.

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

another sedan won't move the needle for Lincoln. 

A liftback/fastback type BEV with styling elements from the Zephyr Reflection could bring Lincoln some newfound respect from customers in the U.S. and China.

Edited by rperez817

2 hours ago, bzcat said:

EV version of Navigator based on the TE1 platform of next gen F-150 Lightning is surely a slamdunk project already approved.

I also think Lincoln will try to find a way to reuse the Continental name. Imagine a super lux version of next gen EV Aviator with suicide doors and back seat pushed way back (no 3rd row) to maximize cabin space. That's how you elevate the brand... another sedan won't move the needle for Lincoln. 

Unfortunately, I think that was what the canceled Continental flagship suv was supposed to be. 

5 hours ago, akirby said:

5 hours ago, akirby said:

These are where my thinking was at - a BEV sedan only becomes a reality because of the scalable battery platform, basically as a "unique" tophat.

2 hours ago, bzcat said:

Well, they did have that Rivian one that was apparently to be branded Continental - I still wish we'd have seen it.

1 hour ago, Harley Lover said:

On the other hand, Ford will have 2 different EV chassis options to produce a Navigator class vehicle - I think they're going to choose one or the other for the U.S. market. Again, China is a different story.

I think there's room for one large midsize sedan in the lineup.  The full size S-class/Continental type is a no go, but a smaller one I think has enough of a market to do well.  And give it premium BEV pricing and they won't lose money on it.  Throw it into Flat Rock which can't build bigger products/SUVs anyway to give it more utilization.

4 hours ago, bzcat said:

All the talk about using  Rivian seems to be fading in the rear vision mirror, especially now that Ford commits to TE1. They might use Rivian on a vehicle or two but I find it comical that Ford goes full circle on its plans….

Hopefully BEV Navigator and Aviator can be codeveloped  and delivered with huge savings….

Edited by jpd80