Tonneau cover

rjdiv

So I’ve got a 2022 F-350 Platinum on order and have been looking at add-ons for it.  What experiences do you guys have with the various retractable tonneau covers?  Which ones do you like or which ones to stay away from?  Thanks for the help!

Edited by rjdiv

While it folds rather than rolls, I've decided to go with the Extang Trifecta Signature 2.0.  It looks to be high quality, with bows underneath the canvas, which should shed water better, and is made of canvas, rather than vinyl.  Extang also makes true roll ups at a lower price point.  They all look like good products to me, and USA made.  I plan to order from RealTruck.com.

I ordered MY22 F450 Platinum with the Ford branded accessor tonneau cover.  this way since it’s originally ordered with the truck it’s warranted with Ford and for insurance reasons I don’t have to worry about it in case of a total loss since it was OEM upon delivery. Along with a few other things.

I don’t have my new Super Duty yet but have done a lot of research and I ordered a Bak revolver X4s. It sounds like they resolved any issues it had. A guy I work with had the older version on his truck and he loves it other then the issue with the felt backing falling off in the summer heat.

• Like 1

I didn't go with Ford's branded products, bed liner and tonneau cover mainly because I felt it could slow down the time to receive the truck.  Not sure how true that is.  I think I'll go with a Retrax.  Has anyone looked into lead time for the aftermarket stuff.  The dealer is estimating mid-September for me to receive the truck so it'd be good to have the aftermarket stuff waiting.  Might have to order the stuff in July to have it available in September. 

1 hour ago, Paragon said:

I didn't go with Ford's branded products, bed liner and tonneau cover mainly because I felt it could slow down the time to receive the truck.  Not sure how true that is.  I think I'll go with a Retrax.  Has anyone looked into lead time for the aftermarket stuff.  The dealer is estimating mid-September for me to receive the truck so it'd be good to have the aftermarket stuff waiting.  Might have to order the stuff in July to have it available in September. 

I haven’t heard of anyone’s being held up because of tonneau covers, but who really knows. Browsing the various forums I have seen people reporting that they still got scheduled with tonneaus’, bed liners, console safes, etc… I did add a hard folding tonneau cover to my order and don’t have a schedule date, but mine is also an XLT with the HCTT and the UTT package so that’s for sure holding mine up. 

I did consider removing it just in case it would hold things up, and because I wonder how good the Ford branded cover will be… I am wanting a Bakflip so I can use the Bakbox with it, and the Ford branded one looks like it may be a rebranded Bakflip, but I can’t k ow for sure. 

13 minutes ago, chadstickpoindexter said:

I haven’t heard of anyone’s being held up because of tonneau covers, but who really knows. Browsing the various forums I have seen people reporting that they still got scheduled with tonneaus’, bed liners, console safes, etc… I did add a hard folding tonneau cover to my order and don’t have a schedule date, but mine is also an XLT with the HCTT and the UTT package so that’s for sure holding mine up. 

I did consider removing it just in case it would hold things up, and because I wonder how good the Ford branded cover will be… I am wanting a Bakflip so I can use the Bakbox with it, and the Ford branded one looks like it may be a rebranded Bakflip, but I can’t k ow for sure. 

I thought I read somewhere the spray-in bedliner was done off site of the Ford plant so "might" add a bit of time to your build.  The tonneau I'm not sure about.

49 minutes ago, Paragon said:

I thought I read somewhere the spray-in bedliner was done off site of the Ford plant so "might" add a bit of time to your build.  The tonneau I'm not sure about.

The spray-in bedliner is done off-site and adds about a week to the production process. It's sometimes a commodity issue for scheduling but noted in the scheduling notes when it's a factor for scheduling. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

The spray-in bedliner is done off-site and adds about a week to the production process. It's sometimes a commodity issue for scheduling but noted in the scheduling notes when it's a factor for scheduling. 

Thanks that's what I thought.  I didn't think it'd mess with the scheduling that much but would cost about a week in getting the truck.  Of course as much as we're waiting a week isn't that big of a deal....for me anyway.  

• Like 1

@ice-capades do you happen to know which retractable tonneau cover comes as the factory installed option?  I've figured out that it's a re-branded Retrax, but they make both the PRO MX and also the PRO XR which has the T-rail system for using Thule cargo racks.  The Ford Accessories website allows you to buy either as a dealer option, but the Build & Price on Ford's website does not specify which one is factory optioned.  Any insight you might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated as it's much cheaper to purchase as factory option with X-Plan compared to buying the Retrax branded one third party.

16 minutes ago, Quigs said:

@ice-capades do you happen to know which retractable tonneau cover comes as the factory installed option?  I've figured out that it's a re-branded Retrax, but they make both the PRO MX and also the PRO XR which has the T-rail system for using Thule cargo racks.  The Ford Accessories website allows you to buy either as a dealer option, but the Build & Price on Ford's website does not specify which one is factory optioned.  Any insight you might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated as it's much cheaper to purchase as factory option with X-Plan compared to buying the Retrax branded one third party.

Sorry... can't help you with that.

9 hours ago, Quigs said:

do you happen to know which retractable tonneau cover comes as the factory installed option?  I've figured out that it's a re-branded Retrax, but they make both the PRO MX and also the PRO XR which has the T-rail system for using Thule cargo racks.  The Ford Accessories website allows you to buy either as a dealer option, but the Build & Price on Ford's website does not specify which one is factory optioned.  Any insight you might be able to provide would be greatly appreciated as it's much cheaper to purchase as factory option with X-Plan compared to buying the Retrax branded one third party.

According to 2 posters on this thread, it's the same as the Retrax Pro XR with the t-rails.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2021 at 3:43 AM, Skyler.WA said:

According to 2 posters on this thread, it's the same as the Retrax Pro XR with the t-rails.

I did see that thread, but I was hoping for further verification.  So far it's been about 50/50 through Google searching on MX vs XR, mostly because most people just don't seem to know/recognize the difference or didn't even know there is more than one model.  They just ordered the one from Ford for the Easy Button and because it looked cool and don't even realize that the one they have might work with a storage rack system.  It's been far from definitive as the people who say it's the XR unfortunately don't post pictures for me to verify.  Most of the time people just say "yeah, I got the one from Ford and it's great" and that's it haha.  I just don't want to gamble and end up with the MX for some reason when I'm planning on making use of the XR rail system.

On 6/24/2021 at 12:19 PM, Tremordreaming said:

I don’t have my new Super Duty yet but have done a lot of research and I ordered a Bak revolver X4s. It sounds like they resolved any issues it had. A guy I work with had the older version on his truck and he loves it other then the issue with the felt backing falling off in the summer heat.

That's what I have on my F150. I'm 95% sure I'll go with it on my new 350. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Quigs said:

I did see that thread, but I was hoping for further verification.  So far it's been about 50/50 through Google searching on MX vs XR, mostly because most people just don't seem to know/recognize the difference or didn't even know there is more than one model.  They just ordered the one from Ford for the Easy Button and because it looked cool and don't even realize that the one they have might work with a storage rack system.  It's been far from definitive as the people who say it's the XR unfortunately don't post pictures for me to verify.  Most of the time people just say "yeah, I got the one from Ford and it's great" and that's it haha.  I just don't want to gamble and end up with the MX for some reason when I'm planning on making use of the XR rail system.

The picture on the add-ons screen showed the top with the rail system which made me just go ahead and grab it. Of course they could say it's different for the 22 year and I used the 21 year to build it.

Will know in a couple months...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, klinc said:

The picture on the add-ons screen showed the top with the rail system which made me just go ahead and grab it. Of course they could say it's different for the 22 year and I used the 21 year to build it.

Will know in a couple months...

I did notice that the picture showed the rails, and was going to make the same assumption and just go ahead and order it as well, but we all know how reliable stock pictures on the internet can be haha.  But that's what made me start researching to verify if it is indeed the XR since that's what was pictured.  I hope for both of our sakes it's the one as pictured!

I chatted with Ford Parts today and they were unable to find out and suggested I call Ford Marketing, so I will do that either tomorrow or Friday.  Once I get an answer (or not and just gamble on hoping the XR is the factory option) then I'll be able to finally get into the dealer and place the order for my truck.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...