2022 Toyota Tundra Thread

rmc523

2 hours ago, TexasRedneck said:

Meh - I'm not so much about "latest and greatest", personally.  Heck, until last month, my stable included a resto-modded '58 Delray w/a gear-driven, bored 454....lol

There are some on the FB group "Tundra Crew" who think that their "V8" truck is going to go up in value once the twin turbo motor comes out. While resale will always be strong, when a twin turbo puts out more horsepower and torque ( and presumably more mpg) than the outgoing V8-it's wishful thinking. I had to remind them one of the country's biggest seller of trucks  (Ford) has a very small take rate of the V8 compared to the turbo motors.  

True..until you're rolling with a 10k lb utility bed service body truck.  I'll gladly take the V-8 over the smaller turbo any day - I'm not seeing good service life out of the smaller engines, nor is the shop that does my mechanical work.  And, yes - I run gas engine.  The diesel's have been so screwed up by the "green" garbage, you can't give me one.

17 hours ago, 22F350_SRW said:

You said it.  Bit on the ugly side IMO. 

That was the picture that was released first. Ironically-it is the worst color combination. While still not attractive-it looks better in some of the other colors. The one featured on their cover story is better-

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a37691954/2022-toyota-tundra-twin-turbo-hybrid-v-6-is-all-about-torque/

Scroll down for image gallery in the above link.

Edited by CKNSLS

On 9/24/2021 at 10:12 AM, CKNSLS said:

That was the picture that was released first. Ironically-it is the worst color combination. While still not attractive-it looks better in some of the other colors. The one featured on their cover story is better-

Okay....I looked.  Looked again.  Got over the dry heaves (finally), and I swear - if you were standing here in front of me right now, I'd give you one of the most colorful displays of the descriptive history of your ancestors you've ever heard.....LOL

I'm sorry - that thing is so ugly, I doubt I could bring myself to drive it if it came with a lifetime supply of bags to cover my face!

Did I mention that it's ugly????

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, TexasRedneck said:

Okay....I looked.  Looked again.  Got over the dry heaves (finally), and I swear - if you were standing here in front of me right now, I'd give you one of the most colorful displays of the descriptive history of your ancestors you've ever heard.....LOL

I'm sorry - that thing is so ugly, I doubt I could bring myself to drive it if it came with a lifetime supply of bags to cover my face!

Did I mention that it's ugly????

Somehow your forum name suits you....somehow.

• 2 weeks later...

It will be interesting to see some more reviews. I don’t think this was a bad review, but at the same time it wasn’t glowing either.  It basically implied the new truck will keep Toyota fans happy, which I’m sure Toyota considers important.  

It will also be interesting to see if Ford will eventually jump on the coil-spring rear suspension bandwagon. I do think it is an option they should look at adding.  They could basically steal it from the Expedition, so it doesn’t seem like it should take that much work to do. 

Basically the new Tundra meets "middle ground" for capability-and will keep the faithful happy. Conquest sales-I think the only manufacturer that has those are RAM. I don't think there is anything in the

F-150 (with the power boost-being the ONLY EXCEPTION), Silverado, or Titan to move anybody over to another brand-JMHO.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, akirby said:

Interesting that the turbo V6 has no low end torque which is direct opposite to Ford’s ecoboost.  I guess they’re using larger turbos for more top end power.

The way they described it, it sounded like it was more transmission tuning than anything - that it went hunting for gears and therefore couldn't give immediate power.

On 9/20/2021 at 4:55 PM, DeluxeStang said:

people who claimed the f-150 wasn't durable because it utilized turbocharged engines. 

Are those people claiming F-150 isn't durable because it offers turbocharged gasoline engines? Or because it's made by Ford? 

Toyota was the first automaker to offer a turbocharged gasoline engine in a U.S. market pickup truck 35 years ago, the legendary 22R-TE.

85turbopickup.jpg

On 7/27/2021 at 4:27 PM, CKNSLS said:

Your friends got very, very luck if they got a Toyota Tundra "on the cheap". Usually-they command top dollar-even at 11mpg.  And you can get 10grand off sticker-but that's rare as well-and you got to work VERY HARD to obtain that discount.

Maybe, these were bought second hand before the COVID driven shortages, right now the demand for trucks is unusually high. There is a saying "high tides float all boats" and in my opinion this is a driver for current market prices for all trucks. When my friends bought their used trucks when supply of trucks was plentiful, and gas prices were low buyers had more choices and buyers were still choosing trucks that saved them money at the pump. Toyota didn't drop the 5.7 on a whim, they must have market analysis data that is telling them putting in the 3.5 TT will increase sales not reduce sales. Gas prices are going up and I doubt they have hit their peak 11 mpg is not a big deal at around $2 a gallon, prices around $3 a gallon at some stations, however there are stations that are near $4 a gallon in places were people don't have much choice. The Toyota 3.5 isn't spectaculare however my bet is Toyota low-balled it so they don't have the issues Ford did with people suing because if you drive a turbo engine like an idiot they get power mpg than EPA. FYI: my truck now as 22k miles, it's broken in and in mixed driving the average is 21.7.   

10 hours ago, meyeste said:

Gas prices are going up and I doubt they have hit their peak 11 mpg is not a big deal at around $2 a gallon, prices around $3 a gallon at some stations, however there are stations that are near $4 a gallon in places were people don't have much choice. 

Toyota's lack of a BEV version of Tundra is going to become a major competitive disadvantage as Ford F-150 Lightning, Rivian R1T, Hummer EV pickup, Chevy Silverado EV, and Tesla Cybertruck come out in the next 2 years. Tundra i-FORCE MAX hybrid is a temporary placeholder at best.

34 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Toyota's lack of a BEV version of Tundra is going to become a major competitive disadvantage as Ford F-150 Lightning, Rivian R1T, Hummer EV pickup, Chevy Silverado EV, and Tesla Cybertruck come out in the next 2 years. Tundra i-FORCE MAX hybrid is a temporary placeholder at best.

There was a not-calibrated test on the new Tundra over at TFL Truck and it was sitting at 20mpg at mixed driving.  I would expect a few more mpg at highway speeds.

Edited by CKNSLS

On 10/17/2021 at 12:08 PM, meyeste said:

right now the demand for trucks is unusually high. There is a saying "high tides float all boats" and in my opinion this is a driver for current market prices for all trucks. 

Yes sir meyeste. Toyota Tundra is at the extreme when it comes to demand outstripping supply. Cox Automotive reported that in September 2021, days supply for Toyota Tundra was down to only 10 days. That means that almost anyone who wants to buy a new Tundra nowadays will have to request joining a waiting list and expect no sales incentives.

Toyota brand overall is down to 17 days supply.

Sept-2021-inventory-chart.jpg

21 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

That means that almost anyone who wants to buy a new Tundra nowadays will have to request joining a waiting list and expect no sales incentives.

In other words, exactly the same as Ford, GM and Ram the last few months.

35 minutes ago, akirby said:

In other words, exactly the same as Ford, GM and Ram the last few months.

Yes and no. Demand for full size LD pickup trucks from any manufacturer - Toyota, Ford, GM, Ram, Nissan - has been and continues to be extremely strong. However, Toyota Tundra is the LD pickup truck model with the lowest days supply at 10, making it the model that's most difficult for new retail pickup truck buyers to get without a sold order.  Prospective customers who want to buy a new LD full size pickup truck from dealer inventory ASAP will have a greater chance of success by going to a Ford, GM, Ram, or Nissan dealer versus Toyota. But even then, they may have to do a sold order or join a waiting list.

Toyota Tacoma is in the same situation, only 10 days supply according to Cox.

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Yes and no. Demand for full size LD pickup trucks from any manufacturer - Toyota, Ford, GM, Ram, Nissan - has been and continues to be extremely strong. However, Toyota Tundra is the LD pickup truck model with the lowest days supply at 10, making it the model that's most difficult for new retail pickup truck buyers to get without a sold order.  Prospective customers who want to buy a new LD full size pickup truck from dealer inventory ASAP will have a greater chance of success by going to a Ford, GM, Ram, or Nissan dealer versus Toyota. But even then, they may have to do a sold order or join a waiting list.

Toyota enjoys almost 50% of this segment.......not a  "loyalist product" like the Tundra.

Edited by CKNSLS
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, rperez817 said:

You’re conveniently looking at only September and not earlier this year when it was reported that most Ford, Chevy and Ram dealers had ZERO trucks on the lot.  The timing of the chip shortages is different for each mfr.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, rperez817 said:

You’re conveniently looking at only September and not earlier this year when it was reported that most Ford, Chevy and Ram dealers had ZERO trucks on the lot.  The timing of the chip shortages is different for each mfr.