2022 Toyota Tundra Thread

rmc523

13 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Strange that they'd do so many teases (interior and exterior thus far) 2 months out from showing it.

Yes sir, Toyota normally uses a more direct, "git r done" approach with its new vehicle introductions. The 2022 Tundra teasing stuff is pretty strange for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2021 at 8:19 PM, rmc523 said:

I am sure they have good resale, however those I personally know that have used Tundra's got them on the cheap. 11 mpg when every American V8 on the market can average 19-20 is not a strong selling point.

On 6/22/2021 at 8:19 PM, rmc523 said:
On 6/22/2021 at 8:07 PM, Azul said:

Keeps resale up vs. buying something that gets a refresh or full-on changeover every 2-3 years. IMO they didn't have much incentive to change, they've had consistent volume since launch despite the smaller market share (source: used to work for a tier 1 supplier).

11 hours ago, meyeste said:

I am sure they have good resale, however those I personally know that have used Tundra's got them on the cheap. 11 mpg when every American V8 on the market can average 19-20 is not a strong selling point.

Your friends got very, very luck if they got a Toyota Tundra "on the cheap". Usually-they command top dollar-even at 11mpg.  And you can get 10grand off sticker-but that's rare as well-and you got to work VERY HARD to obtain that discount.

Edited by CKNSLS
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

Your friends got very, very luck if they got a Toyota Tundra "on the cheap". Usually-they command top dollar-even at 11mpg.  And you can get 10grand off sticker-but that's rare as well-and you got to work VEY HARD to obtain that discount.

Yes sir CKNSLS. KBB reported that Toyota Tundra had the highest resale value of any car or light truck in the U.S. market in 2021. 10 Best Overall Resale Values of 2021: Cars, Trucks and SUVs | Kelley Blue Book (kbb.com)

meyeste's friends that have Toyota Tundras may actually be able to make a profit selling their trucks in the current market. Here in the DFW Metroplex, there are reports of used Tundras selling for more than their original MSRP because new ones have been so hard to find for well over a year now. 

Graph below is for July 2020, the days supply numbers for July 2021 for all pickup truck models are much lower.

June-2020-truck-full-size-truck-inventor 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Latest 2022 Toyota Tundra teaser pics are for the suspension. 

untitled-1-1628597627.jpg

I was considering an F-150 for my next truck. I am liking what I see with the Toyota-except for the Grill. We will have to wait to see what the grill looks like on the non-TRD version.  If discounts are going to be little (to non-existent) with the new "build to order" program with the F-150, then the Toyota becomes a contender-due to Toyota's traditional high resale value-if I'm paying sticker it's good to know I can get some of those monies back at trade in time.  

Edited by CKNSLS
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, CKNSLS said:

I was considering an F-150 for my next truck. I am liking what I see with the Toyota-except for the Grill. We will have to wait to see what the grill looks like on the non-TRD version.  If discounts are going to be little (to non-existent) with the new "build to order" program with the F-150, then the Toyota becomes a contender-due to Toyota's traditional high resale value-if I'm paying sticker it's good to know I can get some of those monies back at trade in time.  

Part of the high resale may be due go Tundra's low sales volume compared to the domestics and much lower incentives. Once Toyota starts pumping them out in Tundra only plant, that may change as the domestics offer up to $11,000 in rebates. Even now Ram is offering incentives up to $5,500. I personally would rather get the big rebate now rather than hope for high resale value later.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Part of the high resale may be due go Tundra's low sales volume compared to the domestics and much lower incentives. Once Toyota starts pumping them out in Tundra only plant, that may change as the domestics offer up to $11,000 in rebates. Even now Ram is offering incentives up to $5,500. I personally would rather get the big rebate now rather than hope for high resale value later.

Actually-I agree. If I can get $10,0000.00 off a F-150-I will buy one.  BUT-that doesn't seem to be what everybody is implying will happen-with build to order.  It's going to need to be that much-I don't think $5,000.00 will move the needle away from the Tundra, if I like what I see in the final product.  But-Toyota doesn't have anywhere near the capacity in Texas that you are referring too. And high resale value is a "given"-not a "hope".

Edited by CKNSLS
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CKNSLS said:

Actually-I agree. If I can get $10,0000.00 off a F-150-I will buy one.  BUT-that doesn't seem to be what everybody is implying will happen-with build to order.  It's going to need to be that much-I don't think $5,000.00 will move the needle away from the Tundra, if I like what I see in the final product.  But-Toyota doesn't have anywhere near the capacity in Texas that you are referring too. And high resale value is a "given"-not a "hope".

I thought Tacoma is moving to Mexico opening up the TX plant to Tundra only.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

I thought Tacoma is moving to Mexico opening up the TX plant to Tundra only.

Yes sir FordBuyer, you are correct. Toyota Tacomas have been assembled at the TMMBC plant in Baja California (near Tijuana) for 15 years. In 2020, Toyota's new plant in Guanajuato (TMMGT) started Tacoma production. By the end of 2021, Tacoma production at TMMTX in San Antonio will wind down, and all Tacomas will be assembled either at TMMBC or TMMGT.

TMMTX is being retooled for the 3rd generation Tundra. Also, production of Toyota Sequoia will be transferred from TMMI in Southwest Indiana to TMMTX in 2022.

Edited by rperez817

4 hours ago, CKNSLS said:

Why do you keep focusing on the discount?  Just take the selling price of each one when you’re ready to buy and compare them.  MSRP is a made up number.

Don’t particularly like that new front end...I don’t mind the current design, but I view a truck as more of a tool than a head turner…I have a 2012 tundra that we bought new. It has 170k without any trouble….feels like it has 10k miles. Gas mileage sucks. Need a bigger truck to pull a gooseneck horse trailer so I have an F350srw on order!

16 hours ago, akirby said:

Why do you keep focusing on the discount?  Just take the selling price of each one when you’re ready to buy and compare them.  MSRP is a made up number.

OK-Fair point. Let me put this another way. The Ford will have to be over $5,000.00 cheaper for me to buy it over the (possible) Tundra.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

OK-Fair point. Let me put this another way. The Ford will have to be over $5,000.00 cheaper for me to buy it over the (possible) Tundra.  

Ok that’s better but what is about the Tundra that you perceive to be worth $5k more than F150?

6 hours ago, akirby said:

Ok that’s better but what is about the Tundra that you perceive to be worth $5k more than F150?

Resale value and reliability.  For me-there is no debut on these two issues. I know guys that have Tundras-it's true they suck gas but are dead nuts reliable. The resale issue speaks in the facts-available to anyone.  The gas sucking aspect looks like it will be going away-and be on par with the competition-probably.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CKNSLS said:

Resale value and reliability.  For me-there is no debut on these two issues. I know guys that have Tundras-it's true they suck gas but are dead nuts reliable. The resale issue speaks in the facts-available to anyone.  The gas sucking aspect looks like it will be going away-and be on par with the competition-probably.

Funny you say that because if you google blown 5.7, you get a bunch of posts and youtube videos.

Every vehicle has issues and every vehicle theses days are far more reliable then they were 20 years ago.  IMO, gone is the day that Toyota and Honda are the most reliable vehicles on the road.  You sound like you are stuck in the past where oil changes were every 3.000 miles too.

I remember when I had my 02 Tacoma with the TRD supercharger on it.  Truck was awesome except for the constant pinging of the motor because of fuel starvation with the S/C during heavy acceleration.  Oh, then there was the 7th injector kit Toyota came out with that we had to buy ourselves to fix that problem to the tune of almost $1,000.. and it was a light switch, either on or off depending on fuel demand.  Ya.. go Toyota lol!!

Edited by blwnsmoke
  • Like 2

I think touting resale and reliability as a reason to buy one full sized truck over another is just rationalization.  There really isn’t a big difference nowadays in either one.  Buy the one you prefer based on price, styling, features, performance, brand preference, whatever.

5 hours ago, akirby said:

I think touting resale and reliability as a reason to buy one full sized truck over another is just rationalization. 

Toyota Tundra is the only full size LD pickup truck model with better than average reliability in Consumer Reports' latest survey. Most of the others are worse than average. That alone is a very good reason to choose a Tundra over pickup trucks from other manufacturers.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, there is a risk that the upcoming redesigned 3rd generation Tundra's reliability rating will decline compared to the current one. This happened to Toyota Tacoma when it was redesigned in 2016.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Toyota Tundra is the only full size LD pickup truck model with better than average reliability in Consumer Reports' latest survey. Most of the others are worse than average. That alone is a very good reason to choose a Tundra over pickup trucks from other manufacturers.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, there is a risk that the upcoming redesigned 3rd generation Tundra's reliability rating will decline compared to the current one. This happened to Toyota Tacoma when it was redesigned in 2016.

26E9958D-1418-4280-B54F-C86520B0971E.jpeg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Nothing CR says about vehicles is a reason to buy or not buy them.

• Like 2