2022 Toyota Tundra Thread

rmc523

3 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

Nothing CR says about vehicles is a reason to buy or not buy them.

Both automakers and consumers disagree with that statement. But even it were true and Consumer Reports didn't exist, CKNSLS is fully justified putting Toyota Tundra on his pickup truck shopping list based on that truck's historically class leading reliability and resale value. Sources other than CR confirm this. 

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Both automakers and consumers disagree with that statement. But even it were true and Consumer Reports didn't exist, CKNSLS is fully justified putting Toyota Tundra on his pickup truck shopping list based on that truck's historically class leading reliability and resale value. Sources other than CR confirm this. 

Automakers don't want any negative press period, regardless of who is publishing it.  Many consumers agree with my statement.

Gone are the times where the red, half red, clear, half black and black circles mean anything.  It has been said time and time again that vehicles these days are far more safer and reliable than 20 years ago. The difference in quality and reliability between that best and worst are far closer than the Hyundais vs the Hondas of the 80s.  

And even YOU pointed out that the Tundra has basically been the same truck and the all new redesign may take some hits in reviews and rankings for quality.  So how would it be fair to compare a very old truck vs vehicles that are constantly updated and changed?

You also have F series that sell 7 times the Tundra (2/3s are F150s) so you will obviously have more problems when you build 7 (5 for F150) times the amount.  So is that taken into account with CR when they publish their little circles?

Google away in 3... 2... 1...

PS - Not knocking the Tundra (I wouldn't buy one), I'd say the same thing for any other truck (except Nissan).  They are all extremely close in quality.  One should choose not only based on price but what they are getting for the price in terms of features, capability, ride quality etc.  Not because "Toyota is quality and others are not".

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rperez817 said:

I was in a Ford Dealership just when the pandemic started (about a year ago) and availability was coming in to question-this dealership was offering little in the way of incentives/discounts.  Just before I walked out I had the "mandatory" interaction with the sales manager. I said I wasn't going to buy one until I could get $10,000.00 off sticker. (As had been previously practiced at certain times of year) and he told me it will probably be "at least a year" before that happens. I said OK-I will wait. NOW-if "made to order" results in higher transaction prices"-so putting the Tundra on my list is a result of "unintended circumstances" of Ford making a change in the way they do business. I can pay (possibly) slightly more for the Tundra-get it back at trade in time. It's really very simple.

Edited by CKNSLS
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

Automakers don't want any negative press period, regardless of who is publishing it.  Many consumers agree with my statement.

Gone are the times where the red, half red, clear, half black and black circles mean anything.  It has been said time and time again that vehicles these days are far more safer and reliable than 20 years ago. The difference in quality and reliability between that best and worst are far closer than the Hyundais vs the Hondas of the 80s.  

And even YOU pointed out that the Tundra has basically been the same truck and the all new redesign may take some hits in reviews and rankings for quality.  So how would it be fair to compare a very old truck vs vehicles that are constantly updated and changed?

You also have F series that sell 7 times the Tundra (2/3s are F150s) so you will obviously have more problems when you build 7 (5 for F150) times the amount.  So is that taken into account with CR when they publish their little circles?

Google away in 3... 2... 1...

PS - Not knocking the Tundra (I wouldn't buy one), I'd say the same thing for any other truck (except Nissan).  They are all extremely close in quality.  One should choose not only based on price but what they are getting for the price in terms of features, capability, ride quality etc.  Not because "Toyota is quality and others are not".

Excellent points, the objective engineering qualities such as long term reliability, safety, fuel efficiency etc, are all virtually identical amongst competing products. Which is why design and driving dynamics are the most important components of a modern car, because that's what distinguishes cars for each other more than anything else now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CKNSLS said:

I was in a Ford Dealership just when the pandemic started (about a year ago) and availability was coming in to question-this dealership was offering little in the way of incentives/discounts.  Just before I walked out I had the "mandatory" interaction with the sales manager. I said I wasn't going to buy one until I could get $10,000.00 off sticker. (As had been previously practiced at certain times of year) and he told me it will probably be "at least a year" before that happens. I said OK-I will wait. NOW-if "made to order" results in higher transaction prices"-so putting the Tundra on my list is a result of "unintended circumstances" of Ford making a change in the way they do business. I can pay (possibly) slightly more for the Tundra-get it back at trade in time. It's really very simple.

Dude, just say you want the Tundra more than the Ford and be done with it. No need to keep beating around the bush. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, CurtisH said:

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking, too.  Sounds like he would really prefer the Toyota. 

NOT TRUE. I am still undecided. Have to see what the market price is (with both Ford/Toyota) and what the grill on the non-TRD Tundra looks like.

Edited by CKNSLS
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CKNSLS said:

NOT TRUE. I am still undecided. Have to see what the market price is (with both Ford/Toyota) and what the grill on the non-TRD Tundra looks like.

Good luck with whichever one you choose.  I’m not a fan of the Tundra, but either truck should serve you well. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

Yes sir blwnsmoke, that's taken into account. CR's automotive reliability survey reports the relative likelihood of a particular vehicle experiencing problems that owners consider serious, compared to the average for all vehicles. Like other reliability surveys, CR's reliability verdicts are based on problem rate (problems per 100 vehicles or something like that), not on the total number of people who submitted survey responses indicating problems for a particular model. As such, the fact that F-Series sells 7x more than Tundra should not and does not have an impact on the reliability data for either model, as both have more than sufficient sample size of owners.

34 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir blwnsmoke, that's taken into account. CR's automotive reliability survey reports the relative likelihood of a particular vehicle experiencing problems that owners consider serious, compared to the average for all vehicles. Like other reliability surveys, CR's reliability verdicts are based on problem rate (problems per 100 vehicles or something like that), not on the total number of people who submitted survey responses indicating problems for a particular model. As such, the fact that F-Series sells 7x more than Tundra should not and does not have an impact on the reliability data for either model, as both have more than sufficient sample size of owners.

So you think a sample size of 200-300 vehicles over half a million built a year is sufficient?  Gotcha.

• Like 2

The reason why Toyota has great reliability is they let every vehicle rot on the vine but people still buy them. Spruce them up a little bit on the exterior. I think the Corolla was still available with a 4 SPEED AUTO  in 2016. They had been using the same transmission for over 20 years and people wonder why the don't break.  How old is the Tacoma and 4Runner?

I expect the same for this generation of the Tundra, if we use the "truck that changed everything" but in reality changed nothing and merely had great specs on arrival as reference. After 4 years on the market, it will be an after thought for anyone not tied to getting a Toyota or looking for a good deal.  If I am getting 10 -12 MPG, it better be a TRX not some engine with half the power. You're blowing that resale value every time you hit the pump.

I've said this before, the target buyer for "most"  Toyota are people who view cars as an appliance. That's why what consumer reports resonates with these folks. I find it comical that one can rationalize buying an inferior product due to reliability and resale value.  To each their own, I guess! If you have ever driven a Camry or Corolla, you know it's virtually the plain no butter/sugar/fruit oatmeal of the segment. Plain oatmeal (no soul)! I think the only car that Toyota makes with any soul is the Supra and that's part BMW.

29 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

The reason why Toyota has great reliability is they let every vehicle rot on the vine but people still buy them. Spruce them up a little bit on the exterior. I think the Corolla was still available with a 4 SPEED AUTO  in 2016. They had been using the same transmission for over 20 years and people wonder why the don't break.  How old is the Tacoma and 4Runner?

I expect the same for this generation of the Tundra, if we use the "truck that changed everything" but in reality changed nothing and merely had great specs on arrival as reference. After 4 years on the market, it will be an after thought for anyone not tied to getting a Toyota or looking for a good deal.  If I am getting 10 -12 MPG, it better be a TRX not some engine with half the power. You're blowing that resale value every time you hit the pump.

I've said this before, the target buyer for "most"  Toyota are people who view cars as an appliance. That's why what consumer reports resonates with these folks. I find it comical that one can rationalize buying an inferior product due to reliability and resale value.  To each their own, I guess! If you have ever driven a Camry or Corolla, you know it's virtually the plain no butter/sugar/fruit oatmeal of the segment. Plain oatmeal (no soul)! I think the only car that Toyota makes with any soul is the Supra and that's part BMW.

At this points all the "teasers" (for the NEW 2022) point to a competitive product. It looks like a six cylinder with twin turbos and IRS. Calling the new model inferior-with very little information thus far-and before it hits the show room is really biased....but I get it-this is a FORD BOARD.

Edited by CKNSLS
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

At this points all the "teasers" (for the NEW 2022) point to a competitive product. It looks like a six cylinder with twin turbos and IRS. Calling the new model inferior-with very little information thus far-and before it hits the show room is really biased....but I get it-this is a FORD BOARD.

It always has been inferior so based on history, it's what we have to go by until we see otherwise.  

My neighbor, had an old rav4, brought home a new one.  Had a Tacoma and just upgraded to a Tundra.  Both look very boring and I hate the majority of their styling (including Lexus front ends).  I bet he is a CR subscriber.

Edited by blwnsmoke

19 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

Oh, I think it will be competitive at first. Much like the current one was when it was introduced. At first, it checked the boxes. However, the full size truck market is probably the most competitive market. If you are not continuously improving your truck and updating frequently, you are failing behind. That's not the Toyota way to update continuously. Thus, unless they change it will be competitive for the first few years and then left behind for another 12 years

15 hours ago, rperez817 said:

What is not figured in these reports is the number of trucks used in business. These trucks get abused to no end. Ford sells more trucks to business than Toyota sells trucks period. Keeping reliability basically even between the two sounds like a pretty good accomplishment. 

I have tried to find an article I read several years ago that discussed this topic and how it affects resale value numbers. I have worked in construction my whole life, and I can count the number of Toyota "work" trucks I've seen on job sites on one hand. I'll pass 10 of the Big 3 trucks, with company names on them, on my way to work in the morning.

Edited by 70 Stang

On 8/14/2021 at 9:13 AM, rperez817 said:

I'd hope that building largely the same truck for 14 years would result in it being reliable/well built.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

Your are correct. And if I took the time to do a "google search" on the F-150s there would be plenty of issues/recalls, etc. I don't really find posts of this nature in regards to any vehicle that fruitful. Look at the disaster of the Bronco launch, roofs, etc. 

Edited by CKNSLS

1 hour ago, CKNSLS said:

Your are correct. And if I took the time to do a "google search" on the F-150s there would be plenty of issues/recalls, etc. I don't really find posts of this nature in regards to any vehicle that fruitful. Look at the disaster of the Bronco launch, roofs, etc. 

It’s just a counterpoint to “Toyotas are more reliable”.  They’re not.  They’re all about the same.

• Haha 1